American Announces MEX Codeshare With Interjet

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Dec 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    From TheFlightDeal on Twitter:

American Airlines announced a new codeshare agreement with Interjet which will initially include 5 new destinations from Mexico City:

Huatulco (HUX)
    Villahermosa (VSA)
    Merida (MID)
    Tuxtla Gutierrez (TGZ)
    Oaxaca (OAX)

Interjet has over 40 destinations outside the U.S., so I could see this relationship growing over time, though maybe not to cities AA already serves from multiple hubs (Cancun, Cabo).

The announcement says you'll be able to earn miles for these flights but no specifics on how many. I'm trying to get clarification on that.

You can read the full press release here.

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interjet might make a good patch to something that is missing in the otherwise strong service to/from Latin America. While it's easy to get to/from Central and South America on AA, and there are good partners within South America, I can't go anywhere from Central America without first going through the USA.

With both AV and CM in *A, I don't see any total solution to the problem, but this would at least open up routes to/from Mexico that are currently uncompetitive and inconvenient. Although I'm planning to move to Medellin next year, that will open up some options within South America that I don't have from San Jose, but then I'll have no options to come back to Central America. There are probably more North Americans living in Costa Rica and Panama than any South American country, if not all of them combined.

I knew that this would be one of the losses I would suffer by changing from UA to AA, and I still have my Chase UC card to give me miles to use on these routes, but availability will decrease once my 1K status goes away at the end of January 2016. Along with it, I'll lose the ability to cancel for free, and that is something that has been incredibly valuable with my ever-changing schedule.

Perhaps Copa's new program will make up for the loss. I'm hoping to maintain some kind of status with them in addition to my AA EXP. They are by far my favorite Latin American carrier, and they would be my overall favorite if they would get Pre Check, WiFi and more power to at least their Clase Negocios seats.

Pizzaman likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wanted to jump back in with a quick update. I had answered a question offline for someone on this and wanted to post the answer from AA relative to mileage earning on MEX flights:

Just to follow up, miles will only be earned when the customer is booked on an AA flight number operated by Interjet. Then the AA accrual proposition applies, which means the 500 minimum mileage guarantee applies if the customer is an elite member.