American Airlines Cutting First-Class Meals on Shorter Flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by uggboy, Aug 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines Cutting First-Class Meals on Shorter Flights

Newscience likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Translation: One or two customers didn't eat a full meal on flights less than 2 hours so let's take it away from everyone else for flights under 3 hours.

This will attract more people to first-class, no?

3. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, of course. Maybe AA found someone who fills the "We are always looking for exceptional candidates . . . " job. And he/she (or it) devised a "Pay more, get less" program. Brilliant marketing, no?

4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll note they didn't say "a majority" ;) "A good number" could be anything.

WilliamQ, B1BomberVB and uggboy like this.
  5. Horhay25

Horhay25 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like US Scareways First!!

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  6. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly first class on AA at least 100 time a year. Other than flights from ORD/LGA, and ORD/DFW, I don't remember there being many meals on flights less than 2.5 hours anyway. ORD/LGA and ORD/DFW are specifically excluded from this statement, so I don't see this as much of a change, but more as a standardization of policy with US. I'm not loking forward to the snack baskets especially, but we knew that sort of cost saving fun reduction was coming.

7. Travel Warrior

Travel Warrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    This certainly convinces me to fly Southwest an all shorter flights, since they actually treat their customers better without first class PLUS there's no fee if I need to make changes. And this eliminates my flying longer itineraries with a change of planes in Dallas. Or didn't American think about the impact on their hubs, especially for those of us in all-day meetings and no time to eat before boarding our flights or rushing between late connections? And paying a true First Class fare for non-existent service because each segment is less than 2 hours 45 minutes?

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought my first ticket last night which I hope to count toward my UA 1K status match to EXP. It isn't until Nov. 1, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. DFW-ORD, one way, F, no meal. It's on a mainline, though, and I had many non-stop flights from which to choose. ALL mainline. UA offers three non-stop flights on that route per day. ALL RJs - same price.

I wish that they were going to feed me for what I'm paying, but considering that UA doesn't ever serve food on RJs (Unless you consider a boxed "meal" to be "food"), I'll cheerfully take my beating and say, "Thank you Dougie, may I have another?"

I just commented in the UA thread that I don't like AA, and I don't like UA, but if I'm going to pay, I'll at least opt for the one that offers the most comfort. Perhaps that should be the least discomfort. I have come to a point of acceptance that no airline based in the United States of America is going to offer me what I want anymore. It's something I've chosen to do to keep my sanity while I watch service implode all around me.

estnet likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they found a brilliant staff !:D

10. Horhay25

Horhay25 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like AA ditched the linen tablecloth. God I hope they don't ditch the cloth napkin too. US Air uses paper napkins in first. Ugh!!

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 is a good number from the top.
    1 is a terrible number from the bottom.
    1 is anything to a statistician

12. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways previously had 3.5 hour meal windows. The move to 2.75 hour window is a benefit for the US fliers, but a loss for the AA fliers. Adding F meals to some US flights meant either higher costs for the combined airline or some AA flights lose meals to compensate. We know which option Parker chose - doesn't surprise me given Parker's reluctance to add costs. At least he didn't stick with the old US meal windows.

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I owe you guys a big apology. My decision to switch from UA to AA has obviously brought along my extremely bad luck with regard to airline choice. CO and UA were both very good airlines when I left AA 5 years ago, and it didn't take them long after my arrival to start the downward spiral. Until now, I honestly didn't know just how powerful I am! ;)

estnet likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to apologize. Just grace Spirit and Allegiant with your powerful presence, please :)

KenInEscazu likes this.