American Airlines- Updated Gold Membership Card

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MLW20, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    When American Airlines announced that it would be re-branding and getting a new look, I was looking forward to seeing what the famous logo would become. I've always liked the logo and didn't see a need for a drastic change but AA seemed to feel that they needed a fresh start to become the "New" American.
    [​IMG]
    When the "New" American logo and livery debuted, it was major news. From what I recall, the feelings towards the new look were mixed. I can't say that I was a big fan of the change but I did like the font that was chosen. I feel that the logo does not stand out and is actually similar to many other airlines. Either way, the logo really isn't so important to me and it will probably grow on me over time.
    [​IMG]
    After seeing the new AA logo I started thinking. Would American send out AA Gold membership cards with the new logo on it? The cards do have an expiration date on them so they would need to be replaced at some point.
    In October 2011 I reached lifetime AAdvantage Gold status. This was something that I was proud to attain!
    [​IMG]
    Last week I received an envelope in the mail from American Airlines. The outside of the envelope said AAdvantage Gold so I had a pretty good idea of what was inside.

I had expected to be receiving a redesigned membership card. When I opened up the envelope I was surprised to see virtually the same card that I already had. The only difference was where it said Good Thru- the date was changed to 02/14.

With all of the press and attention AA received for changing it's iconic logo, you'd think they would update the membership cards to reflect the new look.

Maybe next year's card will be redesigned to represent the new AA logo.

uggboy likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You realized AA published pictures of the new elite cards the day of the new branding release, correct? They might not be producing them yet, but we know what they'll look like. No need to wait. ;)

3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use a smart phone, they will also have an electronic version of the new cards which will have the newly branded card. For android it is found under "my account">"view aadvantage card".

I'm sure iOS has something similar.

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the electronic version on the AA iPhone app. Why bother mailing these old cards when they went through so much hoopla to promote the "New" American!

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Probably because actually changing the process of printing elite cards and the administrative process behind it isn't something that can be done over night? If they really invested time into it, I'm sure it could have been done. But let's be honest, there are more important things being done in the last few months than focusing on fast tracking the elite card update.

6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably a safe bet there were thousands of old card stock printed in bulk to get a cost savings before all this was announced so they might be using up the old stock instead of pitching it. Unless somebody has knowledge of a more print on demand scenario, that's going to be my best guess.

zpaul, Mike Reed and (deleted member) like this.
  7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait to get the updated card design so that it can go into my drawer of cards that I never use.

Mike Reed and malikguy like this.