American Airlines service to Manaus, Brazil (MAO). Does AA really fly there?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ceieoc, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to redeem my AAdvantage System Wide Upgrade https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/vpupdate.jsp
    from Detroit, Michigan (DTW) to Manaus, Brazil (MAO) for July 5 with a return July 12, 2012. According to the American Airlines web site, non-stop service is offered through Miami, Florida.
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/newServiceRoutes.jsp#!international

I tried to book it, but there is no availability on American Airlines. When I called reservations, I am told American Airlines does not offer this route so you may not redeem a AAdvantage System Wide Upgrade to this location.

Does anyone know how to book flights on American Airlines to Manaus, Brazil?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at skyscanner.net, I only see a mix of routings with DL, US, TAM, UA/CO, and Copa...nothing on AA.

Looking at your routing on aa.com, it's AA metal to MIA and TAM to MAO. It sounds like SWU's are not redeemable on TAM.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking here, it looks like flights on TAM (JJ) do not earn AAdvantage miles...hopefully someone else can provide more insight!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA announced service to MAO and then canceled it in October. See info here: LINK and original MP posts here: LINK.

And yes, AA SWUs currently only work on AA metal, no one else. :)

jbcarioca, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA codeshares with GOL (G3) for MAO service. TAM is not a current AA mileage earning partner, but with the pending link up with LAN and potential move to OW, it may be possible in the future.

OP can take a flight from the US to GRU on AA metal using a SWU and continue on G3 metal in economy. Obviously other options possible as well in to Brazil/South America and on to MAO.....

jbcarioca, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha - I based my statement on aa.com bookings that showed up with those dates. :)

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense, if you limit the search on AA. com to only AA flights, it won't show the TAM options, only the G3 codeshares. :)

Being LHR based you probably have your search set for AA and OW options, and it's showing a LAN flight operated by TAM?

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course...:D Granted, I always have it listed for "All carriers" since BA is a viable option from LHR! ;) Darn the default!

jbcarioca, zpaul and DestinationDavid like this.
  9. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, DestinationDavid. AA apparently has not updated their web site since last year in October.

I am trying to find a URL that lists all the valid AA destinations, to redeem my AA SWUs.
    Does anyone know if this exists?
    When I pull up the AA route map it combines the partner airlines.
    SWU upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection flights offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel and not valid on codeshare flights.

jbcarioca, rwoman and zpaul like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The wiki has a list, though it is not 100% up to date (DEL still included, ORD-FRA etc...): LINK. I'm not a registered user so I cannot edit it myself, but I'd say it's safe to use if you have a small amount of caution.

FYI: I poked around a bit, and AA still lists MAO service as now starting on 6/14/2012 from MIA. LINK.

Not bookable yet though.

jbcarioca, ceieoc and rwoman like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA did have flights MIA-MAO but has suspended them. There is no way to redeem AA to MAO at the present time. They will start the service again in mid-April.

rwoman likes this.
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if that AA list hasn't been updated. The story you linked to in your first post said the route was due to start 6/2012, but was cancelled.

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised, but the linked story also lists that it might be added back when the summer schedule is loaded. Maybe the AA rep will see this and comment to clarify.....?

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have said they'll begin in late april. However, MAO is always on again, off again, for some reason I don not understand. It always is 738, when it happens.

rwoman likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was this in a Brazilian newspaper? I haven't seen anything from AA since the Oct cancellation on MAO. They should probably open ticketing for the flight soon if it's starting in April. :eek:

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  16. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Your link to the international destinations at flyerguide.com was exactly what I was looking for. At the top of my post I was referring to the same AA link that states AA flies to Manaus, Brazil on or after June 14, 2012. I can see why customers get frustrated with American Airlines when they do not keep their website accurate and up-to-date.

Perhaps AA should set up a wiki. Then, registered users could edit and correct the changes or errors in AA service schedules and destinations. Customers would appreciate receiving accurate flight schedule information instead of three month old and outdated information currently advertised on-line at AA.com

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was an announcement a few weeks ago in Valor, our Wall Street Journal-like paper. With a few of the seasonal routes teh announcements seem to have been only local. I have zero insight about bit, nor do i rely on anything other than actual ExpertFlyer flights shown.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ETOPS with a 738? Aren't they away from land for a while if they fly the direct path?

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When would they be far from land? There is always Cuba, Haiti, DR, Aruba, etc along the route. No different than the flights to Venezuela that operate with 738s.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really, the flight is almost all over land. In addition it is well within range for the 738 being 2400 nm, usually with mild winds.

geclub1 likes this.