American Airlines' Cornerstone "Worldview"/continued San Fran cutbacks

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by demkr, Jul 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cafcoryJqw4J:www.centreforaviation.com/news/2011/07/22/american-airlines-cornerstone-worldview/page1 cornerstone worldview&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Centre for Asia-Pacific Aviation: "The effect of this policy is especially evident in one of the nation’s other larger metro areas, the San Francisco Bay area. American has had a long presence in the region, and early in the 21st century was the only legacy carrier with non-stop service from all three Bay Area airports (SFO, OAK, SJC) to New York and Boston.
    Like its peers, the fuel and economic problems of 2007-08 saw AA drawing down its presence at both OAK and SJC and consolidating at SFO. But following the adoption of the cornerstone concept, the pull-down has continued.
    The chart compares service in summer 2006 and summer 2011—a five year span—and looks at the ways in which the AA presence in the market has diminished.

-- Interesting article here. It includes a table of AA's consistent SF cutbacks through the years. The reason why I bring this up is that we haven't seen any other airline partake in nearly as many route cancellations and capacity cuts in the San Francisco Bay Area as American.

We are losing our decades-old route to Honolulu in the fall. This after last year, an AA spokesman told the San Francisco Chronicle that SFO-HNL was a "huge market."

It's a shame-but I'm glad to see that the media has picked up on it.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting chart--the biggest capacity cut seems to be to DFW, which went from 97 weekly flights (including 14 767s) to 42 weekly flights (with no widebodies).

But other than losing BOS and STL, not a huge capacity loss elsewhere...

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting article. I enjoyed the chart. It is interesting/sad that AA pulled out of some SFO routes where they had a monopoly and/or little competition. Being a BOS/PVD flyer it has been sad to see the demise of AA in New England. They dwindled down PVD from MD-80 service to ORD and DFW to dropping DFW and making RJ to ORD to pulling entirely a fees years ago. They also have de-focus citied BOS with all flying being to hubs and LGA/DCA shuttle routes. They also shrunk their TATL from multiple 777 down to 757 and 767 (though that could do with the open skies agreement with BA and coordinating schedules and loads)

demkr likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty clear who's losing to VX.

Sean Colahan and demkr like this.
  5. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we also lost the two flights to Hawaii (OGG and HNL come September) as well as a flight to SNA. All these flights were not supplemented with increased service to the hubs either.

I also believe that sometime in the fall, SFO-JFK is going to 3x 762/1x 763 from 4x762/1x 763 until the Spring.

6. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a really good point. I'm not sure why AA chooses not to fly into the New England and Mid-atlantic markets that everyone else does (PWM, BGR, BTV, MHT, PVD, ALB) with really limited service at BWI. I don't even think they would need mainline service in the NE markets either. JFK would be a really great connecting point via an ERJ, and ORD with maybe a mix of ERJs and CR7s.

I'm sure everyone at the helms of AA doesn't want to do any further unprofitable flying, but there's got to be something every other carrier sees in these markets that they don't?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  7. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's the part that hurts. If not for my Caribbean/Texas/Miami flying living here in NYC and how awesome EXP is, I probably would have gone full VX by now...

Sean Colahan and demkr like this.
  8. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lets face it-if VX would add more F seats and give elites UDU-we'd all be there. lol

9. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    and allowed me to get status on VS. don't forget that International matters a bit more to me since I do my flights out of the country every once in a while...Despite the shortcomings, my MR to Tokyo showed me why I worked and flew so much for EXP. It turned it into an otherworldly experience.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they arent strong in the northeast due to heave competition especially from US. With it's hub in PHL focus cities in DCA and LGA an old focus cities/hubs at PIT and BOS but still with plenty of flights to hubs and non hubs they have excellent coverage of the northeast. Example my home airport of PVD. On any given day US had 8 flights to PHL, 5 to CLT, 5/6 to DCA and 3/4 to LGA. Not bad for a city the size of PVD with close proximity to BOS. Add in DL and UA combined with this "cornerstone philosophy" and it's a no brainer why AA pulled out...though quite unfortunate. In terms of running the northeast out of JFK, would their be enough slots to do it properly?