American Airlines Has a Job More Than One Of Us Would Be Good At (And Probably Love Doing)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Jul 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I got an e-mail from Suzanne Rubin, President of the AAdvantage program today, with some information about a job they're hiring for that's likely a dream job for some folks who follow along here:

I wanted to pass this info along in case some of your readers are interested in turning their passion for the AAdvantage program into a career. We are always looking for exceptional candidates that would also bring enthusiasm to their job. I’m guessing many of your readers fit the bill!

Link to job description:

http://careers.aa.com/en/ac/jobpost/6571

Some of the details below:

This position will be responsible for supporting a strategic assessment of all elements of the AAdvantage frequent flyer program. Position will identify and recommend opportunities for changes to AAdvantage to enhance customer loyalty and drive incremental value to American through the elite program and through mileage earning/redeeming.

Position will be involved in innovative loyalty projects, including leveraging flight data, competitive data and customer data in order to design and implement AAdvantage program and product enhancements that strengthen AA's relationship with customers.

Position will perform sophisticated analyses using database software and tools; producing thoughtful, actionable insights from data analyses, and using those insights to develop and present appropriate loyalty strategies for the new American. Extensive cross-departmental collaboration with Revenue Management, IT, Marketing, and Finance as well as operational organizations will be required.

Newscience, WilliamQ and Counsellor like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how much do we have to pay them to get the job? :)

Seriously, though, I suspect the IT requirements ("perform sophisticated analyses using database software and tools; . . . Extensive cross-departmental collaboration with Revenue Management, IT, Marketing, and Finance required.") will make it real work and discourage some "marketing" folks from applying.

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like a good job except the part about the IT requirements "Ability to write SQL" doesn't always mesh with the ability to know how a loyalty program should run or be doing in my opinion.

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've come across speculations that Suzanne Rubin's position within the new USdbaAA must be a very frustrating one. Imagine then what it would be like to be a lowly analyst in the same department. I doubt it's the best place for mileage junkies at this point.

A reasonable person might also wonder why there's external hiring for this position in the first place. The old companies had plenty of competent talent, and the post-merger typically comes with redundancies, not openings.

Counsellor and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Position will be involved in innovative loyalty projects, including leveraging flight data, competitive data and customer data in order to design and implement AAdvantage program and product enhancements that strengthen AA's relationship with customers."

I was struck by this sentence. Leveraging flight data, competitive data and customer data. Would that indicate that they may be looking at different mileage earning rates based on the specific routes, whether there are competitors on those same routes, and how often customers fly those routes.

Or am I just reading too much into the description.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    With sophisticated IT, thre's no reason that miles earned can't/shouldn't depend on the specific route as well as distance, although reveling the earnings rates could be equivalent to giving one's competitors a lot of confidential information about the profitability of various specific routes.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes :)

daninstl likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know SQL. I know loyalty programs. How much are they willing to pay me to move to Texas? ;)

daninstl and WilliamQ like this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of us have an idea what we want the loyalty programs to be like.
    However, the applicant would have to perform this (enhance the program) and yet get the support from the Finance Team.
    After all, loyalty programs cost money and it is not a easy task to demonstrate clearly: Spend $x and you will get $y in new / extra revenue, spend $z you will loose $m in revenue.

I suspect most of the airlines customer retention team (for lack of a better term) knows if they do certain things, customers will flock to them etc but the corporate has to support their ideas.

Also, loyalty programs are easily "copied" so it will need a very convincing argument to say spend more. If the competitor does the same, then both companies would have spent extra money but yet they are back to square 1, the loyalty program. So that is probably why the reverse is being practised now. Let's reduce instead as the rest will follow so we will not be the weaker program for too long. After all, investors now are asking for more immediate results. None of them want to start a loyalty program war which can be very costly. If removing certain things from the menu is expected to save an airline loads, then you can imagine trying to convince the bosses to invest in a costly project that has no solid data to support. (That's probably why they want the IT expertise... prove it with statistics)

If an airline persist in spending more (or the same) on its loyalty program when the bulk are trimming, the defections and increase in sales might not be enough to cover the comparatively more expensive program.

10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ideal candidate would probably be someone who can tweak the program to attract customers while maintaining current budget (best if it can be reduced). Business partnerships would be one easy way. Minimal cost but the benefits are extended outside of the respective companies.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I suspect the long pole on finding the right candidate for this position is finding someone with good computer skills (SQL) combined with marketing savvy/analytic ability to suggest good direction.

My experience in hiring hasn't yielded a ton of folks who are solid in both marketing and analytics as well as possessing programming skills.

daninstl, Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.
  12. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking this position is more an analyst than marketing.

WilliamQ and daninstl like this.
  13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I bet they aren't going to have anyone move to Phoenix that's for sure :)
    Maybe they will just pay in miles. Can you imagine getting paid in miles. It should be tax free as well. Maybe something like 5,000,000 per year.

HaveMilesWillTravel and WilliamQ like this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And by paying you in the currency of the program you are "responsible" for, it can only motivate you to improve it right? :) Its akin to having a portion of the senior management's remuneration package in stocks that vest over a period of time (ensure that the plans and policies implemented are beneficial to the company in the long run and not just a short term target). So annual remuneration of 5 million miles but vest over 5 years? Haha....

daninstl likes this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know what you mean. While it is not to say there aren't any out there,I think it is to do with the thought process when in the different role which is almost conflicting. In the silicon valley, you can see so many start-UPS where the brilliant folks are usually good in either area but seldom both.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just not sure I want to move to Dallas.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    ROFL. My coffee hadn't gotten to the table yet or I surely would have spit it out.

18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    what's the inside joke..?

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Some combination of imagining Seth working well with a diverse group of personalities while not turning random legs yellow and (quite possibly the larger point) the fact that I highly doubt Seth really wants a 9-5 job.

WilliamQ likes this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Put another way, I'd set an over-under of less than a month before Seth clawed his eyes out driving through Dallas traffic for his office job. Okay, maybe a week.

Wandering Aramean and WilliamQ like this.
  21. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brings out a whole new meaning to "golden parachute" :)

WilliamQ likes this.
  22. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides if you didn't move to Dallas you'd have to commute through DFW to get to work everyday (they'd be insulted if you went through DAL :) And on the way home everyday your gate would change to another terminal and the flight would be delayed.

23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I prefer a platinum parachute.

WilliamQ likes this.
  24. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Parachute implies eventual landing, aka temporary platinum status. Guaranteed lifetime Platinum Status would be a good carrot. ... Wait.. We are not talking about CEO position but an Analyst... Hahaha one would be glad if you even get to travel without standing by.

That said, if I am US based, I would be interested in trying for the job. :)

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Very true.