America’s awful airports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jonspencer, Mar 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    On March 26th Skytrax, a consultancy, released its list of the world’s 100 best airports. The highest-ranked in America was tiny Cincinnati, at 27th. :eek:

SOGGY pizza, surly security staff and endless queues: American airports offer a shabby welcome to the greatest nation on earth.

The Economist delved into data on over 1m flights in 2013. For the most popular routes leaving America (see map), jets almost always land at an airport which is more highly-rated than the one from which they took off. We estimate that altogether 67% of people who fly out of America arrive at a better airport. The huddled masses deserve better.

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...king?fsrc=nlw|hig|3-27-2014|8155417|37083813|

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Merlin and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, according to the accompanying map, the only international airports worse than American ones are CDG and Sao Paolo (CGH/GRU?) - both worse than JFK. I wonder if most Milepointers agree?

Merlin likes this.
  3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always chuckle at Skytrax's "surveys" - for airlines or airports, whatever.

Exactly how many of their survey respondents are able to compare Changi with CDG with Miami with ICN with Santiago with Vancouver? It's like how many respondents are able from first hand knowledge to compare Cathay Pacific's first class seats with Emirates' suites with Qantas' A380 F and American's 77W? What, are they standing outside a gate at EWR interviewing pax boarding a UA flight to Denver and asking them to compare the airport with their experience at Narita waiting to board to Sydney?

The term in my head is GIGO. Now if you want to call it what it is, subjective assessments of airports, fine, go for it. But don't paint it as science.

I much prefer Changi over LAX, and SEA over EWR, but that's because I like the hawker court at SIN more than the Pizza Hut at EWR, and I just hate LAX on principle. There, are you blinded by the science?

bigx0, Merlin, violist and 2 others like this.
  4. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to 28 of top 100 airports the last couple years. My order seems to follow Skytax very nicely indeed, but one airport seems to be overrated and that is London Heathrow. My flights have recently been to and from the terminals 1 and 3 (and can be coloured of this) and it hasn't always been a pleasant experience being the lucky winner of a departure from T3 gate 22. As for most British airports at Heathrow you are not spared for long queues to pass UK Border Control, and on departure you meet the same long queues at security check (provided you don't have access to the semi fast track security check). When you are used to wait for max 3 minutes at both check point at your home airport, Heathrow in comparison resembles a Third World airport. Based on this I would say Heathrow is no better than Gatwick (on 35th place).

Newscience likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree about LHR. My singularly worst airport experience ever was connecting to DUB at that place.
    Even the newish T5 has p***-poor signage there are no free courtesy buses even for the airport hotels and you often have to pay to get transport another terminal

But back to Skytrax what do you expect from a primarily British publication? :rolleyes: As memory serves about two years ago they were under investigation for using data from e-mails in their surveys without even attempting to check the validity of the e-mails.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Newscience and Merlin like this.
  6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    More good stories can be told about Heathrow and many of them include extreme long walks, over ground and under ground. Skytrax has a certain UK flair, but if you look at one subcategory like Best Airport Staff in Europe you will not find a single UK airport among the top 10. In other words this listing seems not to be as biased as many other are. Here is a bit about the survey methodology according to Skytrax:

anileze and Newscience like this.
  7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What if UK airport staff are truly worse than others in Europe?

I've had generally good interactions at the "Best Airport Staff" airports and decidedly
    mixed ones in the Isles (not just the UK).

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how many Milepointers participated in these questionnaires ? Year on year, I have seen these rankings, and I have yet to meet personally a frequent flier who admits to filling those questionnaires.

Newscience and Max M like this.