American Eagle To Stop Offering Free Snack/Drink to PLTs?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Apparently two posters over on TOBB (LINK) are reporting that they were told a memo was issued marking July 1 as the date PLTs on AE will no longer qualify for free snacks/drinks. EXPs will still receive the benefit.

Any MPers on AE recently or in the future who can confirm?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am amazed at the uproar ...including the thread about meal selection (but then nothing surprises me) :rolleyes:
    Who in their right mind cares about about a $1.50 snack and drink (or airline food in general)

3. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    I care. It's a nice perk for the mid-level 'Elite' flyer that differentiates AAdvantage from other programs. I suppose it's a sign of the times and a reasonable cost cutting measure, but it's also a nice little extra I'll miss.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, my lifetime 2MM status becomes less valuable, even before they change the mothod of earning such status this summer... :p

Thanks for sharing this, will save me the embarassment of asking about it and being refused, especially in front of msgleff.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, the benefit was never extended to PLTs on AA metal. As an EXP, I'm happy to have this benefit on AE. Trying to look at it objectively, I guess I would be a bit bummed about it as a PLT. But, I think the introduction of upgrade seats on the regional jets was a pretty big plus for all elites, and I'd be glad to give up my free drink in coach if I knew I had a reasonable chance for an upgrade on a RJ.

6. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, UA no longer even has pillows on domestic F plus they now have the infamous gauze blankets. I guess AE is not alone in picking apart little extras. All these sorts of little perks that get yanked may not be the end of the world - but just come off as cheapskate-y and irritate customers. With the proliferation of RJs everywhere (some airlines would fly them TATL if they could figure out the whole in-flight refueling deal:p) the least airlines could do is make the ordeal slightly less unpleasant especially for their elites.

Falcon View likes this.
  7. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a minor perk, but one nonetheless. There are many people on TOBB mentioning that it's just not that big of a deal. Taken on its own, I agree. However, these "minor perks" are what make up the program as a whole. This was a chance to Eagle to differentiate itself.

I have the opportunity to fly on Southwest between ORD-CLE (the majority of my RJ flying) on a more comfortable 737. I have very little incentive to continue with Eagle on this route, since I will not re-qualify for PLT next year and since I've made LT Gold (but am nowhere near LT PLT in the near future). I'm not saying that I will abandon Eagle, but I need to evaluate what makes sense.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Chatter on the web this weekend shows some PLTs reporting that FAs on AE have stated that this policy change has been reversed and drinks/snacks are now being offered again. I can confirm on my DAY-ORD flight on Friday that the FA gave snacks/drinks out to the PLT seated across the aisle from me, but I didn't hear her say that the policy had changed, she just handed it over without a fight.

Tenmoc and gleff like this.