America leaves BlackBerry's next big thing on the shelf

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by GoodBoy, Mar 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. America leaves BlackBerry's next big thing on the shelf
    • BY DAVID ROBERTSON
    • March 26, 2013 12:31PM
    JUST as BlackBerry appeared to be hauling itself off the ropes at long last, the company was hit with more bad news yesterday when initial sales estimates for its new Z10 phone suggested that the device may be a flop in the US.
    Phone retailers surveyed by Goldman Sachs over the weekend reported selling fewer than ten Z10s a day. Some were selling only two or three. Citigroup found that less than 5 per cent of stores had sold out of the Z10, even though they had stocked only about a dozen of the phones in total.

uggboy likes this.
  2. America leaves BlackBerry's next big thing on the shelf
    • BY:DAVID ROBERTSON
    • March 26, 2013 12:31PM

JUST as BlackBerry appeared to be hauling itself off the ropes at long last, the company was hit with more bad news yesterday when initial sales estimates for its new Z10 phone suggested that the device may be a flop in the US.
    Phone retailers surveyed by Goldman Sachs over the weekend reported selling fewer than ten Z10s a day. Some were selling only two or three. Citigroup found that less than 5 per cent of stores had sold out of the Z10, even though they had stocked only about a dozen of the phones in total.

3. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite a faulty report, considering they are basing it off of ATT, which is not really pushing the Z10.

Wait for VZ and Tmobile numbers coming out today.

I can't wait to get mine.

MX and GoodBoy like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like a nice unit but many ex BB lovers like myself got burned last year on the tablet firmware issues. Also most employers are now buying android and iPhones. BB let Apple into the market. I really hope BB can turn it around.

Just my own preference...why buy a Z10 if I still have to type on a touch screen?

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. Wait a few weeks and the typewriter version will be out. The keypad on my phone has become so intuitive it is now putting words out ahead of me even pushing one letter of the word.
    The tablet release was a bad move and that is why the two founders are no longer involved with the company. That mistake has been well recognized.
    On the BB10 there are dozens of new apps out almost daily now and they have well over 100K of them already. Mine works just fine after almost 2 months of use. I went to the new touch pad from a bold and don't miss the typewriter pad at all now.

Flying Machine, GoodBoy and sobore like this.
  6. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am done with Blackberry.

They are so late entering the market. I do not think that there is any way possible that they can compete with Apple and Android. Even Microsoft has a hard time competing. Although, recently I saw a survey done and many middle schoolers said they prefer the Microsoft smart phone. This is the upcoming generation so we will see what happens.

7. I don't see timing into the market as being a drawback if their phones are good, and they are.
    A relative who works for Nokia was at my house this w/e and showed off his nokia windows 8 phone. It is pretty slick but hasn't many of the features incorporated into the BB10. But yes, kids will like it.

GoodBoy likes this.
  8. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually am a big fan of my Bold 9700, still works like a charm. I can type so fast on the QWERTY Keyboard. Just waiting to see what the next BB10 looks like. I went to ATT on Saturday and was very confused with the Z10. Then the salesman ( whom was somewhat disinterested, assisted me ). If the BB10 with the QWERTY Keyboard works well, I am a taker. Thanks and Safe Travels

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. Blackberry’s Z10: It’s All About the Keyboard

Posted on March 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    When Blackberry’s Z10 phone hit the market last week, the response from consumers was reportedly lukewarm — although no sales figures are available yet, and Blackberry executives told The Wall Street Journal that marketing materials are just now being sent out to carriers and retailers.

The Z10, with its full-size touch screen, has already been marketed in other countries, and will be followed soon by the Blackberry Q10, a device expected to come with the hardware keyboard so popular with long-standing Blackberry fans.
    For Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, both the Z10 and the Blackberry’s rollout strategy are disappointing. “I have always been a strong supporter of Blackberry, one of the last people clinging to the ship as it sank,” he says. “But with the Z10, Blackberry has totally caved in. They are just cloning what everyone is doing.”
    Rather than offering a product with all the “shiny social features” that competing phones have, Fader says that Blackberry “should have positioned the Z10 as a productivity device. A big part of that would be the keyboard.” The better strategy would have been to introduce the keyboard phone (the Q10) first, rather than second, positioning it “as a business device that will let you do things as quickly as possible…. By leading with the Z10 instead, Blackberry shows it has given up on its former place in the market.”
    Indeed, Fader adds, highlighting the return of the keyboard “would have resonated [with consumers] from a business standpoint as well as a personal one.” Blackberry missed an opportunity, he notes, “because no one owns that space.”
    According to Lawrence G. Hrebiniak, Wharton emeritus professor of management, “There’s bad news and good (or less bad) news with the Z10. It looks good, is durable and well built, [offers] easy typing and a good camera, but it’s short on apps — [Blackberry] has approximately 100,000, about 12.5% of Apple’s stable. Blackberry will supposedly get more apps, but will customers bet on this? And it has a relatively high price tag — again, not good.”
    Hrebiniak describes the U.S. launch as a “yawner,” almost a non-event. On the other hand, the U.S. market is “tough and saturated: Blackberry only has a 2% to 3% market share, so one might not have expected big numbers.” The company still has international markets to shoot for, including the U.K. — where its market share is 12% vs. 25% for Apple — and it has “Canada potentially backing the home town player. It also has the prospect of good corporate IT numbers. Business adoption, a traditional strength, can help again,” Hrebiniak states.
    The company soon will announce Q4 sales and profits, notes Hrebiniak. “If the numbers show any positive signs from earlier introductions in Canada and the U.K., things would look less bad for the company, maybe even good. I’m not yet ready to predict Blackberry’s doom, but I’d really like to see more good, or less bad, news.”
    Fader, for his part, suggests that Blackberry’s chances of remaining in business are “not looking good.” Will they still exist three years from now? “I think they will get gobbled up by someone else. The [acquirer], instead of just folding them into their existing business, will use them as the business line to complement their personal and entertainment line. I think the Blackberry name still has incredible equity and very strong associations. It’s just that they are doing everything they can to destroy it.”

Featured Professors: Lawrence G. Hrebiniak, Peter Fader
    This entry was posted in Knowledge@Wharton Today, Managing Technology.

Flying Bat likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't hate BlackBerry (though I still have a bad taste in my mouth from having the Storm), but what's different in this than what's in Apple and/or Android? I mean, with a few cosmetic differences, even the picture upthread looks like it's trying to emulate Apple.

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. It's called the hub...something none of the others have. I. Am very happy with mine and it's functional to a fault.

GoodBoy likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Windows phone is very functional. Doesn't mean it's really gaining market share. Good thing Microsoft has endless amounts of cash to throw at the problem, I guess.

Palm had very nice, competitive devices back in the day, but they botched things. What Apple has done (come back from a near-death experience in the tech market) is pretty rare- it's much more common to go down the Amiga/Borland path of irrelevancy, usually followed by fading into the background or outright bankruptcy. Technical excellence later isn't always meaningful once you fritter away chances, and both Microsoft and Blackberry frittered chances away.

GoodBoy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. maybe not in the case of BB. Their BB10 sales overseas and in Canada are very strong. Admitedly the US market is where they want and need to succeed and I think they will once the full BB10 product line is out and the other major carriers other than AT&T start selling them, and they will.

GoodBoy likes this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on my 4th all touch screen blackberry (Storm, Storm2, Torch, Z10). Only the diehard fans want the keyboard, if BB wants to expand or in the least maintain market share it needed a competitive all touch phone. I believe the Z10 was more designed to attract iphone or android users that are used to all touch and a larger screen.

GoodBoy likes this.
  15. i've used BB's for years and must say i've been very happy with them, i'm all text, email and calls, really very little use for browsing, one of the appeals is the size, if the touch screen is a much bigger phone i'll probably stay with the keyboard

16. BlackBerry back in profit, sells 1m Z10s
    • BY:ROB GILLIES
    • March 29, 2013 8:27AM
    [​IMG]
    BlackBerry maker Research In Motion surprised Wall Street by returning to profitability. Source: AAP
    RESEARCH In Motion says it sold about one million of its critically important new BlackBerry 10 devices and surprised Wall Street by returning to profitability in the most recent quarter.
    The earnings provide a first glimpse of how RIM's new touch-screen BlackBerry Z10 is selling internationally and in Canada since its debut on January 31.
    The one million Z10 phones exceeded the 915,000 analysts had been expecting.
    The BlackBerry, pioneered in 1999, had been the dominant smartphone for on-the-go business people and other consumers before the iPhone debuted in 2007 and showed that phones can handle much more than email and phone calls.
    RIM faced numerous delays modernising its operating system with the BlackBerry 10. During that time, it had to cut more than 5000 jobs and saw shareholder wealth decline by more than $US70 billion ($A67 billion).
    In the quarter that ended March 2, RIM earned $US98 million, or 19 US cents a share, compared with a loss of $US125 million, or 24 US cents a share, a year earlier. After adjusting for restructuring and other one-time items, RIM earned 22 US cents a share. Analysts surveyed by FactSet had been expecting a loss of 31 US cents.
    Revenue fell 36 per cent to $US2.7 billion, from $US4.2 billion. Analysts had expected $US2.82 billion.
    Despite the BlackBerry 10 sales, RIM lost about three million subscribers to end the quarter with 76 million.
    Bill Kreyer, a tech analyst for Edward Jones, called the decline "pretty alarming".
    "This is going to take a couple of quarters to really see how they are doing," Kreyer said.
    RIM, which is changing is formal name to BlackBerry, said it expects to break even in the current quarter.
    "To say it was a very challenging environment to deliver improved financial results could well be the understatement of the year," chief executive Thorsten Heins said during a conference call with analysts on Thursday.
    "I thought they were dead. This is a huge turnaround," Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said from New York.
    Misek said the Canadian company "demolished" the numbers, especially its gross margins. RIM reported gross margins of 40 per cent, up from 34 per cent a year earlier. The company credited higher average selling prices and higher margins for devices.
    The company also announced that co-founder Mike Lazaridis will retire as vice-chairman and director.

17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since its rellevent, blackberry is sending me a prototype of there physical keyboard device. I had a prototype of the z10 sent mine back last week for the real thing.

I'll post my opinions when it shows up.

8700 -> bold -> 9700 -> Torch -> iPhone here, I miss the physical keyboard, the mail exper

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. If you use the touch keyboard often enough in early days of obtaining the phone and read how it works you will love it.

Tenmoc and GoodBoy like this.
  19. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't been in the MLL lounges lately, but notice they have Z10 displays with functioning phones now (YUL & YVR)

guinnessxyz and GoodBoy like this.
  20. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Windows HTC 8x is a nice phone, but just restarts daily. Unacceptable.

Being replaced with a Z10 tomorrow. =)

GoodBoy likes this.
  21. Also YYZ, YEG and YWG.

GoodBoy and mtlfire like this.
  22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Defective firmware?

http://bgr.com/2012/11/28/windows-phone-8-reboot/

I'm still on an HTC HD7 running 7.5. At some point I will succumb to an urge to change phones, probably to the fruit company or a Nexus (either of which will be unlocked). Never succumbed to the BB craze (I was a Palm phone user before going to Windows Mobile), and don't see them as being particularly compelling.

Tenmoc and GoodBoy like this.
  23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stopped giving clicks to BGR when they swore up and down there were going to be two iPhone 4S devices, and Sprint was going to get a model all to its own.

Take them with a grain of salt.

GoodBoy and eponymous_coward like this.
  24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do a search for "windows phone 8 reboot". ;)

GoodBoy likes this.