American Airlines Issues at HNL

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jmjgp12, Sep 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel to HNL at least 3 times per year (admittedly mostly during the summer and early fall) and always seems to have issues at HNL when it comes to seat allocation and upgrades. I'd brushed it off before as just coincidence but on my last trip (a few weeks ago) after being upgraded DFW-HNL with no real issue (although the 72 hour window became more like upgraded whilst in the air in route to DFW) I checked Sabre for available seats and inventory 24 hours before departure for HNL - DFW. There were 6 seats open down from 7 1 day prior to that - I assume an EXECPLT got the upgrade. Then at check in there were 5 seats open and myself and my companion were 1 and 2 on the list. By the time we made it to the AC there were 3 seats showing free and our friends at the club asked if we wanted to split if need be. Now here is where things get interesting - i checked the inventory and aa was not allowing any mile reception seats for any of these 3 seats nor mile upgrade A fares there were selling just one of the seats at full fare. T-minus 1.5 hours to departure we were bumped to two and three on the list with 2 seats free in first- no issues I was content with flying MCE with my friend. I did not check back until we were getting ready to leave the club when I saw that now there was only one seat free and #1 on the list had not been cleared yet. My mind went to connecting pax priority or cancelled flights but all flights left on time that day and there were no displaced pax. Then things got really upsetting - I saw that the #1 on the list had the cleared check next to their name (yayy - glad they got it and the GA was processing the list) but as soon as we reached the gate the check had been removed and the seat was taken and #1 was still on the list and not seated in first. The seat was not taken by them but a department of homeland security worker that was not elite nor on the list. My friend and I (both AA elite) were shocked - HNL seemingly ignores elites and does what ever they want.

Not to drag this out but the saga continues - knowing that 8 hours is the flight duration cutoff for cabin crew to use the row 17 crew rest seats on the 763 I asked in the AC if we could grab those seats since we were not going to be upgraded and it would make for a better trip. AC said they were locked by the gate and she called down to tell the GA we would be inquiring and to please keep us apprised and in queue for the seats is no AA employees needed them as a deadhead which as we were told is their main use for these flight. We approached the podium kindly and the GA ignored our request stating that she had them open but we would have to wait until the entire flight boarded before she could use them. I internally was confused but on the exterior I remained calm and said ok thanks we will check back later, after we agreed that whilst first class was boarding she would "know " if she could use them. Literally one minute later a random man and his wife asked if they could get a MCE seat or a better seat and she just said and I quote - sure I have first class seats in row 17 that are normally crew rest - they recline and they are yours if you would like them... boom bp printed and given away. Sure enough all 17 seats were allocated before departure and she still told us to wait. Now we were very polite and did not make any rude remarks to this agent - so she ignored 2 elite members and our polite request and gave the seats to 2 non elite travelers ( I saw their BP's on a glance no mention of AASTATUS or OW Status). Now I'm not saying that I know all details etc or that elites should always gets special treatment but its hard to deny that this seems fishy and not according to AA protocol and when we fly so much on AA its disconcerting to see this occurring.

Have any of you had similar issues at HNL? Im sorry this is long but I wanted to spell out the whole story and get some feedback before I draft a formal letter to AA Customer service

Thank You !

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had it happen once at LAX

jmjgp12 and MX like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you report this to customer service/relations?
    For me I have had a gate agent refuse to issue the ug untIl AFTER boarding had started (for no reason since I was #1, there was 1 seat available for sure), but it worked out for me b/c I did get the ug. This was not at hnl.

MX likes this.
  4. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the reply - Yikes! Im glad that you got cleared. I have not reported it yet but I think I am going to once I can draft a semi-cohearent recap of events. Like I said I don't expect to always get the ug or be treated like a vip but like you said the ga (especially the one I dealt with) i think was not executing her tasks properly or playing a game of favourites. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    marcwint55 likes this.
  5. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the reply - interesting about LAX - I think it really comes down to the GA. I truly had no idea they held so much "power" when it came to this kind of stuff. Cheers!

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    She probably just didn't like your shirt. :)

But, in all seriousness, you answered your self when you said you don't know the whole story. Writing a letter to AA wanting to know why you didn't get upgraded seems like elite whining to me. But, bueno suerte to you anyway

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

7. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your reply - I am not concerned about the upgrade (I knew that was long gone when I arrived at the AC) but rather they way the GA handled her tasks and also about the elite member who was #1 and cleared but subsequently pulled and downgraded. I may not ever write a letter to AA which is why I posted this here on MP to get feedback first. Believe me I understand that just being elite is prize enough - the rest are nice perks which are like icing on the cake of travel. Cheers!

8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget their need to get the plane out on time trumps a lot of things. Also, how do you know a "department of homeland security worker" took the seat? Seems odd they would advertise that. Could it have been speculation it was an Air Marshall? That would solve this puzzle right there; AM trumps everybody including paid F.

9. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AM too - but I had actually flown the same flight with her before and she explained her job and works for homeland but maybe homeland gets the bump ahead too .. who knows. Cheers!