Ambassador weekend certificate

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by lichenlt, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    First time using this certificate. I was wondering how it works. When I was quoting a room for a two-night stay, the website still gave me the total price for two nights. Do I book two nights and get charged for one night when I present the certificate at check-in? Is that how this works?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct and correct! The cost is usually a bit more than the Advance Purchase Rate per night, but is usually a better deal per night.

lichenlt likes this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks JohnDeere19.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    One more question, what's the upgrade experience for Ambassadors at Intercontinental New York Barclay?

Jubilee777 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always received a suite upgrade and the staff there is great. The steak frites in the bar is outstanding!!

JohnDeere19 and lichenlt like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a bit more?!? YMMV on this one.

I've found the BOGO certificate price per night to be well north of the best cancelable rate. I feel I'm doing OK with the BOGO cert but not near the savings I used to get being able to use the BOGO with adv purchase rates.

7. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Advance purchase rate and AAA rate used to be great. I've been disappointed with the current rates for the certificate and the fact that the hotel now knows that you're using a certificate because you have to use the link. Call me paranoid but if you've got a list of people to give upgrades to those using a certificate will be last. Also, I had a problem trying to book some dates a few times at The Barclay where it told me that my rate, certificate rate, wasn't available for the dates I was looking for. This was never an issue before when you just presented it upon check in.

That being said I still love being a Royal Ambassador and think it's a great program with amazing staff.

lichenlt and Sweet Willie like this.
  8. mrittmayer

mrittmayer Member

Status Points:
    Just finished the the last stay at IC in 2011, here are the results.

Booked
    2 nights on AMBweekend cert on priority club special page, on Priority club website. Expected trip cost $200 + certificate.

Sun/Mon (paid nights) - result no upgrade, no welcome gift tried to use free 2nd nite certificate but was denied as clarified by hotel staff front desk only can use for second nite and that means the second nite must be a Fri-Sun, I guess I can check in Thursday and use the certificate for Friday night of 2 night stay,
    it's still not clear why I was able to book and hotel denied. Was given lounge access for Sun-Mon. Ate breakfast there, but food mediocre, so not enjoyable. (RA benefits value $20 at best, unexpected extra cost $200)

Still have certificate anybody want it ?

Treated like a scoundrel for trying to use certificate....felt bad the whole stay...never use IC hotels until I get a formal apology and my points back.

lichenlt likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's pretty clear on their site that they consider the second night to be complimentary, but I would imagine the hotel might have been able to do something on the rate, or perhaps provide some sort of "perk" to an Ambassador to compensate.

lichenlt likes this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or when you used to use it with government or corporate rates.

lichenlt and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you got an upgrade if you got lounge access? That's at least an upgrade to club level. You were just missing the welcome amenity. Also you would have had the minibar free, whose value is up to you.

And what points do you want back? You said you paid for the nights, so what points are you hoping to get refunded?

If you are an RA and this is the first less than ideal stay you've had, have you not been RA/Amb for a long time? Missing welcome amenities are pretty normal; most people think the fruit basket is their welcome gift even.

When does your cert expire?

lichenlt likes this.
  12. mrittmayer

mrittmayer Member

Status Points:
    f

No expiration.....no room upgrade no welcome amenity no fruit basket....treated like a scoundrel

Have been an RA for 6 years and this was not as expected.

Why was I able to book weekend cert and then get denied.....seems website flaw to allow sun mon booking for special rate and them deny at hotel.

The program is turning to garbage and now increasing points required ......TIME TO MOVE ON

13. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a BOGO cert expiring 3/12 that I would like to trade for something of comparable value.

14. I agree totally. I used my last BOGO cert a tthe IC in Rome and the rate charged per night was 125 euros over the rate for the same room I was getting with the BOGO. What I did do to get around the extortionate BOGO rate, my stay being 4 nights, was to book the paid room rate first and then the BOGO as a second res. By paying up for the 1st two nights I got to keep the suite upgrade as well. Small consolation however.

15. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I have found the BOGO rates to be often about 50% more than the BAR. Takes sun of the value of the package away IMO.

16. Jubilee777

Jubilee777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this at the IC Barclays? Like OP, i have a upcoming stay using the amb certificate, so am just curious.

Rgds

SQ LPP likes this.
  17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you guys really find the BOGO so worthless, start a conversation with me. I will gladly take them off your hands. :D I am being quite serious.

javacodeguy and viguera like this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:

You say you've been an RA for six years and you are surprised by how the BOGO was not applied? It is very clear that the second night must be a Saturday or Sunday night, unless you are in a Muslim country where it can also be a Friday night (and your Thursdays paid night would apply since Friday is the Sunday holy day equivalent). How did you ever think it was for a Monday night? Not only that, but since these now must be booked on the special BOGO site, the room should not book anything other than the proper combination of two nights. Quite rightly you were not following any of the T&Cs for the cert.

Why won't you tell us which property this was?

Pete likes this.
  19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Moi aussi.

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never found that. The BOGO rates are always identical to the Best Flex Rate.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  21. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. And since I mostly book BFRs since I change my plans a lot, it's no big deal to me. So...send 'em all my way, folks!