American Airlines Considers Change in Oldest Jet Livery‎

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by aadmiral, May 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're in bankruptcy. Or is repainting the planes supposed to tell people that they're not merging with US?

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is due for change! Have to keep up with the times!

wfagundes likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

And that will solve their cost problem? Or their revenue problem? Sounds to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

2soonold, meFIRST and mht_flyer like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They're in bankruptcy but there not out of business. They will continue expending funds and making changes as they attempt to navigate out of Chp 11. Perhaps they believe a rebranding will help differentiate the pre-bankruptcy AA from the envisioned post-bankruptcy AA and generate more business? The new premium cabins and PR efforts to highlight changes are all related to AA making a case about where they want to be.

But considering their financial position, I doubt they're just tossing cash around without purpose.

Personally I've never liked the current AA branding. I'd like a change.

JLSocks and wfagundes like this.
  6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think on "Inside American Airlines" on CNBC they said that not painting the planes saves weight, which reduces the fuel burn. Not sure why they would decide to paint them now. I like the current livery and hopes it stays that way.

7. wfagundes

wfagundes Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not about cost. It's about branding strategy and healing customer perception.

Exactly!

They won't have a choice with the 787's composite body.

Sagy likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Who are they going to try to market those new paint schemes to -- the folks that have enough cash to buy the new flat bed seats or the kayakers that they cram into coach 10 across? ;)

If I ever go into bankruptcy, I am not going to start repainting my house to make the neighbors think I am a changed man.

Are you saying business people always do the right thing? ;). Remember, these are the same people who ran the company as it went downhill and into bankruptcy.

Thank you for making my point. Despite not liking the current livery it seems you're happy to buy tickets on AA. Are you going to spend more because of a new paint scheme?

2soonold, mht_flyer and MX like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Paint and livery don't sell tickets, but branding is important to a company and its public image. AA might think they're viewed by the public in a certain light, certainly negatively in many aspects. Marking company transitions through rebranding is fairly common. JCPenny did it recently. Its not entirely irrelevant. Whether it will work or whether it's a great idea is different.

If you have to ask, I think it's clear that I did not say that. I said I doubt they're throwing money around willy nilly. They've researched this decision, as the article points out. 18 months of research. They have information and are making a decision based on it. That's different then me saying "This is a good idea".

If AA re-brands, I'm not their target audience. New premium cabins, an updated domestic fleet, and potentially a new brand all signal to the public that AA is taking a new direction. Does the a paint job in and of itself sell tickets? No. But it's a small part of a larger scheme which may or may not work.

It's not like AA has made this decision, they're evaluating it. They may decide it's not really worthwhile. That doesn't mean there isn't thought behind it though, which was my point.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they don't change the brand logo. Simple, classic, and timeless!

anabolism likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    jcp (as they are now calling themselves with their new logo, I believe?) changed a whole lot more than just their logo, though. They brought in Apple's head of retail as their new CEO. They are changing their stores. They are changing the way they advertise, market and sell/discount/price their products. What's AA's plan, other than a refurb of the 767/777 cabins in two or three years?

Quite frankly, I am not a marketing or brand expert. But I believe brand image is much more important in retail than in air travel, unless brand image is THE thing you're focusing on maybe (Virgin America?). How do most people pick a retail store to go shopping? How do most people book air travel?

AA will continue to compete with the likes of UA and Delta. Are they going to turn themselves into a hip cool legacy carrier? Or are they going to put some lipstick on the legacy pig?

What's the rest of that scheme?

(for the record, I hope AA is going to remain independent and is able to compete successfully within the industry... but I am not convinced that a new livery is key to that).

Fair point.

mht_flyer and Sean Colahan like this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure why you keep asking me questions as if I'm AA and part of this decision making process, or as if I've said it's a great idea to change branding. :confused:

Edited to Add: If you're asking for my opinion on this decision, I'd approve of a rebranding in a few years. Bigger fish to fry currently.

13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, when Parker has his way and we get US AAirways, I hope current livery sticks.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because you seemed to want to discuss this comment of mine upstream:

You seemed interested in giving possible explanations for why they are considering it, such as

So it seems logical to me that -- if I disagree with those explanations -- I would respond to your post. Isn't that what MilePoint is meant to be -- a discussion forum? I am certainly not under the impression or implying that you either work for AA or have any role in their decision making progress.

Looks like we actually agree.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems we have crossed purposes. I really am not that interested in discussing the validity of the change. My point was that many of the initial comments seemed to dismiss the change as cosmetic and knee-jerk whereas I think it's clear there would be purpose and thought behind it. The matter of whether that purpose and thought was valid, which is more of what your questions seem to address, isn't really in my arena of interest.

We tend to, which is why I didn't understand why were seemed to be doing a back and forth.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Personally... while I like looking at airplanes and certainly like some liveries and dislike others, when it comes down to buying a ticke,t the livery on the airplane matters to me about as much as it matters to the box that's loaded on a Fedex or UPS plane. Which is why I don't really understand those endless livery threads in the UA/CO forum.

desamo and Sean Colahan like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    People have, admittedly irrational, vested interests in some liveries. The AA livery I am not a fan of, but don't really have feelings about whether it stays or goes.

Now the JL livery is another issue entirely. I hated the "Arc of the Sun" design that was used for awhile and am thrilled that they've moved back to the original tsurumaru logo. While it doesn't motivate me to buy a ticket, I do have an emotional attachment to the JL logo being part Japanese and growing to love air travel as a child in Japan. So I understand the attachment. :)

18. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story - thanks for the post and the replies.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps adopting a flag logo on the tail? American is a flag carrier....

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    WSJ article seems have to Horton hinting a livery change is forthcoming: LINK.

“This is going to be a new airline,’’ Mr. Horton said at the Global Business Travel Association convention in Boston. He was referring to American’s plans to restructure independently, not to ongoing exploration and evaluation of a possible merger with US Airways Group Inc. or other airlines.

“We’re working on modernization of the American Airlines brand and we’ll unveil something in the future. We’re also thinking about the look of our airplanes,’’ Mr. Horton said. “Stay tuned on that.’’

Besides image, there’s a structural reason American is going to have to start painting its planes. The Boeing 787s American has on order don’t have aluminum skins, they are constructed with composite materials that are essentially super-strong plastics that must be painted. Large portions of the new Airbus planes American has ordered are also fabricated with composite materials.

21. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last thing they need to be worried about. If they're that worried about image and perception as they pull out of this then why not just change the name of the airline completely.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're not exactly slouching in other areas (new planes, new seats, updated domestic product, solid financial numbers posting this quarter, etc....) and I'm sure they're capable of handling more than one issue at a time. I've never liked the currently branding and think a change would be welcome, but again, I realize I'm in a small minority there.

23. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    They save money on weight, but there is extra cost to get the plane shiny. Hard to say more without specifics, but it's not a definitive money saver. This is all branding and marketing driven, rather than cost.

24. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they're making some great changes and upgrades (except those Airbus' but I'm in the minority there, lol) just don't see the need to change the colors or lack there of :) UNLESS they come up with something really sweet like Asiana Airlines. I like theirs because it's colorful, yet simple

25. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    From the article...

“They’ve waited so long to change it that their retro look has become chic again,” said Allen Adamson, managing director of the New York office of branding firm Landor Associates, which has worked with airlines on livery redesigns.

I agree. I like the simplicity. Their brand with the "double A" and polished silver look is almost iconic as a brand in my mind.

While business performance has been tough when I think about it from a pure imagery standpoint I equate AA with golden arches, an apple with a bite missing, etc.

anabolism and Sean Colahan like this.
  26. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The silver, unpainted planes? Yes The logo itself doesn't strike me as iconic. United's tulip was much more iconic IMHO.