American Airlines lets me down again

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by traveler, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this info has been shared in other areas of milepoint but I think this needs to be front and center. American Airlines has once again put a stop to allowing people to track their mileage balances on Award Wallet. Shame on American Airlines, I find it hard to believe a company in bankruptcy will go to such lengths to piss off it's customer base. As much as I Like American Airlines I hope everyone will express their displeasure to them. Unbelievable!:mad:

2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This frustrates me as well.

LETTERBOY and traveler like this.
  3. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has disappointed me a lot lately, and I have "tried" to cut them some slack and have empathy for them given the circumstances. However, the straw that broke the camel's back for me with AA was a recent DFW-OGG-DFW trip. The flights were around 8 hours. Since the flights were "domestic" there was no food, no blankets, no "nothin" offered in Y. They had a bare minimum of food for purchase. IFE was disappointing. The old 763 was blah. It truly was a cattle car. (At least it was to/from paradise :))

sobore likes this.
  4. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the lack of food and amenities in Y to Hawaii is par for the course on domestic airlines.

TheBeerHunter, sobore and chaz4449 like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pathetic unfortunately that a flight that long has virtually no amenities for Y passengers. :(

autolycus, garyst16 and chaz4449 like this.
  6. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I'm bothered too. I emailed their customer service as such, and received this in response:
    "Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. We appreciate your sharing with us your views on the service provided by websites that access AA.com and the accounts of AAdvantage® members through information provided to the website by AAdvantage® members.

Upholding our long-held stance on how third party websites access proprietary AAdvantage® member details is just one of the ways we protect the benefits afforded through the AAdvantage® program. Because your AAdvantage® account number and password can be used to claim AAdvantage® mileage awards out of your account and to access your personal details, we will always protect this information.

When making decisions around the sharing of our customer's data with third-party websites, security is chief among our points of consideration. We simply cannot permit these websites which have not satisfied our security requirements the access needed to track your balance or any other function that is otherwise secured behind your AA.com login credentials.
    In this light, we hope you will agree with us that it is best to protect the value of the AAdvantage® program to you and the privacy of our members. Consistent with these principles, you may be interested to know that Points.com, an AAdvantage® participant, allows many of the same types of services as other mileage tracker websites — but has fully satisfied our rigorous security requirements. If you are interested in an alternative to tracking your balance at AA.com, we hope you will consider giving http://www.points.com a try. We are also in the process of qualifying a number of other mileage tracker websites, and we hope to share these new choices with you in the near future."

I don't want to use points.com, I want to use AwardWallet, damnit. Grumble.

YULtide, autolycus and traveler like this.
  7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm annoyed by this as well. It's clear AA is trying to protect their relationship with points.com. I hope they realize that most of the Awardwallet crowd isn't going to switch over to points.com anytime soon and that this "security" move is just inconveniencing some of their customers.

traveler and autolycus like this.
  8. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Mr. Traveler,

Thank you for your email to AAdvantage® Customer Service. I appreciate
    the opportunity to respond.

Thank you for your email inquiring about websites that access AA.com and
    the accounts of AAdvantage members through information provided to the
    website by AAdvantage members. These websites are not currently
    affiliated with American or the AAdvantage program, and for the purposes
    of protecting the integrity of American websites, they are not
    authorized to use American's trademarks, access AA.com, or use
    American's data. It is our goal to protect the valuable information you
    share with us. Permitting unauthorized access to AA.com and AA customer
    data places the trust you have deposited with us through the AAdvantage
    program at risk.

We appreciate your thoughts and concerns. We are evaluating the
    possibility of developing relationships that will enable AAdvantage
    members to use these websites under appropriate circumstances. We
    appreciate your understanding as we work toward that goal.

Please note that our current policy allows you to share your AAdvantage
    login and password information with family members and appropriate
    agents for business or travel planning purposes.

Thank you for participating in the AAdvantage program. We appreciate
    your business.

Regards,

Tracy Freeman
    AAdvantage Customer Service
    American Airlines

autolycus likes this.
  9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly different emphasis and tone in this email than the others we've seen from AA. Perhaps a softening of their position due to PR issues?

LizzyDragon84 and traveler like this.
  10. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope people keep letting AA know we are not happy!

LizzyDragon84 and autolycus like this.