American Exp Premium Car Rental Insurance Not always so good

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by alanfh, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alanfh

alanfh Active Member

Status Points:
    Used Amex PREMIUM car rental insurance for a fender bender I had with rental car company. In addition to damage, rental company charged "loss of use" and admin fee. Amex won't pay "loss of use" or admin fee. For loss of use, they need car company logs. Company says they are confidential and won't release. Car company (Payless) told me I should have used Visa card insurance, they pay loss of use and admin fee. Amex told me that there is a disclaimer on their agreement that they won't pay loss of use if the car company won't provide logs. So I guess I have to check with the car company to find out their loss of use policy before using Amex on a car rental.

Lairdma, iolaire, SuperKirby and 2 others like this.
  2. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the data points. Are these "loss of use" fees pretty expensive?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd assume they would probably charge you the "rack rate" of the car for however long it was out of commission. And what would be their interest in a speedy repair if they have a lot full of unrented vehicles?

So... which credit card or other on-demand policy actually covers this?

4. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if that is new with Amex. I used an Amex hhonors platinum card to rent a car in Costa Rica about 3 years ago. A rock cracked the windshield and the bill came out to over $700 (including repairs and loss of use) and Amex covered the entire thing.

5. alanfh

alanfh Active Member

Status Points:
    In this case the "loss of use" was $15 per day for 7 days. Relatively cheap on a daily basis, but I doubt the car was out of service for 7 days. scrapped bumper. You have to have really major damage for a car to take 7 days to repair.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may well have been out if service for seven days. If they don't need it for other rentals, why rush it?

7. You have to know which Country your AMEX is issued in as well. Canadian cards cover insurance in Ireland while US cards don't. I haven't heard of people not being covered for loss of use with Canadian AMEX cards. But it worth checking which I will do. Thanks for the post.

8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting ... If push comes to shove, I wonder how they prove loss of use then?

9. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this was a while ago, but did you end up taking a look at that for Canadian cards?

10. My business associate was in Ireland about three months ago and used his Canadian AMEX to rent from Hertz. He was aggressively pushed to take the insurance but refused and they finally gave him the car acknowledging he was covered by AMEX .

iolaire and cc1972 like this.
  11. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. It's nice to know that we get a good insurance with the card.