American Airlines to eliminate First Class except for 777-300ER

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jbcarioca, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not miss F Class, have never flown in F Class.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have and I will. However, once the two or more years of upgrading Business Class has been completed I'll miss First much, much less.

horseguy, YULtide, jrp2 and 4 others like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not even miss Business Class, have never flown it. Only Economy, but unlike some others, I see nothing wrong with flying Economy. While some others claim they would not survive Economy we have been in Economy to the US, to South America, Middle East, Tokyo, Singapore and others. So what?

Fredrik, thegrailer, JALPak and 2 others like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many who do fly First and Business do not see anything wrong with flying economy either. Last year I flew Cathay Pacific First class from LHR-HKG and QF First class from SIN-SYD-LAX on the A380. But I also flew LAX-LHR-IST-LHR-ORD in economy and hop around the Midwest of the US in tiny regional jets with crammed seats. For me travel is much more about the destination than how I got there. I do my best to get there as comfortable as possible, but I'd never not go somewhere just because I couldn't eat caviar on the way.

This move by AA is a change but I think in the long run it will work out. It'll bring AA more directly in line with its US competition with a limited F service and more focus on a lie flat business product. I think the good news in all this is that F isn't completely going away like it has on DL, and that AA still plans to compete for premium cabin traffic. Just on fewer routes.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This surprises me. It is expensive to offer FC on only a few routes, with special designated aircraft to decrease scheduling, right-sizing, and IROPs flexibility, the need to train staff and offer FC check in space and FC lounges, the need for special service items, menus, catering, wine and alcohol, amenity kits, seat parts inventory, etc. To attempt to minimize the cost by reducing the distinction is counterproductive. Also, when connections are involved, people will be less likely to purchase FC (or redeem miles for FC) if they cannot have FC on all segments, so that offering FC in only part of the network reduces the demand for those FC seats.

It's nice to say that IFC is available, but the reality is that it should be closer to an all or none decision for international longhaul, with some leaway for dropping it in distinct leisure markets. I suspect that when an airline starts to eliminate IFC on some aircraft or some routes, there will be a tendency to chip away and eliminate more of it until it becomes inevitably clear that maintaining a bit for flag waving purposes means running it at a loss. There's an argument than it can work on certain profitable markets such as LHR, FRA, CDG, NRT, HKG, perhaps SYD, but I'm no sure that this works in isolation versus having FC be profitable in some markets only if it is maintained at a loss in other markets.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally agree with you. I think UA's approach is especially confusing, as I no longer know what to expect on any of their routes (with the exception of economy, which is the same).

However, I think AA is taking a sensible approach by limiting it to one aircraft model. By focusing on 777-300ERs departing from hub airports, they can probably avoid the IROPs issue and the FC check-in/lounge issue (although IMO combining it with international business check-in/lounges wouldn't be so awful as long as the in-flight product remains distinct).

8. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Economy is very uncomfortable for a long-haul flight, unless there's an empty seat next to you. I don't like being in others' personal space, and I don't like them in mine.

9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm understanding this correctly 3 class configured aircraft will now be only a 2 cabin aircraft--- assuming my understanding is correct:

Will AA's 762's transcons will become only J & Y only, or will they keep the 3-Class cabin until the 762's are retired?

Will domestic [non-transcon] F be re-branded/considered J, like on US-Mexico/US-Canada routes?

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  10. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    nothing wrong with economy: but i am 6'4feet and had a monthly flight from sfo to germany last year - trust me, i was glad that all those flights were in business...(and one or the other upgrade to first :))

11. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, jbcarioca and JonNYC like this.
  13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown across the atlantic and pacific in coach and don't want to do it again. It's a lot more relaxing to do it in business. I don't know about First as I've never flown it (only flown top class in 2 class configuration), but If they eliminated business I'd stop flying that airline. I value a less stressful environment and I also value my kneecaps, at 6'4, though not abnormally tall, a coach seat is extremely uncomfortable....and yet somehow I still fly Southwest short haul.

As for AA First, I think this is a good move. It will allow them to add features to business to better compete with other carriers without wasting their efforts on ensuring that the first class product is markedly better than the business.

LETTERBOY, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I said the same in this thread but it seems some consider the "new" stories noteworthy. I'd prefer they at least be posted in the same threads since they're the same topic and don't add new information, but that's just my personal preference.

John777, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted these two threads only because AMR made a big deal of them at the beginning of Farnbourough. On the FC case only they did add the firm policy statement which previously was not made, in that they were making individual A/C type announcements. In retrospect I probably should not have so easily repeated their publicity stunt.

Sorry.

JonNYC, LETTERBOY, John777 and 3 others like this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with this 100%. I have flown coach cross-country and TATL in the past, and I am willing to do so in the future, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I'd much rather fly in a premium cabin.

jbcarioca likes this.