American Airlines

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by gailshrine, Dec 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gailshrine

gailshrine Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone ever deal with American Airlines being so Difficult ... with wanting to change a Persons name on an existing ticket... I was forced to Lose out on $442 ` because an employee could not make a trip.... Finally got them to say they would send a voucher for future use ... and its been over 45 days an nothing yet... Will NEVER use AA again.

adrianors likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, AA appeared "difficult" in this instance because granting your request for a wholesale name change on a ticket would have been in violation of a published company or alliance or even FAA rule:

Name Change

For marketed and operated flights by American Airlines and American Eagle and for codeshare, interline and alliance flights operated by other carriers:

• Name Changes from one person to another person are not allowed.
    • Travel agents should not make any name changes in their Global Distribution System (GDS) or Computer Reservation System (CRS) in the customers ticketed PNR. The travel agent will need to call Sales Support for review.
    The best that they could have done for you, which they ultimately appear to have promised to do, was to send you a voucher...

edekba, foxberg and flynhwn like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. And this has been the case among all airlines for ages.

edekba, foxberg, alfagirl and 2 others like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well guess what? You are going to have to "use" them again if you plan to cash that voucher.:D

It quite surprising to me that in this day and age there are people seem to be unaware that one cannot change names (unless a typographical error) on airline tickets.

foxberg, adrianors, alfagirl and 2 others like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're so infrequent of a traveler that this practice is news to you, then AA likely won't care so much about the loss of business. Maybe Southwest would be more your speed?

Or you could buy fully refundable tickets. The airlines still sell those...

As to the "voucher" - they may not be sending you anything on paper. It could be that all you need is the record locator for the original ticket. And since you are NEVER using AA again, are you offering that voucher as a gift to some lucky milepoint member?

foxberg, adrianors, MX and 1 other person like this.
  6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try United next time and see what they'll give you...haha

foxberg, MX and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same problem all the time.. but I don't want to change the PERSON, I want to change my damn last name that never fits a reservation and always screws up with any benefit I might be entitled to.. anyway.. next time you buy something, read the rules before blaming on the seller.. it was your fault, not their.. and no, I am not a big fan of AA but you are the wrong one my friend..

foxberg likes this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean your last name doesn't fit in the confirmation email AA sends you? Cuts off last few letters? If that's the case I have ran into it with my girlfriend's name. And I found it to be irrelevant since the boarding pass would display the correct full name.

adrianors likes this.
  9. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I (or at least AA) has a problem with my last name.
    According to AA CS anything over 17 characters (mine has 21 without the hyphen), will cause a mismatch when trying to input my Advantage number into a codeshare flight (Alaska - all last year). I had to save every boarding pass and request mileage for every r/t. I also have to bring my Advantage card to avoid paying the checked bag fee. Nevertheless, every time I checked in for my Alaska flight, the agent would spend a minimum of 5 minutes trying to get my Advantage number in the record.
    Every time I book a flight via AA.com, I get an error that my name does not match that of the account holder. I have to put the ticket on hold (without my Advantage #) and call AA CS to have them ticket me (then I have to go back in and re-input my Known traveler id and passport). It seems that my AAccount info has all of the letters, but again, during the check, it gives me a (false) error.
    I cannot imagine a system that would have unlimited characters in the account last name and then limit it when the 'ticketing window' comes up (pre-populated non the less!)
    The agents have told me that this is an IT thing and hinted that since I am the only member with such a long last name, most likely nothing will be done to correct it.)

10. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    The State of Hawaii had the same problem. Imagine a 27 letter last name hyphenated with a twelve letter one. Then a first name that is 34 letters long. We thought it was funny until we ran across the same problem doing IDs for a school on Molokai. We fixed our program faster than the State did but not without issues. Imagine how it was for them when they were trying to learn to write their name for the first time.

alfagirl likes this.
  11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    yikes, my name is nothing comapred to that! I shudder to think

edekba likes this.
  12. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah.. I won't even count how many letters mine have.. but is more than their max.. both Delta and AA give me headaches about it.. Oh well..