American Eagle

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PY08428, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Why don't we complain that over 40% of domestic flying is done by American Eagle. As a platinum member you are loyal to AmericanAirlines for the frequent upgrades and premier service on American Airlines flights, and that when American outsources their flying to the lowest bidder not only are you frequently forced to fly in one cabin aircraft, but the quality of service you have come to expect is not delivered.

JohnDeere19, Titans26, sobore and 5 others like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi PY08428, welcome to MP! :)

It's an interesting perspective, particularly when you mention that quality of service on American Eagle (AE) is poor. Many AA frequent fliers have been commenting on this site and others how much better the service is on AE flights as an AA elite. AE provides a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack to all Executive Platinum (EXP) and Platinum (PLT) elites on their flights, something that is difficult to obtain on American mainline flights.

Also, AE recently implemented first class cabins on many of their planes. Here is a link to a story announcing it from over a year ago. I've had the opportunity to ride in AE's first class cabin 8 times now, and on the whole I'd rate the experience much better then AA's mainline first class. The seat is a little smaller, but the service has been 2x as attentive and friendly. My personal belief is that the AE flight attendants are proud of their new first class product and take great efforts toward making sure it makes a positive impression.

Have you had a chance to try AE's first class product yet? Did it not go so well?

As for your issue with AA allowing AE to fly more routes, that's pretty standard across the US airline industry. All the major carriers have shuttle services flown by subsidiary or regional carriers. The cost of fuel and labor and AA's difficult fiscal situation is pretty apparently. With that in mind, you can't help but think flying AA's larger planes to destinations that won't fill the seats, filled with expensive fuel, and paying staff salaries isn't the smartest decision. As a loyal customer, I enjoy the perks of my status, but I don't think I'd want AA to start flying it's larger planes to every possible destination just so I could get an upgrade either. It's a balancing act and it seems the destination you live in, or the destinations you fly to, don't have the demand that warrent a larger plane from AA's mainline.

But then again, everyone has a different perspective, and I just wanted to share mine.

Again, welcome to MilePoint and I hope you have some good feedback for us! :)

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually many of us have experienced the same "frequently forced to fly in one cabin aircraft" on all other major airlines. The positive is that without the one cabin, we likely would not have had service to those areas since they likely would be margin at best for full metal. As to one cabin, there's been a huge effort and change in recent years to rid the one cabin experience and often these days on United, Delta and soon US Airways, there are opportunities—limited, but nonetheless opportunities—to experience a more comfortable and larger seating area than just one class with limited first class being added into RJs. American has FC in all CRJ-700s.

As for the 40%. If I recall, DL and US are actually or have been statistically much higher RJ than American. But .... I hear you, having eaten my own knees for a number of years.

P.S. Welcome to milepoint.

Mikel, mht_flyer and doc like this.
  4. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    See my handle and "about me" in profile for perspective. Regional jets and even turboprops are a necessary evil. In my experience Eagle is one of the better operators, AA has kept ownership in house and unlike other mainline brands has kept the contract lift nearly all in one operation rather than scattering it to the wind leading to different service standards and a lot of finger pointing. I will take Eagle any day over Mesa and ASA. 6 flights with AA this month, 4 are on Eagle's ERD and I really have no problem with that.

Mikel likes this.
  5. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with the views above. The F product on the CRJs is excellentand the staff, even in one-class ERJs, almost without exception offer a tremendous service to EXPs - attentive, thanking you for flying, plenty of free booze if you want it etc.

On two of my recent trips in F on the CRJ, a senior flight attendant has been training new FAs - young, enthusiastic and willing to learn and please. I'd happily take F in a CRJ any time compared to F in an MD80 or 757 and even Y in an ERJ isn't that bad on a reasonably short flight.

As Destination David and Randy P say, without the AE option there may just not be flights to many of the places currently served.

Mikel, Kaanapali and Gargoyle like this.
  6. It is really hard to find the size of the plane/real carrier when you make reservations. Even if the plane is NOT FULL!!!!, they, esp. Delta gate personnel, are requiring that small carryons be checked at the gate for a really delayed retrieval, Chinese fire drill, at the end of the flight when you are trying to make connections, e.g. to Europe in a different terminal. To assign a European/International partner flight number to a domestic flight on an outsourced regional airline is intentionally misleading! Do the peanuts and bad coffee come from France?

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

If you purchase your tickets from Delta, it's easy to find this information. On the phone, just ask who operates the flight; airlines are required to disclose this, Alternatively, ask the aircraft type; if it's a RJ (CRJ, ERJ, or Saab), you know it will be operated by one of the Delta Connection carriers.

When you search for flights on delta.dumb, if a flight isn't operated by Delta mainline (either Delta Connection or a codeshare with a partner), there will be a line below the flight, sort of a footnote, saying something like operated by...(name of carrier). You just have to remind yourself to look for this when booking flights. It's also usually obvious if you look at the seating maps for your flights.

Mikel likes this.
  8. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    I find the service on AE to be quite good! I just find the seats much less comfortable.

Kaanapali and Exiled in Express like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Mikel likes this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This (seat size/comfortableness) is more of an issue on AE especially when travelling with either large companions (or should we say normal sized companions and smaller sized seats?) or those with disabilities....

I agree the service on AE is much better on the whole than that on other American flights...
    Just for those now reading the thread (June 2011) and to update the above, I believe the complimentary alcoholic beverage to Plt elites has now been discontinued unfortunately :(

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Discontinued on July 1 I believe. Get the goodies while they're hot. ;)

Kaanapali likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And of course now the initial report has been updated to state that it apparently was June 1 and the July 1 date was a misunderstanding. :confused:

13. Hi. Could you please tell me if they are still extending the gratis alcohol to Exec Plat on American Eagle? Or did they discontinue this across the board.

14. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    As disappointing as they might be, I sure wish American Eagle would return service to SBP.

15. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! That's why I choose my flight/airline based on convenience and non regional jet service. I'm not loyal to the regional jet. I will take a connecting jet flight before I take a nonstop regional jet flight.

16. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree I am not a fan of AE but I do like the service. The seats are cramped and no over head space and at LAX you have to be shuttled to a different terminal. I fly AE almost every week and about every other week I get lucky and have a connection with AA or a direct with AA. I am so over AE.... An the coffee stinks too!!!

Mikel likes this.