American Airlines Tests New Boarding Procedure

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by uggboy, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || American Airlines Tests New Boarding Procedure ||

[​IMG]

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    makes sense

3. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting post

jbcarioca, downhillcrasher and uggboy like this.
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they would just enforce the normal boarding policy and turn away those who are trying to board out of group, it would make the boarding process faster and more efficient.

When the GA continues to allow Group 4 or whatever to board with First and EXP vs turning them away it does nothing to deter them from doing it again.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having flown FL for the first time in recent years, I have to appreciate their zone assignment process. Back to front, roughly. So if you're not elite (Zone 2, following Business Class in Zone 1), you can choose - sit in the back, board earlier and get overhead space... or sit near the front, board later and hope. This makes people think about seat assignment (or perhaps punishes them for not selecting seats) and provides discernible benefits to elites, much like AA's boarding of F/EXP, PLT, GLD/PA... then everyone else.

jbcarioca, jmjgp12, Aktchi and 2 others like this.
  6. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I flew VX (about a year ago), they did this at boarding. I thought it worked well enough, expect for the @$$ who boarded first then threw his giant laptop bag and giant coat in the overhead anyway. Of course, I personally never saw any need to get on a plane early if I didn't need the overhead bin space.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this different from any other airline?

8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be better to board those with overhead only carry on first?

uggboy likes this.
  9. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this idea, though it's questionable whether the "gate lice" who clog up the area are going to back off and let the no-overhead-bags people through, any more than they do for First Class or elites. I'm sick of having to elbow my way through the crowd. The GAs need to make people sit down (or at least back up and clear a path) until their group is called.

jmjgp12 and The Boat like this.
  10. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1, and isn't it just going to be the same old scrum once everyone is on board? If given the chance to put everything in the overhead compartment, the people with minimal baggage will probably want to do that and conserve their leg space. Therefore, wouldn't it exacerbate the situation when people with the larger bags come on board and start moving others' baggage? Maybe they should enforce the 1 carry-on + 1 personal item rule and be done with it.

blackjack-21 and free101girl like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I routinely see people board AA flights with Zone 5 boarding passes that have seats in the back of the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not if you want to incent people to not bring carryons for the overheads.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

janejanejane likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does AA do window/middle/aisle rather than back to front for non-elite boarding?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm honestly not sure. For all I know it may be random.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this has anything to do with expediting boarding or your personal convenience. This has more to do with rewarding people who aren't taking up overhead space.

16. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but how is it a "reward" if those people can't get through the mob at the gate to board the plane early? That's my point.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a "mob" because of two primary things:
    1. Airport gate design, where gate areas are rather small. Not just size, but there are around 50 seats in the area for flights that have anywhere from 50 to 450 people per flight.
    2. There is a huge "MOVE IT!" mentality the moment you arrive at the airport. From the time you're dropped off outside, to the security checkpoint, to the boarding process, to sitting down on the plane (how many times have we been asked during boarding to hurry up?), it's in everyone's best interest that passengers hurry up. Including being ready to board at the gate.

Most people don't start congregating at the gate entrance until about five minutes before boarding, when they make the "heads-up" announcement. If wading through people bothers you that greatly, I'd suggest getting to the gate a few minutes earlier, because the mentality and physical structure around boarding is not going to change anytime soon.

Seat6A likes this.
  18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    True enough, the choice appears to be, either you wade through people or they wade through you. :)

19. hotel-lover

hotel-lover New Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... I wonder if they still do this? I can't recall my last AA flight...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  20. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are still doing this. Honestly, not sure why anyone would be motivated to do this. If I have checked bags and no carry on items (which is usually the case when I check bags,) I am likely to be the last person on the plane. Why on earth would I want to be on the plane earlier than everyone if I do not have a roll-aboard bag?

hotel-lover likes this.
  21. hotel-lover

hotel-lover New Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I agree... I like to board first so I can settle in my seat, maybe have a nap... ;)

flyforawg likes this.
  22. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I know one of the reasons someone would do this. :)

23. janejanejane

janejanejane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too with the napping. I usually view boarding as a check mark on my to do list at the airport. Security, check. Board, check. Plug in my phone in seat to charge, check. Now to mentally focus on other things.

Seat6A likes this.
  24. janejanejane

janejanejane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and I've seen them board this way at DFW at the gate next to mine on my last MR. Maybe they're randomly testing out?

25. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Jane3; I board early so I can stow my bag(s) where i want, check emails, and if necessary open the laptop and respond to same.