AMB - to renew or not to renew

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by foxberg, Dec 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There comes this time of the year when my AMB is up for renewal. And every year I contemplate on my own what to do. I didn't renew last year and ended up getting it anyway for a full price in points. This year I want to ask your opinion. In your mind, given the benefits that come with the status is it really worth it 19K points (24K less 5K certificate they send)? I have no chance of reaching RA, so am I better off with just Platinum that comes as a benefit of Chase CC?
    Thanks.

uggboy and Rosalia like this.
  2. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you stay in ICs, you do better renew it, 19K points are not much for the benefits you get from the AMB status... and if you just stay in CPlaza and HI, Platinum is more than enough.

Ready2board, foxberg and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As written above, I would renew when staying often in ICs, but wouldn't bother with AMB when staying only in CPs, HIs, Indigo or HIX properties. PLT is the way to go outside your stays of ICs.

foxberg likes this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    IC :) I only get to stay once or twice at IC during a year. And I'm thinking of switching to SPG and Marriott altogether. I get more benefits for being MR G then IHG PL AMB. And SPG G is about the same if not better.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you want "real" perks which are part of a program I would recommend moving over to Marriott, SPG or Hilton. Hilton especially has the best "mid-tier" level perks at Gold incl. breakfast. It does equally depends on your stay pattern and average overnight rate plus stay vs. nights status earning opportunities. Overall, IHG is good regarding lots of points in a short time and AMB makes sense when staying in IC's a lot, but the others offer such tangible benefits like breakfast which IHG doesn't.

Lionell and foxberg like this.
  6. Ready2board

Ready2board Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same, but only due to the very pleasant stay in the IC Berlin in October 2014 I decided to renew. When I got the letter two weeks back with the new membercard there was a voucher of 10k points included, which was nice.

7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was there an explanation why was it 10K instead of 5K? 5K extra makes a difference. Also, have they finally changed a design of the AMB card?

8. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I renewed mine last week as well. On the renewal page you had 3 options: either pay $ 200 and get a 15K points voucher and 10% rebate on reward nights up to 100K maximum, or pay $ 150 and get a 10K voucher or pay with 24K of points and get a 5K points voucher.

I went for the $ 200 options as I'm currently stacking up IHG points. Like @Ready2board wrote, I also based my renewal on an experience from last year, although not staying a lot at IC hotels, the perks you get as Ambassador are nice especially as I book IC hotels for special occasions like my birthday this year.

foxberg likes this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. AMB can be good if one knows the GM or so. Other than that almost all IC's at first say the little AMB benefits are not for award/points, stays only revenue. Only when arguing will they relent. There is no Breakfast, lounge for AMB or IHG Platinum. The whole IHG Club loyalty program is far behind mid-tier status in HH and MR and highest tier in GP and SPG in my opinion.