American Airlines Opens Flagship Check-In At MIA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Jul 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10736804/american-airlines-opens-flagship-check-in-at-mia

Just in time for the busiest travel week of the summer, American Airlines premium customers at Miami International Airport (MIA) will enjoy an expedited and personalized check-in experience as American opens its second Flagship Check-In. Like Flagship Check-In at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), this exclusive check-in experience at MIA is designed to enhance and customize the travel experience for a select group of American's high-value customers.

Flagship Check-In will offer premium customers a separate security line and a private, expedited experience with customer service representatives who can assist with a variety of individual travel needs. This includes baggage assistance, seat and itinerary changes and connecting flight information. Premium customers eligible for Flagship Check-In at MIA, as well as LAX, include:
    ConciergeKey(SM) members. Customers of American's Five Star Service – a personal one-on-one airport assistance program provided on the day of travel. First Class customers traveling onboard an American Airlines three-class trans-continental aircraft flying between MIA and LAX, and from LAX to JFK. First Class customers traveling onboard an American or select oneworld® alliance international aircraft anywhere in their outbound itinerary. For a complete list of eligible carriers, please visit www.aa.com/flagshipcheckin.

Read More: http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10736804/american-airlines-opens-flagship-check-in-at-mia

2. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A welcome addition for those that can use it. Have gotten rather accustomed to Flaghsip Check-In at LHR "not" requiring F-class.....am thinking with this growing F-checking network, it's only a matter of time....sniff.....

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If AA would reinstate F for flights to GIG I could use Flagship Checkin. If I had CK...

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unless I'm mistaken they've expanded eligibility slightly to include those who are traveling in F on select oneworld carriers at some point on the itinerary. I believe previous information only referenced AA flights: LINK.

• Traveling First Class onboard an international American or select oneworld alliance® carrier* anywhere in your outbound itinerary

*Eligible oneworld alliance carriers include, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. These carriers offer an international First Class service, which is defined as First Class service onboard a three-class (i.e. First, Business and Main Cabin) or four-class (i.e. First, Business, Premium Economy and Main Cabin) aircraft.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were responding to me, the AA FC from GIG to MIA was eliminated soem time back when they switched to the two class 767 on the route. At the moment AA has no FC out of GIG, but they seasonally operate a three-class 777 to JFK. From time to time they've done so for DFW and MIA also, but not recently. GRU OTOH has the first 777-300 and F to most AA destinations from there most of the time.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, my post isn't linked to yours at all. It's simply noting that the eligiblity expanded to include customers with an F seat on partner airlines where as the LAX opening's press release only referenced AA flights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One does get the impression that Flagship Checkin and Flagship Lounge are gradually being expanded, and that there will be some equally gradual increase in international F service also. I cannot help but think that there is a move, slow but steady, to counter the yield erosion due to EK, EY, QR and the A380 carriers. I am not suggesting a huge change to the classes of the 1980's, but I do see increases in F coming again. The absence of Flagship checkin for EXP with international C makes it seem even more as a planned growth in Elite benefits base on revenue, thus arguing for more F.

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a pitty they don't have one single aircraft with a F class inbound/outbound to/from GIG! I think our Rio deserves at least one 777!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    a welcome addition

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have BA, with no F. But we've LH, JJ, EK with excellent F services. My favorite is JJ, of course.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps if JJ decides to join OW, one might be able to use the MIA Flagship Check-In to GIG if the policy is followed to its logical conclusion of allowing use by passengers with a F seat on a OW partner. Flying MIA-NYC on AA just to connect to JJ to get to GIG seems a bit out of the way though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    JJ has FC from GIG to both MIA and JFK, and uses the Virgin lounge at JFK. I am sure they'll have the MIA Flagship access, they did in the old MIA Flagship lounge when they were allied with AA before joining *A. I hope they'll be back well before the two years they have to decide which alliance to join.

13. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now, let's hope JJ acts soon and join the OW alliance, perhaps it would bring a "premium" competition to AA making them using at least one route with the 777 to/from GIG. And let's not forget that the F class on the 772s are about to go!

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear. But if you have Flagship check-in you gotta have a Flagship lounge!

AnthonyB1609, jbcarioca and MX like this.
  15. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is a flagship lounge in Miami. I know there was one near the joint club room BA-IB-AA, but AA closed it and never talked about it again!

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Puzzles me that they don't prioritize ORD which is a much more important business market than MIA

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah. Chicago as an Important business market=yes. As a Hi-yielding long haul first class travel market=no.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the issue is that there's not a lot of international "F" offerings on OW ex-MIA. IB has business class, but no F, and much of AA's flights heading south are two-class 757's and 767's.

As EFN posted upthread, there's the "Premium Lounge", joint offering of BA/AA/IB, yet it's a re-badged AAdmirals Club with food.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, First on American is mostly biz passengers upgrading to First in all markets. I would claim that ORD-NRT, ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG in addition to European destinations, gets a lot more yield in biz than South American destinations

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree with you- however perhaps to the Far East destinations customers paying for First are flying Asian carriers?

MIA and AA do have a very strong hold on the Latin America markets- EZE/MIA for example is one of the few flights I have ever seen where F actually sells out with paying (not upgrading) customers.

AnthonyB1609 and jbcarioca like this.
  21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not if they want to go non stop . If you're on a business trip, non stop would be something you pay a premium for, The options are UA and AA, except NRT, that has NH 3 cabin, JAL only offers slanted biz (no thanks..). F will usually go for around 14K r/t to China, while MIA-EZE/GRU is around 6-7K. Many fares to Asia cost the same as F to South America in biz. (I paid 7K ORD-SIN-ORD last time I went for work)

Also, the number of flights out of ORD that actually offers 3 cabins on AA, must be a lot more than you see out of MIA.

United has the Global lobby with access to get to the front of the security line and an international First lounge reserved for First passengers only while AA has no premium check in, security and has a flagship lounge that's OK, but often very crowded and open for EXP/BA Gold etc. AA also has overseas competitors that fly out of T5

Miami is pretty much a pit anyways, I never visit the Admirals Club down there, it's a zoo. I try to fly out of FLL if I can to avoid MIA all together. The Flagship check in feels so out of place to the entire experience and there's no competition and no reason for AA to spend money on something like this in MIA IMHO. If they want to get the yield at ORD, they should step up the ground product in line with the upgrades they are investing in in the air.

jbcarioca and Skye1 like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The air traffic data tell a different story. Obviously ORD is much more important domestically than is MIA, but our subject is Flagship Checkin and Lounge potential. AA serves nine international destinations form ORD, and another eight seasonally. They serve 53 international destinations from MIA. Further MIA is the second largest US airport for international passengers (1.7mm in March 2012) after JFK (1.9mm), while the only other US airport in the top 30 is LAX (1.3mm). Both ORD and MIA have BA and IB serving only LHR and MAD respectively, but ORD has CX and MIA has 10 destinations from LAN and 5 from TAM (with FC on almost all TAM flights). I include TAM because they'll probably be OW within a year.

The problem with these data is that we do not know the Premium passenger volume, so cannot estimate accurately the Flagship eligible passenger volumes. We do know AA puts FC on most flights from GRU to MIA, and I estimated by a quick equipment review that they have FC on about 15 daily international flights from MIA (estimated because I have not made a flight by flight review). The probably have more than twice the premium Flagship eligible passengers through MIA than they have through ORD. With BA and CX added for ORD and BA and JJ (future) at MIA (the others have no FC), MIA has more than twice the OW FC than does ORD,

Demographically the story becomes more interesting too. Obviously the Chicago Metropolitan area with 9 million people is far more important than is the Miami one with 5 million. However more than 60% of the Chicago are population was born in Illinois and 17.5% were born outside the US, (41% of whom came from Mexico), while 36% of the Miami one were born outside the US ( 30% of those were born in Cuba). Miami also has the highest purchasing power in the US ( http://www.citymayors.com/economics/usb-purchasing-power.html), and is the second home for many wealthy people (Roughly half the real estate sold in Miami metro area is to foreigners, many for cash (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/02/14/for-miami-real-estate-better-to-be-a-foreigner/). These same people also produce the highest sales of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Roll-Royce, Maserati etc in the US, and global dealer leadership in the brands for several of these. (a quick visit to The Collection in Coral Gables makes it very clear the buyers are not predominately domestic, and many of these people show up in premium cabins, not on upgrades but on full fare FC.

Not to drone on and on, but from the perspective of premium air service MIA has a much larger market than does ORD. ORD has a very clear ultra-long haul market for Asia, so ORD will clearly justify those amenities too. The MIA problem is how to get enough people out of private aircraft and into FC. For that the amenities help, but angled business class as the top option does not. Thus FC is always full to MIA, as is Business, but the passenger demographics and yields are dramatically different.

_kurt likes this.
  23. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Not much sense in making something so nice on the outside when it's a mess on the inside. To specify further on that would hijack this thread into one of any/many on what a pit MIA is.

I've had 5-Star Service (paid for by a company, not myself) at MIA on a couple of international connections, and it didn't "smooth" things out that much...fantastic AA staff to be sure, yet really just a companion thru the chaos.

As for the A/C, indeed, the "Great Hall of Green-ness" is often quite crowded, yet if one has the patience to walk to the far back, there's occasionally quiet rooms/areas for work & rest. Occasionally.

That said, the emergence of Flagship Check-In at MIA may mean that someone, somewhere is thinking on the experience, looking at how to make it better for premium customers, and had their reasons (albeit mysterious) for chosing MIA. Better something than nothing, I suppose.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree AA's first is inferior to the Asian products (even some Asian J services), the Latam market has a surprisingly strong yield on F service based on the data I've seen from time to time.

ORD didn't get five star till after Miami, too. All of AA's actions are consistent with my view that Mia international premium is more lucrative than ORD international premium.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Untrue for several key markets. GRU MIA is business people in F, very rarely do upgrades go there, except for the odd eVIP. Ask the MIA AA station manager about international F and C yields compared with other AA hubs.

[​IMG] 995 11:40 PM
    MIA
    08:55 AM
    GRU

[​IMG] Flight Details

* Overnight flight or connection​

$1648

$2223

$3697

$4959

$3717

$6258

[​IMG] 187 07:00 PM
    ORD
    09:30 PM
    PEK

[​IMG] Flight Details

$874

Not
    Available

$3011

Not
    Available

Not
    Available

$3781

$10914

$4083

Sorry Tommy, but ... the posted fares are for the same dates from AA.com just now. The far right column is the FC fare. Possibly that may be why the first 777-300 to arrived goes from DFW to GRU?

AA is just now reestablishing the MIA Flagship Lounge. MIA does have premium checkin, (see top of this thread).

No argument about your personal view fo the MIA pit. To each his own. MIA is so busy with international flights and has so many very serious premium customers that is is rare for low level people like us to get special attention. Leaving MIA last week in my cabin were a former President of Brazil (he lives part time in Miami), a world famous model, the President of a major oil company, two members of the Forbes Rich List and me, one of a handful of unknowns. That is a typical daily load. Frankly I do not see many upgraded cheapo tourists and the regional yields certainly suggest I am not trusting "my lyin' eyes" incorrectly. I share your dismay that I do not get the superior service I do in ORD because of competition from the likes of the people I ride with when I leave from MIA. That is one reason why I try to fly in to JFK or DFW when I can, there is less competition for premium seats to those cities. Of course there are no OW to Chicago from this region.