Amenity selection for which it is worth giving up the points!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    many of us consistently select points over the amenity....but not everyone, and there are times when even the most point slavish among us might want to take the amenity. (I do when I' m traveling with friends or family' for example, but never on my own.)

List some of your fav/most elegant or just plain delish amenities ....so the rest of us will know when its's worth it to give up those points!

Key West -cheese tray along with red wine
    BOS - freshly baked, warm choc chip cookies delivered in a tin to keep them fresh!

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usally take the amenity because I gives me a something to eat late at night. Sometimes if I need to top of my account for an award I will take the points.

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I take points 99% of the time...that has a lot to do with where I do my mattress runs more than anything else :) However...while on vacation....I take the food/wine because it is nice to have after/before dinner while sitting on the lanai :)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  4. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PH Chicago and PH Washington does give a very nice assortment of cheese with red wine

Kaanapali likes this.
  5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the question...what type of wine? Do you get to choose or is it just a single house red?

6. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you can choose and could not remember the exact brand but it was definitely from Chile and it was a decent one.

Kaanapali likes this.
  7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like having the ability to choose - however a Chilean wine can be quite good :) Problem is now is that the market is realizing that Chilean wines are good and are driving up the price accordingly....which probably means that the red wine the next time at these properties might be from a different region/country! [​IMG]

8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    At Miami, Key West, and Tampa the brand was Canvas. I am not a wine drinker, but one of the guys is big time into wine, and he commented that it was far better than expected, and indicated a willingness to purchase at home.

In one place where they brought red, I requested sparkling "champagne" which they (appeared to) happily switch out, and that was ARIA.

So perhaps, if you nicely ask, they will offer options.

Kaanapali likes this.
  9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that information! It is good to know. Do you prefer champagne over red? I think sometimes hotels are willing to switch because they think its easier to do a cheap bottle of white/bubbly over cheap bottle of red without people noticing....(just mho)

10. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer drinks to wine, but in this case, i asked for bubbly because it is a women's weekend, we are getting up in the AM and drinking mimosa's, and after the first couple it could be the cheapest sparkling anything known to mankind and we probably wouldn't notice. ( or care)

Heresy to a wine drinker I know, but what can I say....

Kaanapali likes this.
  11. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for the Canvas Red. It's actually not bad at all. I have not tried the Canvas white, nor the Aria 'champagne' (sparkling wine).

I appreciate that most Hyatt's have a card with clear choice of items, usually:

one beverage option: (red, white, sparkling, pack of soda, 2 vodka minis + mixer)
    +
    one food option: (varies by hotel but usually a cheese option, cookies or a dessert)

or

the points.

12. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just back from a trip to Boston. Harborside (airport) Hyatt had a wonderful artisinal cheese platter and Canvas wines (I took the chardonnay) Quite good and will not miss the points - would order again ina heartbeat.

At the Cambridge Hyatt got the Canvas chardonnay and the hummus platter - perhaps 6 ounces of hummus with two small bags of pita chips. I'd had a very large, late lunch, so this ended up being a dinner/bedtime snack. It was adequate under the circumstances, but under ordinary circumstances, I'd do the points.

FriendlySkies and Kaanapali like this.
  13. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    No heresy here....one has to drink what he/she likes :) And if after the first couple you cannot tell the difference...why waste the money ;)

14. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this information! I have not stayed at the Harborside Hyatt - how is it?

15. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Harborside Hyatt is one of my favorite (biz) locations. here is the review I posted:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hyatt-at-bos-review.976/#post-8281

i actually like Cambridge too - but IMO neither is great for more than a night or two...just not enough activity around them.
    The location of the airport is obviously easy, but I think the food/restaurant is better at Cambridge. Both have a decent fitness center. Service at BOS edges out that at Cambridge. views at BOS are always spectacular, but Spring at Cambridge is kind of neat with the skullers. (?)

Kaanapali likes this.
  16. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there a very short time - got in at 8:30 p.m. and out by 7:30 the next morning. As mentioned, the amenity was quite nice. I used a soon to expire upgrade and got a suite which was pretty much two connected rooms. The living room had a murphy bed, and I am contemplating returning with a buddy for a long weekend and will use another upgrade cert so we will have some space. Views of the BOS skyline are really neat, and the water taxi takes you from a stop behind the hotel to the Long Wharf/Fanieul Hall/Aquarium area - chilly in the winter, but I envision it might be quite pleasant in the summer, and part of the "fun" if on a leisure weekend. No club level; Diamond breakfast permitted choice from menu or buffet. Buffet had heaps of smoked salmon, so the choice was easy for me. I looked around - the gym is pretty small, as is the pool. They offer a shuttle from BOS, and if you call to let them know you have landed, they will dispatch it immediately. Overall a good hotel if you can tolerate the airport location. And definitely superior to the Cambridge Hyatt, which is one of the more hurting properties I have encountered.

Kaanapali likes this.
  17. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to make my own report on Cambridge, which I would not mind to see deflagged.

At bottom, I found Cambridge to be tired - brick and concrete are not nice design elements - no one's gonna get a Pritzker prize for this place. Service was off - they were just not knowledgeable, and the amenity and breakfast were mediocre at best. Got a nice view of the Charles, which would likely have been more pleasant if it was not frozen over, but I do not expect the Hyatt to melt the river for me.

18. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, did you get the buffet or a cooked to order breakfast? i have never gotten the buffet, but my cooked to order has always been excellent. Haven't ever had to ask the staff any questions, so cannot comment on their level of knowledge...and while the cement aspect may not give one the warm and fuzzies, I don't think it is any worse than say, Balto Inner Harbor. as for deflagging, I would nominate Princeton for that honor before Cambridge! :>)

19. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Princeton HR...which I think I reviewed here on MP...is a bit tired and in need of a refreshing for the rooms. That being said though, I feel the staff there has improved a lot in the past year and the breakfast buffet is not bad at all (and the cooked to order is good).

I concede the view of the Charles is better than the view of Route 1 (I would concede that regardless...I lived in Mass for years) ;)

20. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points every time - what else does a miles and points junkie do? [​IMG]

21. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although i am not often in that area, will give Princeton another try based on your comments.....

22. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the buffet, and have started a thread for Cambridge reviews.

23. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up...I thought i had posted here, but turns out it was that "other site".....

24. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apple pie and half bottle of wine from Park Hyatt Washington!

25. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    90% of the time, I take the points. However, the Hyatt Waikiki provides an excellent assortment of fresh fruit (oranges, kiwi, banana, etc) and a good bottle of wine.

[​IMG]