American Airlines Unveils New Suite of Premium Products on International Flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JohnDeere19, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    American is the First U.S. Airline to Offer Turndown Service with Quilted Bed Topper, Pajamas and Slippers

FORT WORTH, Texas, Aug. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of its focus on continually improving the customer experience, American Airlines is introducing a new suite of premium class amenities. The product additions are designed with the customer's comfort and convenience in mind and will roll out on select international flights in First and Business Class cabins beginning Sept. 1.

"We believe this new suite of premium products is a wise investment because it enables us to provide an added level of comfort and style to the inflight environment – a sentiment applauded by customers on international test flights earlier this month," said Rob Friedman, American's Vice President – Marketing. "This initiative to further complement our premium customers' travel experience is another example of our commitment to make American the airline of choice for global travelers."

CONTD

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3321

Sagy, ande777emt, TRAVELSIG and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me be the first to say bravo to AA for improving their premium product!

sobore, jbcarioca, ande777emt and 2 others like this.
  3. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! Wish they had this when I recently flew DFW-LHR.

jbcarioca, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a real step ahead of the other US Carriers and it is clearly the right direction!!!
    A little side note: I mentioned I heard this was being tested to the purser and FA's in F on my MIA-LHR flight last week (hoping also to hear - we would have turn down service on 56 that night) only to hear her say "I was very much mistaken and that was not going to happen". Interested to see their face if any are working my next MIA-LHR flight in a couple weeks while their doing turndown service on my 1J ;)

sobore, jbcarioca, travlr and 2 others like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I welcome the gesture, AA has a long way to go to catch up with the consistency of the service - and quality of the in-flight food offerings - found on their OW partner carriers.

6. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    One small step for a non-US airline, one giant leap for AA.

Congratulations!

MJonTravel, Skye1, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  7. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news! Hopefully it'll prompt some other US-based airlines to match!

rwoman, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

Status Points:
    Apologies if this is a silly question, but where do you all generally change into the pajamas? In the lav?

I am super-psyched about the new amenities!

9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finaly, I am very happy with this news!!!

rwoman, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, lav.

rwoman, jbcarioca and Lewis like this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice move AA.

rwoman, JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would ask.... how are they going to improve the wine list....????

13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured they had a deal with you.

14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely.... not sure AA is ready to fork out the $$$ needed for the good stuff. I dont expect them to serve Krug, but they should be able to afford at least NV Veuve Clicquot for long haul International F if they are half serious about a true premium product...... but heck, what do I know...???

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally yes. This is a fair question, and pjs will raise a number of etiquette dilemmas which will be new to many.

Here are some other thoughts:

Though not applicable on AA (because they don't fly the plane), if a) the forward f cabin on a 747 is sparsely filled, b) those that are there are all of my gender and c) I am in row 1, I've discretely changed at my seat a few times. This is highly facts and circumstances based. The vast majority of the times, I change in the loo.

On 380s with f suites with doors, you could change in your suite.

Don't wear the pj's off the plane. One ubiquitous blogger wore the pjs while transferring in SIN - clearly a mistake - which he realized pretty quickly.

I've flown sin-lhr on qf f, then transferred to AA for lhr-JFK, also in f. I out my qf pjs back on when I got on the AA flight. While a few people looked at me a bit funny, I think what I did was ok, and have done it since. I wouldn't put on pjs for a 1 hour connecting flight, but having another 8 hours to go (in inferior surroundings, no less!), this was ok.

Generally, it is ok to keep the pjs. One or two Asian carriers really want them back (Ana?), but I keep a few pairs in inventory at home. When they wear out, I get some new ones.

Invariably, a few people will do some wildly inappropriate things on AA as these first roll out.

Lewis, rwoman, JohnDeere19 and 2 others like this.
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    At a wholesale price in the $20s, this is a very reasonable suggestion.

17. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make them an offer!

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Some years ago they did have pj's in F. I still have a few. Their lavs are pretty small for changing, but they are on BA also. I change immediately when I get on the plane, and never have had a problem. The A380 F, on all I have flown (AF,QF,SQ,LH) has an enormous lavatory so changing is a delight. Also most of them have only nine F seats so the setting is sybaritic. AA is a small-aircraft company so I imagine we'll never see 748 or A380 to give lots of room.

I will switch to AA for most US-bound travel now. Today only JJ has the decent amenities. Just in time for the OW Mega DO, I hope!

JohnDeere19 and Tenmoc like this.
  19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd really like to see this...I guess in UA F it's possible...not so sure about J on DL. :-\

jbcarioca, JohnDeere19 and Tenmoc like this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm interested to see what this new brand of products will be like. I got used to the Burt's Bees offering, though honestly it did seem a little low quality since it's offered in bulk at every Walgreen's check out in Chicago. I have literally 8 Burt's Bees lipbalms in a bowl near my front door since I'm a lipbalm addict, all from AA.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way to go AA: Invest in your premium product and premium customers will invest in you!

22. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could have used PJs yesterday on my flight from GRU to DFW on F!!!

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea.... need a purchasing contact at AA.....

jbcarioca, JohnDeere19 and Tenmoc like this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Don't get too excited just yet folks....

Looks like the APFA has filed a grievance about AA's new turn down service in F. LINK.

TURN DOWN

This week American announced their new ‘Turn Down’ service on international flights. When briefed by the company APFA cautioned them that more research needed to be done to ensure this was not going to cause an unreasonable workload for the Flight Attendants, and not in violation of the 777 agreement. The company has chosen to move forward. Therefore, we will be filing a Presidential Grievance and compiling information from the field concerning this service.

Your feedback will be essential. APFA has created a survey for those Flight Attendants working flights with this service. The form is posted on the Vice President’s page of APFA.org and is also available by clicking here.

Although we welcome an opportunity to offer more amenities to our passengers, we must ensure we have adequate time and staffing to perform the service.

Please be advised that specific issues concerning safety or service procedures should be addressed to your base Chairperson/Vice Chairperson along with the Company, but we ask the you copy any correspondence to asst2vp@apfa.org. Contact information for your Local Leadership can be found on the ‘Base Pages’ section of APFA.org.

Please continue to read the Hotline for the latest information regarding this issue.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A "Presidential Grievance" no less.

jbcarioca likes this.