American Airlines US to Japan/China for $299 (one-way) YMMV

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Azurik, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gemac likes this.
  2. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing as usual from SEA. boo.

3. Beyond seasonal adjustments, I think AA and UA will have to keep discounting airfare to compete with other airlines on these routings. (with much newer metal) Most of the planes US airlines have been using are approaching clunker age.

4. T
    The routes referenced in this thread are served by AA 777s, "clunker" is uninformed and ridiculous, average age, about 10 years.

5. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but I should have been more clear to say the Pacific market. Its been widely reported by analysts. AA , just like UA has a big shortage of Large long haul aircraft. I own stock in both of these airlines and its an unfortunate situation.

6. 10 year old planes are not "clunkers" It doesnt hurt my feelings it just hurts common sense

7. You sounds a bit angry and insulting to me :p
    As I corrected myself, I was referring to the US Airline Industry and more closely UA and AA, Not just AA on two routes, but the Pacific market as a whole. Sorry to move it so far away from the masthead. I will accept that on AA destinations in Japan and China, they are the newer planes in the market. As for common sense, I don't have any of that either :p

8. Well, might as well get my first hi-jacked thread out of the way on MilePoint - even if it's my first day of membership. I don't think it happened on any of my threads on FlyerTalk yet :)

4Health, noel, magic111 and 3 others like this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that's what the link says, but I'm not finding this fare on April returns. I do find it on March outbounds and March returns. When I look at it on ExpertFlyer, it says transpacific segments must be completed by March 31.

It's a terrific fare, just wish it was available a little later, when the weather was a bit better.

Microwave likes this.
  10. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ex-DCA, at least, you can leave on a Friday morning to NRT and return on Tuesday morning ex-HND to take advantage of the NYHND 2x RDM bonus. $593 a/i... seems like a decent weekend trip save for the weather.

Chamonix likes this.
  11. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm liking this......been wanting to do this MR, looks like this is a good chance for me. :D

12. Compared to the offerings of Asian carriers, especially when considering the quality and condition of the interiors, the term "clunkers" is one hundred percent appropriate for AA's 777. It's just common sense to those that actually have experience on Asian carriers.

RedTape likes this.
  13. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been a long time since I've been able to discuss this very issue with you. And I guess I won't since it's already been done elsewhere. Nice to see you :)

Cheers.

magic111, TuesdayMass and gemac like this.
  14. I don't get it... :confused:

But hi!

15. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    many days out of buf to nrt 700 ai

16. Ditto- wouldn't waste another minute trying to debate this here.

gemac likes this.
  17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is the perfect example of why great deals should be in one thread and "deal discussion" in another. (Though I am not sure that a lot of what followed the OP was actually discussion of the deal itself.)

weinskkb, noel, magic111 and 2 others like this.
  18. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I agree!

19. This deal also looks to be available to PEK as well as PVG.

In addition, some cities that are not listed in the AA advertisement have the low fare. For example, DTW to PEK (through ORD) is $295 w/o taxes, actually cheaper than ORD->PEK, which is $299.

If you're solely interested in a MR you can also do some fancy things, eg DTW->LGA->ORD->PEK->ORD->LGA->DTW for the same price as ORD->PEK->ORD.

Unfortunately I can't ever seem to get any of the cheap fares on a return flight unless the return is in March... I'd love to book a flight leaving March 31st and returning sometime in April, as the advertisement suggests is possible, but I can't find any of the low fares.

noam likes this.
  20. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your post.

Much like the Brazilian marathoner who was assaulted while running in the Greek olympics stated; "it could have happened anywhere."

21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. There will always be a few members who will post off-topic stuff to try to drag the entire thread off-topic, I'm not sure why. It would be nice if everybody just ignored them and went on discussing the deal, but it seems irresistable to reply to trolls. I'm making a real effort to ignore this kind of post.

barelyelite likes this.
  22. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    If all AA equipment had cabins and seats in the back or the front like their 777s we would be seeing one very competitive US carrier. All AA Pacific international flights (Japan, China, India) are on 777s. Now if PIQARO had said Europe/SA and referred to the 763 and 757 fleet that would be accurate.

23. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an amazing deal! Now, if I only had enough vacation time built up to take AAdvantage of it ;)

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a three day minimum. You can leave Thursday morning, arrive back Monday evening.

25. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. But, then I'd be short for a vacation I have planned in March. Ever since my company changed from providing "lump sum" of vacation days at the beginning of each year to an accrual system, I've had to plan my time off carefully (I almost never finish the year with days left to carry over.. I love to travel too much).