American Airlines Just Bought 17,000 Samsung Galaxy Notes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/american-airlines-bought-samsung-galaxy-2013-2

One of the reasons Samsung has come out of nowhere to ambush Apple in the global smartphone wars is that Samsung was the first company to make phones with big screens.
    Apple stuck to its small 3.5 inch screen for its iPhone 4 and 4S, and then only expanded to a 4-inch screen for the iPhone 5.

Samsung, meanwhile, introduced a Galaxy SIII with a 4.8-inch screen and the Galaxy Note with a gigantic 5.5-inch screen.

Lots of buyers loved the bigger screens. Including, it seems, American Airlines.
    Ron Miller of CITEWorld reports that Samsung beat out Apple and other smartphone vendors to win an American Airlines order for 17,000 phones for flight attendants. The phones won't be for personal use: They'll be company-issued phones that the flight attendants will use to provide better service.
    According to Miller, who spoke with American Airlines about the purchase, American chose Samsung for several reasons, including the "readability" of Samsung's big screens:
    • The flight attendants "felt that [the Note] was easy to handle and store while providing great readability"
    • The Note also "fit nicely in the palm of the hand" (An interesting comment in light of Apple's defense of its smaller screens--that anything larger than 4-inches is too big for one hand)
    • The Note also "enabled us to make customizations to fit our needs."
    • The Notes were fitted with Samsung's "SAFE" (Samsung for Enterprise) software, which enables the company to manage them remotely.

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/american-airlines-bought-samsung-galaxy-2013-2

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very happy AA is embracing technology like this, but I would suggest Mr. Miller call the Samsung CEO and get a room already.

anabolism and perryplatypus like this.
  3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder is they used the AA Shopping portal for the extra miles ;)

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope Samsung got AA to pay cash. ;)

5. BStrauss3

BStrauss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had one in my hand last Thursday - ended up training the two FAs in how to navigate Android. It has a addon credit card reader (I think). The on board application shows the FA where his/her ExPlt and CK members are, plus additional per-pax information. The integration was a little rough - non-standard buttons (big red rectangles to press) instead of the standard Android ones - which is why she was having problems logging in (kept hitting the return Android button instead of the red login).

iolaire, flyforawg and perryplatypus like this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need -- selling to a company under BK protection is safe as houses. Much safer than selling to a company pre-BK :-(.

autolycus likes this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the first bullet depends on how big one's hands are :) I find large phones unwieldy, plus they don't fit in my pocket well (not an issue for FA).

The second bullet is, IMHO, probably Android's strongest advantage over Apple. People or companies with a need or desire to customize, modify, and tweak will find Android much better suited. It's also their weakest; it's much easier to get bad software onto an Android by accident, and the various bits don't always flow and fit together as well on an Android. So much of "which phone is better" comes down to personal needs, desired, and preferences; what is much better for one person or company might be ill-suited for another.

The third bullet seems a non-issue, as most phones have this sort of thing. Although, once it becomes normal for FA to carry around phones, I wonder if they'll start surreptitiously photographing passengers, either famous ones or ones with their feet on the bulkhead, shoving almonds up their noses, or whatever it is.

At any rate, this seems like it will work well for the FAs in their jobs.

autolycus likes this.
  8. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats great news. I personally felt it a bit too big for carrying around daily, so went with the DNA, but I think this is a good choice for FA's.

autolycus and anabolism like this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else see the potential for a lot of Angry Bird playing? :p

autolycus and zphelj like this.
  10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will have something fun to do if they build a fort in the galley :)

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that it's installed on the device? Absolutely. It gets folks used to a device they wouldn't otherwise interact with.

Here's a pic of the device in "cabin crew" app (not sure the name of the app).

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a flight attendant take my meal order last week FRA-DFW in business with what looked like one of these. Came back a few minutes later reporting the device had eaten all our selections and he needed our choices again. Meal selection went a lot faster the second time around. :)

perryplatypus likes this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL :D

I guess this is the new technology AA is embracing:

[​IMG]

perryplatypus likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw them on a DFW-LGA flight Monday. Crew was very happy with them and pouring attention on the various EXPs.