American Airlines 2016 AAdvantage Program

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by davef139, Nov 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:

2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Q 2016 redeemable miles will be fare and carrier fee based.
    Gold = 7miles/USD
    Plat = 8miles/USD
    ExeP = 11miles/USD
    Partners will be a percentage of miles flown and fare class.
    Mileage redemeption lowered, some saver awards to be as low as 7500 for sub500mile routes.
    The bad is mileage is increasing on some Euro/Asia.

3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me the big pile of batman is the loss of SWUs. only 4 SWUs for 100,000 EQMs with the ability to earn up to 8 - 2 for every 50,000 EQMs. that cuts that benefit exactly in half for a large segment of EXP fliers.

Seat6A, Gtitan and edekba like this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much ALL of Euro/Asia, and Asia 2 F (aka CX) is getting whacked bigtime, from 135k r/t to 220k r/t. OUCH.

Also, a lot of the discount Y offpeak got taken away, and the ones that are left got increased (Europe offpeak Y goes from 40k r/t to 45k r/t).

Pretty ugly all over the chart if you ask me.

Counsellor and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its pretty inline w/United & Delta... but it was to be expected.

7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And so AA is finally turning into $%^#. Discount AY and BA will only earn 0.5 EQM, on top of that BA will only give 0.5 or 0.25 base miles. Total crap!!!! I'm gonna use my PL status the next year and after that will look to switch to fly with someone else.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you going to go that will be that much better?

9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can always fly B6

flyforawg likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta somehow find a way to pay for the new pita chips and hummus in the Admiral's Club.

timfrost likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    To London or Helsinki?:)

12. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once the Continental merger was permitted, the handwriting was on the wall-as super lobbyist Jack Abramoff says; the most important corrupting words in Washington are "you should work for us" and the coziness between the airlines and lawmakers/regulators is astounding, a former FAA administrator on the United board, Speaker Ryan's new chief of staff the Delta lobbyist. But the Justice Department sold these mergers as good for the consumer and now refuses to see the collusion and price fixing this new announcement reeks of Personally I have already saved thousands of dollars I would have spent on airfare in the past few years. there are so many good reasons not to fly and with moves like this, I can only say there are much. Much better ways to spend your discretionary dollars. The Obama administration sanctioned this the most ambitious government sanctioned consumer rio off in U.S. History--and the media complicity in it is incredible.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    foxberg and Counsellor like this.
  13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Raising "sticker" prices to $40 a pop was :rolleyes:

14. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos for creating daily deals. But I can't be the only one who finds it a lot easier to say no to a cramped 10 hour flight where I used to earn 25,000 miles and now would earn 2,000 as a gold paying pretty much the same fare as when oil was $120 a barrel. And redemption levels are out of reach. No chance for an upgrade either way. But you deserve credit for offering a glimmer of light on an ever bleaker terrain.

15. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did he just say this is Obama's fault?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basiface, zphelj, Gtitan and 2 others like this.
  16. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand why they punish the Explat members by cuttings our SWUs. I received my latest upgrade one hour before the flight took off. That would have been a pain if i was counting on it for an extra bag. They're now so stingy with SWUs why hurt us this way. I am going to consider using other airlines for business travel now, especially if their routing is better than AA. I hate this.

foxberg, zpaul and brodyf like this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It is hard to understand the reasoning behind this other than "the other guys did it". I just can't imagine the financial impact of 8 SWUs is all that significant in the hand scheme of things.

zpaul and brodyf like this.
  18. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    They likely believe they really are over-rewarding vs their primary competition. Heck, I am sure they are. But the "over-rewarding" loyalty program helps make up for a less than stellar airline operation vs Delta. I do think they run a better operation than UA, even with the challenges of merging AA and US.

If history is any indication, this management team will fix the airline operation from the perspective of operational reliability and baggage delivery. Maybe they'll fix other problems too. I'm willing to wait and see. As a guy who lives in Atlanta (for now - odds better than even that I'm living in an AA hub again within a year and I'll reevaluate then), AAdvantage has now lost most of its "advantage" over Delta. And I haven't even gotten to AA's poor award availability on its own metal.

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not much to disagree with here. I do think things will get a bit more reliable from an operational standpoint while getting less enjoyable from an experiential standpoint (though not by a lot).

I certainly would have loved to be a fly on the wall in these discussions at AA. It's OKAY to reward your customers more than someone else. I feel like AA made this decision because they had cover from DL and UA and felt they were leaving money on the table.

Of course they could grab more profit by stripping out benefits. But, that same logic holds for them continuing to cut further. At some point, though, you erode the "value barrier" for loyal customers.

UA achieved that with me. I just booked my first Spirit flight on a route that UA was charging too much for. I know based on my experience from the last year I'm unlikely to get an upgrade and I already know there are no aisle seats in E+. Instead, I save the company a couple hundred dollars. I'm sure I won't love flying Spirit, but the price gap and lack on benefits has grown enough to make me think twice.

Hope the same doesn't happen with AA.

flyforawg and Counsellor like this.
  20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it does, there will be many who follow you to LCCs. The wonderful thing about aa free market (as if one truly existed here) is that consumer behavior always drives pricing and service.

The big three will almost certainly cross the line, resulting in lost loyalty from FFers, resulting in a return of some benefits to regain their business. We may not be in the best of times with regard to FF benefits, but we are definitely in an interesting period.

Pizzaman likes this.
  21. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seemed very logical, the pricing of bottom fare encon to bottom fare biz for intl flights is quite a difference. I am sure they can get much more revenue offering buyups. I am mostly surprised they didn't add a minimum fare class.

22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's important to note that the change to redeemable mileage earning will happen in "second half" 2016 (date to be announced); changes to award costs will happen 3/22/16, and changes to how elite status is earned will happen 1/1/16.

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    These changes remind of how "quality control" works at major food manufacturers. E.g., the FDA permits up to 5% of maraschino cherries to be "rejects due to maggot" infestation. A maraschino cherry manufacturer wants the maggot rate to be just at 5%, since anything higher means FDA fines, while anything lower means they are paying for more quality than they need. AA doesn't see the point in paying for more loyalty than they need.

Counsellor and Pizzaman like this.
  24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I disagree that they can get substantial revenue from buyups versus SWUs. I don't think the majority of EXP members are buying intl J on their own dime now. Maybe they're planning to more aggressively market that option (and discount it).

But, I can't say I run into too many EXPs who would buy J now if they couldn't use a SWU.

flyforawg, brodyf and Counsellor like this.
  25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would think the maggot infestation is more likely on UA, but good example. :D

flyforawg and brodyf like this.