American announces new daily flights from MIA to Brasilia and Belo Horizonte

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jbcarioca, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday AA announced that new daily flights for both BSB and CNF would begin in November. Both will increase frequencies from 4x per week to daily.

The BSB flights will continue to be 757-200 while CNF also continues to be 767-300ER.

AA has a number of otehr frequencies and destinations in the application process.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How dare them actually try to expand service on profitable routes:)
    We will soon learn (for the umpteenth time) that the aircraft must be coming from reduced SFO and BOS flights sures looks like the increased VX and B6 service scared them into actually trying to make money in SA.. the horror of it all:)

JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. The puzzlement that the airline would want to expand profitiable routes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Americans this news may look bad, but for us here in Brazil is awesome since give us more availability go depart and arrive in US!!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sweet more routes... more redemption options.....

Eloy Fonseca Neto and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is often easier to redeem to BSB and CNF than it is to GRU and GIG. It is fairly easier to get between those cities and domestic Brazil awards, especially *A, are fairly cheap.

7. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    7 1/2 hours in a 757, ouch:(

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not be making those flights. Reminiscent of Copa, with all flights on 737NG, even those of over 7 hours. The MIA-BSB scheduled at 7:45 is just as bad IMO.

Eloy Fonseca Neto and Open Fly like this.
  9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one wanted to visit two cities - Brasilia and Montevideo - how would one route that ? Would one use an open-jaw MIA-BSB-ARNK-MVD-MIA (with a separate ticket from BSB to MVD)?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can make BSB-MVB through:
    POA on G3 or JJ
    GRU on JJ, connecting to PU
    CWB on JJ connecting to PU
    The MIA portion is different. You may have a better price if you take the RT MIA-BSB, but it is also posible to get a good price with MVD as the destination. I'd price the itinerary both ways. Were i doing this one I'd probably use aa.com first, but any of the multi-site search engines like Kayak will do it too.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  11. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just took the Day flight back from Brasilia to Miami. I had an upgrade clear, business class and was happy to take a day flight. I got a lot of work done. I usually don't sleep many hours on the overnight flights from Sao Paulo or Rio. This was a welcome change. I also was happy not to have to go all the way south, to get to the north :) Brasilia is a gem to fly out of... Great hotels reasonably priced, and very little trouble checking in without lines. They have a movie theater for long layovers as well :) I could have used a lounge,,,, but other than that,,, great experience!!

Eloy Fonseca Neto and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for mentioning this. Maybe I'll try getting to Miami that way. It might save money too.

13. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem! Yeah I take about 5-8 flights to Brazil a year, and have been focusing on AA lately. I follow the pricing intently. This year almost all flights to Brazil have skyrocketed. Last year I never paid more than $900 round trip. This year, they have been routinely over $1000. I just paid $1350 on my last trip...

They have a lot more options with all the new routing, and it gives flexibility for pricing. With the pricing going up on Brazilian routes, flexibility is clutch. I found flying into GRU and out of BSB was about $300 cheaper than a straight round trip ticket through GRU.

I think one of the main reasons for the increase in Brazilian travel, is the strenghth of the Brazilian economy. The dollar is dropping, and remaining below 1.6/real. This gives Brazilians with more disposable income, a great opportunity to travel to the U.S.... I am finding more and more Brazilians on the routes, and less and less Americans. I think this is adding to the price increases, along with the higher oil cost.

I don't know where I was going with this, but the new routes are a welcome addition to drive competition :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO you were trying to explain the crazy high prices and low availability on most Brazil routes. These days Brazilians account for a huge percentage of Miami real estate sales. I cannot bremeber the last time I have had a nonstop GIG-MIA even though there are usually three daily flights. I usually fly C. Last year i paid $2900-3200 RT. This year I am finding $4600 and up. Going via BSB, if it saves a few hundred bucks is well worth the hassle. Copa has good deals via Panama, but then it is a 737NG all the way and I am not quite prepared for that.

From as Brazilian perspective I could not be happier. From a travel perspective it drives me crazy.

Eloy Fonseca Neto and yousavvy like this.
  15. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always try to buy the tickets with at least 4 months advance, that way I can get cheap fares on I!!! This year I'll be flying 7 RT from Brazil to US/Canada!! All of them with AA!!

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.