American Express and SAS to launch co-branded card in Norway

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Robbiedeluxe, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally: http://www.americanexpress.no/eurobonus/

I'm just hoping they offer a better deal than 10 EuroBonus Points per 100 NOK and more like 25 per 100 NOK (which is, after all, more similar to what they have in Sweden; 20/100 SEK).

BGO-commuter, Silferlood and torbster like this.
  2. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    FINALLY. I hope they have a decent introduction bonus as well.. I believe this card was launched in SWE with 30k bonus points just for signing up and spending 5k with the card.

3. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a new company taking over the American Express distribution in Norway or is it still DnBNOR?

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    We can hope Amex will handle Amex, but I doubt it.. DnbNOR already handles the corporate EB/Amex and also the Trumf Visa which has a partnership with EB.
    Hopefully though, EB-Amex will add a little competition since mastercard and diners seem to be in collaboration (in the U.S. my diners was identified as a mastercard in several stores, and I also got the application for my diners card from mastercard.no)

5. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Norway, both Diners and Eurobonus-Mastercard are issued by SEB

6. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is still DnB NOR Kort, yes. The interesting thing is that it seems that they are about to launch a new AmEx level as well, Platinum:

[​IMG]

7. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, that would look nice with a bird on it!
    In any case it's good news, and I hope they will have a great sign up offer...

8. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed and I like...:)

9. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems that the card was launched today!

I just applied for the Platinum version of the card, and the website tells me to expect it within a week. Will report back on the benefits, but from what I can see on the website it's not too bad:

It comes in two flavors; Premium and Platinum. The Platinum card offers 20 EuroBonus points for every 100 NOK spent (compared to MasterCard's 10/100 NOK or 15/100 on Diners Club) in addition to a 12.000 signup bonus. They also offer a free companion bonus ticket once you spend 100K NOK on the card. Priority Pass is also included.

I'm definitely moving all of my spending away from Diners.

torbster and OSL_Commuter like this.
  10. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad their not free/discounted for EBG and EBP

torbster likes this.
  11. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've got minor hick-up and that is that I do not have a BankID so we'll see what happens when you apply for it manually.

12. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't received any info yet, even though I provided my email address both to EB and AMEX, but I see it's out there now :
    http://www.americanexpress.no/vaare-kort/

I agree this makes the diners obsolete. The earning-rate is significantly better, and even in the U.S. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the number of places that accepted my diners-card - where amex seemed to be accepted everywhere.

13. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same issue.. It also seems BankID is not just required for sign-up, but also for everyday log-ins to the account, so I guess we better put one on the keychain :)

14. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but I'm not sure that I can get one as I carry a D-number instead of real social security number. Anyone knows if that would be possible with a D-number?

15. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I actually left AmEx a couple of years back since I though their member service was so bad. Tried to book a reward ticket and it was impossible to get what I wanted, so I just transferred the points to KLM and made the reward trip with them instead.
    I'll give it another try to see if Norway is better than Sweden in terms of this.

For the acceptance, I would say that Diners nowadays works well in the US as it's working as a Discover as well. So no issues there in my experience at least.

16. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think AMEX (DnbNOR) will provide one with the EB/Amex-card..

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting card design. I wonder what benefits the Platinum level will bring. 20 points per 100 kroner spent is actually not bad at all, a huge improvement from the other cards

18. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    SAS just published the cards on their website. While it still doesn't say anything about price-reduction for EBG/P, it now states that the first year is half price, so 850 kr instead of 1700 for plat, which is pretty sweet..
    So lets hope that they cough up some reductions for EBGs later :)

-> http://www.sas.no/upload/SAS Norway/EuroBonus/PDF/SAS-EB-AmEx-Platinum-folder.pdf

OSL_Commuter and Robbiedeluxe like this.
  19. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I know that some people have received the annual fee waived (including myself), but I don't know if this is related to spending or EBG status.

20. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    You received the card already? :eek:

21. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, not the card -- but an email stating that. :D

torbster likes this.
  22. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the regular confirmation email :(

I don't think EB-status matters as I directed the question to their customer service (amex), and they answered (within 15 minutes!) that there unfortunately wasn't going to be any reduction based on EB-status. But that they "in the campaign period" (whatever that means) had half price for the first year.

So if you ever do find out why you got the fee waived, please let us know ;)

23. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Advertising already in place in some of their aircrafts. Taken on SK216 yesterday

Robbiedeluxe likes this.
  24. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit anxious about the fact that I do not have a BankID and how that will effect the outcome. I would not mind this card with a bird on it...:)

25. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have you called them up? My experience is that they are very friendly and understanding when dealing with "non-standard customers". AmEx was actually my very first credit card in Norway (when I was too young to have anything else), and they were very understanding of my situation (I was young, i.e. no credit history, but had a job that required some traveling the first year) — compared to SEB Kort where I was just "a credit score".

This is why I've always felt somewhat loyal to the brand, even though the product in Norway (up until now) has been rather bad. Feels good to be back. :)