Ameican Airlines eshopping mileage credit problem

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by baller0960, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. baller0960

baller0960 New Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,
    I just purchased a nice 5 figure purchase from aa eshopping for printing supplies. I received the shipment over a week and a half ago and my card has long been charged. I still have not received any confirmation or ANY notification pendings of my order. The order was place over 3 weeks ago and nothing from AA side as to where those miles are. I emailed the eshopping website (since there is no way other way to contact them) and have not gotton any response from them. This is ridiculous that i have no way of getting in touch with them on an order that i should receive a real nice handful of points. Any suggestion or ideas ???....

Thanks, Mike

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Mike, welcome to MP!

American Airlines has a representative that reads the posts on this forum. Someone posted a similar issue recently and they replied with the following information: LINK.

It looks like the miles can take up to 8 weeks to post, so you might have to wait a few more weeks.

Keep in mind that while AA provides miles for the e-shopping venture, their are two other parties involved: the portal administrater (Cartera) and the vendor itself. Each entity has a hand in processing the transactions, so it might not neccesarily be AA that is holding up the posting of your miles.

Best of luck!

sobore likes this.
  3. baller0960

baller0960 New Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the welcome and thanks for gettin back !,
    Is it normal that i shouldnt receive any conf or some showing of pending points, or at least my order to be listed in previous purchases ?? I mean acc to the eshoppping website, I never made such a purchase.

Thanks Mike

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I don't use e-shopping, so my information on the topic is just from reading what others here on the forum have posted.

I will say that it's odd that you contacted the site and received no response though. I would certainly follow up, and hopefully another one of our AA citizens can chime in with information about how e-shopping miles are tracked in the system.

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    eshopping can be buggy at times/with certain vendors. After 45 days, you'll probably be more like to get a response from them. After that, you can contact them via https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/contact-us.aspx

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I purchased some gifts through adavantageshopping.com on 12/15 from Best buy, Barnes and Noble and also on 12/09 from Fragrancenet.com
    None of these showed up on my Transactions page (on aa.com) until about a week ago, the Bestbuy and Barnes and Noble miles have already posted to my AA account, the Fragrancenet.com shows as pending.

One thing you should be aware of ....if you bought those office supplies from Office Depot or Staples and used any sort of discounts like the ones they normally mail to past customers. The miles will post to aa.com and then they be deducted
    a short time later. Apparently the discounts with these two retailers negates all miles earned through aadvantage shopping..

7. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Ditto - welcome to MP! DestinationDavid speaks the truth (as usual). It can take up to 8 weeks for miles to post. If, after 8 weeks, miles still have not posted to your account please send us a PM here, and we'll look into the transaction for you!

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cartera has a poor track record for actually posting miles offered on the site. You only need to read threads here and TOBB to see that. eShopping, for better or worse, is a dismal failure in terms of customer service.

9. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

To mitigate potential problems, I always (1) clear cookies, (2) take a screenshot of the initial store landing page which usually shows some referral code in the URL, (3) make a note of the date, amount, #miles expected, etc.

Luckily, I've never had to contact Cartera. But I know I'm in the minority here. I made a $600 purchase at Sears in December, and thought I'd have an issue with the points, but happily got my 6000 miles earlier this week. I know someone else, though, who has been having an issue for a few months for a $500 Sears purchase. :(

10. baller0960

baller0960 New Member

Status Points:
    I understand that it takes 8 weeks to post to my account. But does it make sense that i shouldnt be seeing ANYTHING connected to that order in my account with eshoppping ?

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As newbluesea mentioned above, it seems like it is typical. He made purchases in the middle of December that did not show up on his account until last week.

Certainly seems like the system could use an update, and until it receives one best to keep vigilant on what miles you are owed like it seems you are doing. It's part of the reason I don't get involved with e-shopping too much.

12. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 as well.
    It's a complete 'hit or miss' situation with them, even if' you take extra steps to ensure you get the credit via using a new session, clearing the cookies, etc.
    Considering how long it can take to get the transaction properly recorded, and how long it can take for a missing credit appeal to get addressed, it can sometimes be literally months before you get what you're owed.
    To say nothing of the requests for missing miles/credits that never got any sort of response whatsoever.

I personally think 'dismal failure in terms of customer service' is an understatement.

13. Albert C. Rollins

Albert C. Rollins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Mike, as others have mentioned already, the main culprit here is a company called CARTERA, they handle all of the shopping portals of many airlines and other companies. Do a search under CARTERA, and you will see numerous post regarding their practices. Many have commented the length of time it takes to get miles credited. I would send an email to usersupport@cartera.com.
    I've had my share of issues in the past with shopping portals that I no longer use them. My wife, on the other hand uses them. Just a couple of weeks ago she received AA miles credit for a March 2011 Itunes purchase. Personally, my time is worth a lot to spend it chasing around miles, sending emails, etc, etc. Is just not worth it. However, in your case, this 5 figure purchase has some merit to fight.
    In the end, in order to fight and win against this company, Cartera, is to NOT use its services. Once retailers realize that their products are not selling through Cartera, they will stop using them. The hassle you go through to get your miles to post is just not worth at all.

cvsara likes this.
  14. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the poor service you can get through AA shopping portal. It might not be AA that is the problem, but it IS their entry way to the retailer you want to buy from, and (IMO) AA, and maybe the others too, should do a much better job of taking care of their customers/shoppers. I used AA shopping mall twice, and got no points from them, twice. After trying emails, I gave up, (My time, as stated above, is more valuable than chasing points) But the lesson was learned -- Avoid the airline shopping portals.

iolaire and jwsky like this.
  15. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more than cvsara's post. I did get my miles after numerous e mails and many many months. Not worth the trouble.

tondoleo and cvsara like this.
  16. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen.

17. YULflyer

YULflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a number of problems over the years. In each case where I followed up, I eventually got my miles. These days, I still use AAdvantage eShopping, but don't bother tracking what I expect to get. As far as I can tell, pretty much everything that I am owed has been posted, but if I miss something, so be it. I am no worse off than if I didn't use the portal, and most of the time, I am ahead of the game compared to not using it. Admittedly, I never make really big purchases - perhaps if I did, I might track them more.

dmel likes this.
  18. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who was the vendor? If it was 123inkjets I can share this data point: I just received the 'miles pending' email from eShopping for an order I placed about 3 weeks ago. At 16 mi. per $ I was happy to see this one go thru :). In general I find about 1/3 of my eShopping orders require follow-up to get miles posted (if at all). Pretty poor.

dmel likes this.
  19. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my philosophy, too.

20. hotelexec

hotelexec Active Member

Status Points:
    I purchased from staples back in september...and have had several emails to aadvantage shopping as the "investigate" why I have not gotten my miles...other than that...I have found the mileage posts to happen about 3-4 weeks from time of purchase.

BTW...welcome!!
    Todd

21. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    SHAME ON YOU CARTERA
    I made 2 separate purchases at performancebike.com, both through the Advantageeshopping.com
    Date of purchases:
    August 30 - $989.99=2,969.97 miles
    September 5 - $157.93=473.79 miles
    I have written Cartera a total of 7 emails attempting to get the miles I earned to post.
    On 11/27 I recieved this email:

Dear Corey XXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Thank you for contacting AAdvantage eShopping (SM). We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused. This information has been forwarded to our research department for review. Please allow 2-6 weeks for this matter to be resolved.

Sincerely,
    Tom

[​IMG]

AAdvantage eShopping (SM) Customer Care

As of today, over the 2-6 weeks Cartera promised this to be resolved, I have heard nothing. To make matter worse I have just under a few thousand miles from earning Lifetime Gold on AA. The miles cartera owes me would push me to Lifetime Gold. I am flying to London on Monday for the MegaDO. Was hoping to use my status to pick better seats and earn my 25% bonus miles. Looks like I will have to wait for all this to kick in starting my return flight.

The airlines should severe their relationships with Cartera until they decide to get their act together.

jwsky likes this.
  22. baller0960

baller0960 New Member

Status Points:
    hey guys, So i emailed aa eshopping about 5 times. I finally received a response 2 weeks later stating that i should wait up until 45 days to receive the points. After 45 days and still not receiving the points, i emailed them again. They said that they have no record of my transaction and i have to send them all my info of the transaction and wait 2-6 weeks for an email response as to whats going on.
    Im so frustrated at the incompetence of this company. I am spending so much time to receive points that are rightfully mine. Any ideas as to what my next step should be ???......thanks !

23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quit using eShopping and let American know why.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  24. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish that AA had an e-shopping option set up like Delta offers (SkyMiles Shopping) where you don't have to give your credit card information over. (As a past identity theft victim, that makes me quite nervous.) They have an easy log in process for you that links you directly to the merchant's site and allows you to pay how you wish. They also send an e-mail confirming your miles (and they post) usually within a couple of days.

25. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to give AA shopping your credit card. That is only for the bricks and mortar stores. If you just want to go through the online shopping mall - it works the same way Delta's mall works.