American Airlines on Twitter

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MLW20, Nov 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines has a a customer service account (@AmericanAir) & AAdvantage (@AAdvantage)account on Twitter. Both seem to be quick with answering questions sent to them.

A couple of weeks back I tweeted an AA related blog post to them. After conversing with them back & forth, I asked if they had any AA souvenirs for a big fan...

This is what they sent me- http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2011/11/american-airlines-twitter-gifts.html

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very impressive! Nice move AA :) :D

zpaul, servo46250 and MLW20 like this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found them reasonable just responding to other comments too. Even heard from @AAEurope when I was getting ready to take my trip to LHR. Definitely more responsive than @InterConHotels.

zpaul and servo46250 like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Twitter has become a great tool for dealing with customer service related issues... I've used it quite a bit. Things seem to get answered quicker than by sending in an e-mail.

zpaul, servo46250 and mowogo like this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want some good comedy....read some of the dumba** stuff they (both twitter feeds) respond to. it's like their FB stuff. I give credit for responding , but they have way more patience then I would. Guess that's why I could never work in cust service.....I'd tell the idiots to go pound sand.

zpaul and servo46250 like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, thanks for posting MLW20 !!

zpaul likes this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to liked! You are very welcome!

zpaul likes this.
  8. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to share a good experience that I encountered with AA social media folks this morning.

A good friend, who is a non-elite (other than the fact that he has the Citi AA Plat Visa CC) is flying to visit the area tonight. His original itinerary involved a 4-hour layover at ORD. Knowing that there is an earlier flight that is wide open, I suggested that he pays $75 to SDC to this earlier flight.

We are both aware of the rules: Any fares except Y/H/B/UP/codeshare, you have to call between 1 to 12 hours before the departure of the new flight, and that "E" inventory must be available.

I did my homework ahead of time, and at T-12, it was showing E7 for this flight. He proceed to call reservation, twice, and was told that his cheapo Q fare was ineligible for SDC. We know it was bullcrap, so I decided to help a bit and tweeted @AmericanAir.

The person I talked to, April, was very helpful and offered to either put a notation on his PNR, or to change it on the spot via Twitter. Since I am not traveling on the PNR, April asked for my friend's phone number. She immediately called and did the change with no issue at all. My friend was even assigned an exit row seat. All in all, it took less than 5 minutes to resolve the issue. My friend was happy. I was happy. And I must give four thumbs up to @AmericanAir social media folks.

It's a good day for all! :)

9. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had several encounters with AA via the twitters. They are one of the few companies that seem to be getting twitter right. There is an open and honest flow of information (from consumers) via twitter that is instantly searchable. What does it say about a company who watches for both good AND bad comments and responds legitimately trying to get people to someone who can help! How much can it really cost...its much more efficient than losing a customer because no one will listen and care about the the customer's problem. I think AA gets this and I am really happy they have put the resources behind making a really stellar team on the front lines of social media!

zpaul, Princess Fiona and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I've been resisting Twitter because I really hadn't found a viable reason for me to join. Do they respond in the same fashion to FB posts? They seem to be rather active on FB as well. US Air on the other hand looks like a graveyard for sand pounding dolts and their complaints that go unanswered.

zpaul and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same team who runs the Twitter account works with Facebook, too.

AA responds to any tweet I've sent that mentions their handle. They're ridiculously active.

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've responded to every one I've sent them, save one. The one exception was one a few days ago asking them not to let Dougie run the company if they merge with AA, which I didn't really expect them to respond to. :D If they do merge, hopefully they'll keep AA's twitter people and not US's.

zpaul, anabolism and servo46250 like this.
  13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what to say -- I'm happy to hear that AA has people responding to Twitter who have access to PNRs and are able and willing to help. I expected the PR flunkies of old, so am amazed that instead it's people with knowledge, skill, and access. But I'm also disappointed that two calls to reservations were both fruitless, with agents who didn't know the rules. I also have to wonder if it wouldn't be better for AA to have the more knowledgable people handling calls and newer people working Twitter?

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

zpaul likes this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea what it costs, but if there's a significant volume of tweets, it could cost more than one might think. Especially if skilled, knowledgable people are answering Twitter fluff rather than serious issues (not that all Twitter is fluff, but if any significant portion of the traffic is junk).

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Twitter is more of a PR battle than an information battle. Sure, people ask questions that require some knowledge to be dispensed, but mostly it's reaching out to those who are dissatisfied and saying "Hey, we're sorry, how can we help?" If you need a serious issue fixed, for the most part you're still going to be better served calling AA than tweeting them.

AA's social media team is not that large, a handful of people. Nothing like the volumes of people working the call centers day in and day out. Keeping up with the volume of tweets can be a mess but it really doesn't require that many people. I really can't see this as draining any of the talent or funding away from more traditional avenues of customer support.

16. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found this too, they are setting a very high bar for other Airlines to follow ( hopefully some of them will ;) )

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

zpaul likes this.
  17. FlyMe Marc

FlyMe Marc Active Member

Status Points:
    I tweet to them every time I encounter great employees...Quickest way for me to recognize those who do a great job and share it with the world.

John777 likes this.
  18. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tweeted to them when I had an issue with a ticket and they responded immediately and fixed the problem!! It was great.

19. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had another great experience with AA's social media team today. I hope they don't mind me sharing the experience (as they DO read this thread).

I received a text message from AA, notifying me that I have been rerouted via DFW. The text message clearly stated: "IF REJECT PLS CALL 1800-843-6200". It turns out that my second segment (from ORD) has been ?pre-emptively cancelled. They did not specify the reason- but I presume it may have been due to the pilot sickout. Who knows.

Anyway- I tweeted AA as I need to be at ORD that morning to hand over a document to a colleague and we had planned on meeting at AC that morning to do so.

They skillfully (and graciously!) changed my flights to XXX-ORD-DFW-ZZZ, allowing me to meet with my colleague at ORD and still getting me to my destination without much delay. All in all, I am getting to my destination only 2 hours later than the original itinerary.

Thumbs up again to @AmericanAir!

LETTERBOY likes this.