Amazon Cloud Failure took MP down today

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some of you might have found MP was down for 4 hours- it was because of a massive failure in the Amazon Cloud, which also took out foursquare, reddit, and a ton of other sites. As a result, Amazon's stock price went UP today. Go figure.

2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think MP should award Gold Status to all Original Members for this "outrage". ;)

3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hear, hear!!

Horse, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hear, hear. Four hours without MilePoint forced us all back to FlyerTalk. How awful is that?

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every time I go back and read a few threads, I find that within 5 posts or so, someone complains that the OP is in the wrong forum. Given how often I use the "What's New?" feature, here it's like we have no forums!

Bob Smolinsky and Wurm like this.
  6. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the outage did allow me to get caught up on the FT AA forum strum und drang concerning the likely end of counting non-flight mileage towards million mile status.

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    lin821 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT was down briefly too today. I wonder if the problem was all of us who temporarily migrated back there.

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did drop into FT - and still saw no value in what was posted ... what does that tell you! :eek:

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to agree with you here ... the What's New view is what I use now with the option to see all threads (even off topic) and it really makes it easier...

11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was painful to post on FT again, knowing I'm being "watched". Thanks goodness the situation is better.

Bob Smolinsky and Dovster like this.
  12. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where, where?

Bob Smolinsky and Wurm like this.
  13. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It tells you that I was posting.

Bob Smolinsky, alpinesoccer and ACMM like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep seeing that the cloud was down for four hours, but it seemed like closer to six to me. I was also having problems with MP being slow and nonresponsive before it died.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is good that it is back.... :)

Bob Smolinsky and travelingmore like this.
  16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the fired Air Traffic Controllers now work at Amazon. Although half of the internet went down, they did have a nice nap.

[​IMG]

17. As the systems admin. I should get some similar status for the stress I have undergone today :)

It just happened to be wild luck that one of the 9 hard drives that is in our system was part of the outage, and that I happened to choose the east coast location that went down. The strange thing is that I spread those drives out over different locations within that east coast region just to avoid any down time because of an outage. Go figure that the system that mirrors all of those 9 hard drives is what went down for the entire east region.

Glad we are back.

18. Amazon was having issues for more like 9 hours. Milepoint was down for something like 6 hours, and there probably was some issues during the 9 hours, Amazon refers to it as latency.

Cholula and ACMM like this.
  19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, I was forwarded a memo today describing the original FlyerTalk at its release, back from a time I was probably too young to remember (well, maybe not that far back, but definitely when I wasn't yet paying for my own flights). The description was almost exactly what MP is today. There was a specific request to avoid "general aviation and airfare discussions." :( Despite some people's efforts, talk about fares and MRs really hasn't taken off on MP like it did on FT, but maybe time will tell.

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not even to see you are one of the top 25 on AC! :D

I did go through a bit of detox today. <refresh> <refresh> <refresh>
    shakes are over, glad MP is back online! :p

21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That top 25 was before the birth of milePoint - I look forward to a long posting life here :)

Bob Smolinsky and canucklehead like this.
  22. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to be back!

At my place of employment (a retailer/whosaler with a vary large warehouse operation), the large IBM System i (AS/400) that runs the POS at the stores and everything else except the Microsoft stuff, is both mirrored within itself, then an exact twin System i (also mirrored within itself) is kept real-time concurrent with Mimix, ready to jump in if the primary system has any kind of catastrophic event (so far so good - we manually flip them every 90 days, to be sure).

On internet outages, I don't know if you remember a case from earlier in Internet hisotry (latter '90s I think) - apparently a squirrel digging near the San Jose airport chomped on a vital cable that carried trunk 'Net traffic to a regional center (I don't remember the technical term), The squirrel bought the farm, but it took several western states down with it,

23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Similar story March 28; a 75 year old woman digging for copper cable for scrap in Georgia took out the internet for much of Georgia and Armenia and possibly Azerbaijan. Really. Google it. (how deep was that cable, and how can they have no redundancy for a whole country?)

24. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Cholula, I suspect Randy would figure that Gold Status to all Original Members is too much compensation for the "outrage". So I think we should settle for Gold for all MP Guides.;)

25. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must also confess: I was a bad dog and went to FT. At least I did not turn to the booze to overcome the void. Oh, and thanks to the outage I almost bought a trip to BUH.

In other news: I wonder how the outage impacts the entire 'never goes out of service cloud' marketing buzz.

Update: Found a fellow traveler and bought the BUH trip. But then polynesianairlines.com is down right now preventing me from dropping some more cash on intra-Samoa flights.