American Airlines Wants You To Relax And Give Your Back A Break

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...o-relax-and-give-your-back-a-break-2012-08-02

American Airlines today announced it is the first U.S. airline to team up with BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery to launch a new service to help customers make their journey more relaxing and convenient. Beginning Monday, Aug. 6, customers who purchase the new Baggage Delivery Service can bypass the airport baggage claim upon arrival and have their bags delivered to their office, home, hotel or wherever else their final destination may be. Baggage Delivery Service, enabled by BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery, is available seven days a week, including holidays, at more than 200 U.S. domestic airports and select international Pre-Clearance cities. Booking the new Baggage Delivery Service is as easy as 1-2-3:

Read More: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...o-relax-and-give-your-back-a-break-2012-08-02

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, that's a pretty good service!

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice indeed!:)

perryplatypus likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about this. Sounds good, but is it really?

So, for any international trip, you still have to wait at baggage claim and deal with customs.

For an all-US itinerary, I could see it being worthwhile for a family with several bags. Actually, coming home from a ski trip with tons of stuff and letting them get it to my house for $50 would be pretty nice.

Here's a list of airports where it works:

https://www.vipluggagedelivery.com/american/locations.asp

uggboy and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  5. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, they should have it the other way around too... sometimes I have to check out of a hotel and then go do something before my flight. It would be nice to check out and head straight to the airport without having to deal with picking up the bags or carrying them around all day!

uggboy and sobore like this.
  6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree on the ski trip aspect.

Sherpa-ing those bags back home to the Bronx after a red eye from SLC = not fun.

Too bad they probably won't count boot and ski bags as "one" bag like the airlines do.

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some highlights from the FAQ:

Pricing and distance limits
    Standard pricing for deliveries within 40 miles of the arriving airport is: $29.95 for one bag, $39.95 for two bags, $49.95 for 3 to 10 bags. For delivery to destinations that are more than 40 miles from the arriving airport, the standard rate will apply plus an additional $1.00 per mile, up to 100 miles.

How many customers can be placed on one order?One PNR can be used per order. Therefore, if multiple customers are traveling together under the same PNR they include their luggage in the same order. Each order includes up to 10 bags.

What happens if my luggage is delayed and doesn’t arrive on the originally scheduled flight? We will contact you to obtain the airline-issued bag tag numbers that you received when you checked the luggage. We will file a claim on your behalf with the airline. We’ll the contact you with the claim information. We will also process a credit to your account. The airline will be responsible for the final delivery of your luggage.

8. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like more hassle than its worth. From a sustainability stand point this also makes no sense since an additional trip (possibly a roundtrip) from your home/hotel to the airport becomes necessary. I guess for families with a lot of luggage, seniors, etc this maybe a good service.

uggboy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine that this will see enough demand to last. Didn't UA have a similar service in cooperation with FedEx where they'd pick up your bags at home or the hotel and ship them to the destination?

uggboy likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't seem far fetched to me. The airlines already have to pay for delivery of delayed bags, so maybe this is just piggybacking onto those businesses.

uggboy likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it's probably using that same service. And maybe they are trying to optimize that service by creating more volume (driving the cost per delivery down). But I am not sure that there would be a lot of people willing to pay for it.

uggboy and SC Flier like this.
  12. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't using this service require someone to be at home to accept the delivery or do people not mind having multiple suitcases left on their doorstep when they go back to work?:confused:

uggboy likes this.
  13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I thought.

Yes, but that was something like $99-$150, I believe.

To me, I'd rather have the FedEx option, where it's picked up at your origination and isn't subject to the tender mercies of the TSA.

Nonetheless, kudos to AA for having this option.

uggboy likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, UA's service was pretty pricey.

If this service delivers a bag for $30 for up to 40 miles, can I put myself into the bag? ;) That's much cheaper than a cab.

uggboy, sobore and Juanefny like this.
  15. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    At first I thought this was a good service, but on second thought I probably wouldn't use it. Given I often travel alone, the elimination of having to schlep a number of bags would be worth more to me than the time saved bypassing baggage claim (given I have priority baggage, my luggage is usually amongst the first to come out anyway). When I have too many bags to deal with, I often take a cab so it's not as if I'm carrying my bags that far. Coordinating a home delivery would be difficult given I'm rarely ever home; and delivering to my office would mean having to take the bags home anyway.

I can see how some might benefit from it (e.g., those who would benefit from the time saves; elderly people; families).

uggboy likes this.
  16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general I like the idea very much: shows AA still has sparks of creativity not found in other legacies. :) In our specific situation, the baggage delivery will cost about the same as a cab, so it is a wash.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can definitely see using this service if i'm arriving at an airport notorious for slow baggage delivery and i need to get somewhere fast.

18. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delivery in what time frame???? hours, days, weeks. How about a guarantee?

Might be good for me when mapwife and I go on a cruise to have the bags delivered directly to the ship. (or coming back when mapwife has an additional suitcase or three with stuff she has accumulated in the week.)

But unless we get some time guarantee. Not so much.

uggboy likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How soon after flight arrival will the customers’ bags be delivered?VIP Luggage Delivery’s goal is to complete delivery within four hours of actual arrival or scheduled arrival, whichever is later to your final destination airport (including weekends and holidays). When you place an order, if you waive the signature requirement, our drivers will schedule your bags for immediate delivery. If you do not waive the signature requirement, you will be contacted by one of our representatives to schedule a time that is convenient for you to receive your luggage. Please be advised that for residential deliveries, we will not call or deliver luggage for flights landing after 11:00 pm. We will resume contact and complete delivery service by noon the following day. If your final destination address is a hotel, the luggage will be left with the hotel concierge. Deliveries made to a business will require a signature to receive the luggage.

uggboy likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This can work well for those living in full service condo/coop buildings with a doorman or concierge on duty 24/7, but if they're treated as residential rather than like hotel (or even business) deliveries, what's the point?

I think some foreign carriers have offered similar service for a long time, but I'm not sure how many people use it. German trains have had something similar for decades, but the bags are picked up a day or two early for outbound and IIRC arrive home a day or two later than the passenger, so that it's more like shipping a big bag as cargo.

uggboy likes this.
  21. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was gonna use this service since I'm going to ORD and it's easier to go on the train if you don't take bags. So I went on the website and tried to do it and the AA website says you can do it up to two hours prior to the website, but the VIP luggage website says 24 hours. So I was going to check it out... but it gave me an error message and didn't let me do it... oh well.. maybe next time ;)

uggboy likes this.
  22. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    The service doesnt go live till August 6th, so try again tomorrow.

uggboy likes this.
  23. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the title, I thought they were offering a massage in F a la the old Virgin Atlantic upper class :D

uggboy likes this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    About as likely as AA printing all future F boarding passes on gold bars. :D

uggboy and John777 like this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Local NBC affiliate in ORD just aired a short story about this new AA service. Interesting.

uggboy likes this.