American Express Adds New Benefits to Premier Rewards Gold Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by bigx0, Feb 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't pretend I don't feel a bit miffed about Amex adding great benefits to their Gold card and Gogo sessions to their Plat Business card and, umm, nothing to their regular $450 platinum card.

http://about.americanexpress.com/ne...remier-rewards-gold-card.aspx?linkId=12585057

NEW YORK, February 26, 2015 --

Effective June 1, 2015, American Express is enhancing its Premier Rewards Gold Card, adding more value with 2x Membership Rewards points for purchases at U.S. restaurants, a $100 airline fee credit for incidental charges such as baggage fees, and a personalized travel service. Card Members will also no longer pay foreign transaction fees when spending abroad....

daninstl, Newscience, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming soon...? Maybe... hopefully...

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice benefits, but they're also raising the annual card fee from $175 to $195. Funny how the AmEx announcement leave that little detail out...

Sammich and daninstl like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little unrelated but I just got an email that AMEX is cutting benefits to the free shoprunner accounts which may start requiring a minimum purchase size. Nickel and dimes I say.

5. moongoddess

Status Points:
    No surprise, I guess, since all those nickels and dimes add up to dollars when you're working on AmEx's scale.

6. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No foreign transactions fees will be helpful. And 2X points for dining will help but won't completely make up for the 15K points threshold spending bonus they took away, which still makes me mad.

7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    They're definitely making moves to make PRG more competitive with Chase Sapphire Preferred, with the addition of @x dining and no foreign transaction fees. But the annual fee was already too high, so I don't see how raising it by $20/year helps them there.

DJP_707 likes this.
  8. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet news today that the Premier Rewards Gold (UK) card is being *devalued*. From 22 July 2015, the annual fee rises from £125 to £140, while the current 2 x MR points on all travel gets limited to direct spend with airlines only. I mostly use mine on trains, taxis and hotels, so there goes that. They have slightly extended 2 x MR points on overseas transactions to include all foreign currency, but since all Amex issued UK cards still have a 2.99% foreign exchange fee, that benefit is rarely useful. (In the UK the double MR on groceries and fuel applies only to the first year.)

9. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Sounds like the UK version of the card is going to be pretty useless to most people!