American Eagle Airlines to be rebranded as Envoy

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Sean Colahan, Jan 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And....GO! Discuss.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally I was able to get a link to a news story

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...name-to-envoy-2014-01-14?reflink=MW_news_stmp

American Eagle Airlines, Inc. To Change Its Name To Envoy
    All Regional Air Service for American Airlines will Continue to Operate Under the American Eagle Brand and Livery

[​IMG]

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- American Eagle Airlines, Inc. (American Eagle Airlines), a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines Group Inc., announced today that the company will be changing its name to Envoy in spring 2014. This change is being made to give the company its own distinct identity and eliminate the confusion between the company's current name and American Eagle, the regional flying brand of American Airlines, Inc. With the formation of American Airlines Group, the 10 carriers currently providing regional service for the legacy American and US Airways networks will all eventually fly under the American Eagle brand.

[​IMG]

"Our people and our company – which is one the largest regional carriers in the world with some of the best people in our business – deserve a name that is all our own," said Pedro Fabregas, the president and CEO of American Eagle Airlines. "By taking on the Envoy name, we can better differentiate ourselves from the competition and better market ourselves. This is important for both our people and our company as we further expand our ground handling business."

American Eagle Airlines has more than 14,000 employees and a growing portfolio of business outside of its flying operations, including a robust aviation ground handling operation. Envoy was chosen as the company's new name after an extensive selection and vetting process that included looking at more than 1,000 names and considering feedback from American Eagle Airlines employees. The name was chosen because Envoy is reflective of what the company does for the airlines it works with – serving as their ambassador and a representative to their customers.

Customers traveling on both American Eagle Airlines and American Eagle-branded regional air service will not experience any changes to their travel experience as a result of this name change. Ticket counters and gates will continue to be branded American and American Eagle and Envoy's aircraft will continue to operate using the American Eagle brand and livery. Once the necessary regulatory processes and approvals are complete, "Operated by Envoy" will be added to the company's aircraft paint scheme and noted on customers' tickets much like it is for American's other regional carrier partners currently flying using the American Eagle brand.

About American Airlines Group American Airlines Group AAL +0.70% is the holding company for American Airlines and US Airways. Together with American Eagle and US Airways Express, the airlines operate an average of nearly 6,700 flights per day to 339 destinations in 54 countries from its hubs in Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. The American Airlines AAdvantage and US Airways Dividend Miles programs allow members to earn and redeem miles for travel and everyday purchases as well as flight upgrades, vacation packages, car rentals, hotel stays and other retail products. American is a founding member of the one world® alliance, whose members and members-elect serve 981 destinations with 14,244 daily flights to 151 countries. Connect with American on Twitter @AmericanAir and at Facebook.com/AmericanAirlines, and follow US Airways on Twitter @USAirways and at Facebook.com/USAirways.

SOURCE American Airlines Group

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They already own the trademark for it thanks to the US merger. So I suppose that helps.

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats a good point. They would probably be getting rid of the Envoy branding with First/Biz/Coach of AA, why have to register another trademark when you can re-use.

viguera likes this.
  5. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sooo they're changing the name, but not really changing the name?

6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically. A while ago, the only regional American Airlines used was their wholly owned American Eagle. Then they started contracting with other regionals (SKyWest and Republic) but kept flying as American Eagle as both the brand of the American Airlines owned regional subsidy and the name of the American Airlines "express" carrier (like United Express/Delta Express/US Airways Express). Now with the merger it makes sense to change the name of the wholly owned regional subsidy, especially with the additional of all the regional carriers US Airways is bringing to the deal.

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Every seat on board is Envoy class"

;)

viguera and Sean Colahan like this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know...It's like flying your own private jet with 49-79 of your new closest friends;-)

basiface likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically... they won't change the name or livery, and the only change is that once everything is completed they'll add "operated by Envoy" to your BP.

basiface and Sean Colahan like this.
  10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! Planes and logos stay, this is more of a corporate business naming than a visible branding one.

basiface and viguera like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see the point and them using an already owned trademark, but I think it would have been a good idea to use American Envoy or something to that effect.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  12. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree about calling it American Envoy as well...maybe they will.

13. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I've had time for this to settle in, I don't like it! :) I don't fly regionals too much but when I do I make sure I book an American Eagle flight and not a SkyWest. I won't have that luxury since they'll both be under the Envoy umbrella. It's mainly a maintenance a fatigue concern. First the Airbus' and now this...AA is making it hard for me to be picky about my travel options with them, lol

14. gkwasi

gkwasi Active Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure? I read it as saying that it'll say "Operated by Envoy As American Eagle" Thus allowing one to avoid the dumpster fire that is Skywest

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No.

Both will be under the American Eagle "brand" rather than the American Airlines "brand" but all booking channels are required to disclose the actual operating carrier, be it SkyWest, Envoy or someone else.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more I think about it, the more I hate it... :)

I would imagine AA would have liked to do the opposite... "operated by Envoy" -- to the untrained eye -- is no better/different than "operated by Skywest" or "operated by ExpressJet"

Sean Colahan and Sammich like this.
  17. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just call them what I always call them when flying out of MSY: Late.

Flyer1976, basiface, brodyf and 3 others like this.
  18. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not bad, now when someone asks me who I'm flying with, I can reply:

Personal envoy. :)

/s

Sean Colahan and viguera like this.
  19. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally didn't not read this post before posting my reply. Now my joke seems repetitive :(

viguera likes this.
  20. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA ...its ok, wasn't the same joke. Keep them coming.

Sammich likes this.
  21. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that's funny!

MSYgirl likes this.
  22. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure at all...totally confused! Ok ok let me see if I got it right. When I go to AA.Com to book it'll say AA flight ### operated by Envoy as American Eagle (Skywest or whomever) the pilots name is Joe and he had steak and eggs for breakfast on the site, my boarding pass, and on the side of the plane???

viguera likes this.
  23. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D
    Sad but true. Every flight I have ever had on AA but operated by them is always late leaving MSY. Perhaps it's just my experience and not a schedule reflection on them, but my last four flights on them to DFW ended up with me missing my connection to London (and having to stay the night in a Dallas hotel while getting rebooked on another flight the next day). YMMV.

24. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks...didn't know that.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  25. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a US Airways person, I'll be careful when asking for a GoEnvoy upgrade now....it might mean something other than what I thought!

JetsettingEric and Sean Colahan like this.