American Airlines makes fresh claims against Sabre

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Artic...irlines-makes-fresh-claims-against-sabre.html

American Airlines has filed fresh papers in its antitrust suit against Sabre in the US, raising the stakes by claiming the technology company “used its market power to hinder the sales of tickets on American flights”.

In its latest filing, American accuses global distribution system (GDS) Sabre of using “anticompetitive contract terms, discriminatory refusals to deal, punitive bias actions and secret collusive boycott agreements . . . to unlawfully maintain its monopoly control.”

The carrier says: “Sabre not only engaged in unlawful behaviour, but served as the ring leader in a classic hub-and-spoke conspiracy.” The documents suggest that as early as 2006, “Sabre demanded terms that impede American’s ability to develop ‘direct connect’ alternatives to the GDSs”.

Read More:
    http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Artic...irlines-makes-fresh-claims-against-sabre.html

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here we go again...

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still on this story! Way to go!

4. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amusing to me that the child is now a problem for the parent...or one time parent.

It's understandable AA's concern since GDSs hold a lot of power in their data. I'm sure AA wishes it could rethink it's loss of Sabre 11 years ago, data was viewed VERY differently back then. I worked for Worldspan (DL's GDS, along with TWA and NWA back then) in 2000 and the amount of power we had in our data was incredible, with tie-ins to Priceline and Expedia as well as home grown business offerings. It was immense.