American Airlines Citi & Amex 75,000 Promotions

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by disorderlydachshunds, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. A couple months ago I applied for and received the AA Citi Visa and Amex 75,000 miles bonus. The spend was $1,500 to get the 75,000 for each card. Well both my accounts (Citi Visa and Cit Am Ex) closed on Friday and my 150,000 are in my AA Advantage account as of this morning. I love using Award Wallet to keep track of all my balances.

uggboy, PedroNY, Jimgotkp and 5 others like this.
  2. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad day, huh? :)

uggboy and disorderlydachshunds like this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now the tough part...where do you want to go?!

4. Yes such tough decisions :) I'm also trying to figure out the best way to deal with the 88,871 AA miles snafu. Wondering if I move on and let them get away with it, or send letters to the board members protesting.

uggboy likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would just move on. Everyone knew that it was a mistake and they could not afford to give out 88,000 miles for a few dollar purchase. Most companies do not honor obvious mistakes, especially when they are exploited to the extent that frequent flyers tend to do.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was approved instantly this morning :)

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never too late to join the party.
    I wonder how many billions of miles Cit has given for this credit card offer. :)

uggboy likes this.
  8. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have had the card in the past :D. How long has it been since you last had the card?

uggboy likes this.
  9. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I churned Citi AA personal cards until about 2009 when they started to deny non-first time customers. I tried to apply again in 2010 and early 2011, both of which were declined.

Yesterday, I applied for both personal Visa and Amex on the same day using 2 browsers. The Visa application was approved (not instant) after making a phone call. However, the Amex application didn't give an application number. Today, I received an email saying that I was denied with the reason "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report," which is strange because they approved my Visa application. I'm thinking about calling for reconsideration. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions on what I should say?

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Genuinely not sure exactly when but some time in 2010. And yes, I have had the card in the past. Many, many times. ;)

11. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    This offer is still rocking, just amazing!

Mrs. PedroNY and I both were approved, also for Citi Business AAdvantage cards. Last time we applied for AA cards was end of 2009 (as most of us churners out there), so I figured after a 19 month break it was worth to try it again. Great way to top off AAdvantage account!

Cheers,

PedroNY

12. Congrats !!

13. Congrats !!

14. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for the update. Got my Amex card in the mail yesterday and my Visa should be coming today. Just in time to squeeze the bonuses in before the new Million Miler program officially starts!

15. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for a Citi AAdvantage card a couple of weeks ago and was approved. I applied for the Citi Amex AAdvantage yesterday and was turned down today because I already had one Citi AAdvantage card...oh, well, I guess I will get my wife to apply...

16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your wife can apply for both at the same time and get 150,000 miles that way. But you have to apply for them at the same time, not days apart.

jmrich1432, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  17. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the 100K and 75K cards last fall, got 5 RT tix to Kona for the family for 175K miles :)

My wife recently applied for (and was approved for) the 75K Visa and Amex cards. Cards came last week, should reach the spend in a few weeks.

miles and smiles likes this.
  18. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone has a link for $1500 spending instead $4000 in 3 months?

19. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    *Visa Business Card

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    jmrich1432 likes this.
  21. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations! I just got my second Biz card approved last week - this time with a 25K limit!

jmrich1432 and miles and smiles like this.
  23. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read a bit on several forums regarding the 75K promotion, but can't seem to find the answer that I need. I received the AA Personal Visa in 09/10 and the AA Business Visa in 7/11. I've just received a pre-approval in the mail, for the AA Personal Amex which is clearly targeted (albeit with the small 20K sign up bonus). I've seen others who already had an AMEX get a similar offer. Is is safe to assume that if I go ahead and sign up for the 75K Personal Amex that I am still eligible for the sign up bonus given that I've never held the Personal Amex? I know it will cost me a hard inquiry, but outside of that if I'm pre-approved I don't see why I shouldn't go for it. My concern is that it has not been 16-18 months since my previous approval, so I don't want to ruin a potential churn opporturnity here.

Appreciate the help

24. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Those mail offers are virtually worthless (unless you want just 20K). So many people seem to get them. You must wait more than 60 days since your last application for any Citi offer. My guess is that you would be refused for the 75K personal AMEX because it has only been 12 months since your last personal app. My recommendation is to wait. Pre-approval for the 20K AMEX does NOT mean pre-approval for the 75K AMEX.

WinecountryFlyer likes this.
  25. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I definitely didn't want to sign up for the 20K bonus when I knew the 75K was still there. I'll hold tight for another 6 months and maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be around......heck it's been out there for a year already. ;)