Amazing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lipton, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    how many people still believe traveling is very expensive. When I tell people I fly some place for 2-3 days, they almost get unconscious. When I tell them I try to fly places every single weekend I dont have to work at, they believe I am a billionaire.

savydog and JasonH like this.
  2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    But... but.. I thought you ARE a billionaire!

3. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because people usually don't plan ahead and are clueless. And they buy coach tix to Florida a month out, and it's $700. I wouldn't even pay that to fly to Europe.

4. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should we be glad that they buy these crazy tickets? Airlines have to earn money somehow! Otherwise they could not offer cheep tickets. (the once we use when flying places) :p

5. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've taken to actively hiding my travels from friends and co-workers. My roommate was usually clued in by my missing contact lens case, but now that I have a spare, a vague, "Oh, you know, out late..." usually answers her, "where were you this weekend?" inquiry.

6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think I have every paid more than $400 of my money for a plane ticket. If work is paying that is a different story.

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its better idea to not share your schedule with others, because they just get jealous!

but flying is still generally expensive if you do what most people do... pick a place you want to go, pick a weekend, pick everything else but the flight until you make up your mind to go there. I think much of our travel is determined by flight prices, I know mine is.

8. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I almost get embarrassed to tell people we are traveling again because we both have low paying jobs that wouldn't normally be able to afford overseas trips. It's amazing what you can achieve by getting the right credit cards, playing the right promos like US Grand Slam and filling out surveys! It's just too bad Club Bing dried up! It's even harder to explain that we aren't loaded with cash and can't afford to do certain things while we can jet off to foreign lands.

9. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found this juxtaposition amusing.

To answer the original question, no I'm not surprised by how many people think travel is expensive or how expensive most people think travel is. I'm just (happily) amazed at how inexpensive in CAN be, when done correctly.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some good deals I have flown just because the price was so good. $0 + taxes $80 Air Asia - gold coast - Kuala Lumpur one way - $0 + $19 taxes KL to macau one way same company. I used my Qantas points for a business class ticket home. Jetstar Brisbane - Christchurch $80 each way return including taxes.

Just need to be flexible with what deals are out there. Had planned a weekend in Brisbane but no accommodation booked and I picked up some tickets to Sydney $50 each way and saw Simon & Garfunkel in concert there instead of the Brisbane weekend.

Chimpy likes this.
  11. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also when Tiger started flying from Rockhampton to Melbourne they had opening specials of $0 + $20 taxes. Booked 4 weekends away to Melbourne for $40 return spaced 3 months apart.

Chimpy likes this.
  12. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, not many regular folk would think of cancelling their plans for Prague because they missed the Beat the Timer sale for the Sheraton. But it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, it's a matter of priorities. Most of my friends have a lot more money than I do, but always say they never have time or money to travel. Well, one did ask me to to join her on a canal trip in France for her special birthday - daughter married to a doctor couldn't afford to accompany -- three YEARS from now! I said of course, sweetie, but expect to be on the moon or Mars when that obligation comes due.

13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    are you taking one of those Branson Virgin Galactic mileage runs out of the desert in New Mexico?

14. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea! I would do anything to avoid being captive on a canal boat that moved 1 mile per day in the company of a friend I've known for 40 years but never felt close enough to call up for lunch or whatever. I would lose my mind by day two if not before.

15. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you look at average salaries in most areas, then yes travelling/flying is still expensive for most.

AtomicGardener likes this.
  16. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get people who go to all inclusives asking me how I can afford to go on a cruise. They are surprised when I tell them our most recent cruise was under $4000 all in for us and the kids, in a cabin with balcony. Of course, around here, most people are looking at flights from Toronto, which are actually expensive for the most part. My last flights to Florida, I paid less for the flights on Delta than what the taxes and fees were on Air Canada.

17. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is the part that amazes me. all inclusive resorts can be more than cruises and you don't get to see several places. not only that, i have done land vacations with the family and even when we have used hotel points for stays and airline miles for flights, we still end up spending what it would cost for a cruise on food and other stuff. [​IMG] seems a bit of a waste to me. (granted you cannot cruise everywhere you want to go, sadly)

we love cruising, especially the kids so it is an easy conversation when i start with the "i am thinking about this cruise, what do you think?" discussion. usually they are all, we don't care where we are going just tell us when. LOL

i am also amazed at those that don't budget for a trip in advance. no sooner am i back at home from a trip, than i am thinking about the next trip. [​IMG]

DanJ likes this.
  18. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually start looking at the next cruise while I'm still on one. The ship's internet computers have free access to the cruise line website, so I start looking then. I also try to buy open future bookings on board, so that when you pick the next cruise (you don't have to decide right then), you also get an onboard credit as a bonus. Plus the $200 I gave them then serves as the deposit for 2 of us for the next cruise, so I don't have to hand over the $500 at booking.

19. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    hehehe, yes exactly. we do the same thing. i think we have about 2 or 3 future cruise credits stored up, each of us. it does make picking your next cruise much easier. i am a bit bummed that they (Princess) changed how they do the OBC when you use your FCC to book. it used to be that if you used one FCC, each person in the room got the OBC. they have since changed it to only the person whose FCC was used gets the credit. that was one loophole i am sad got closed b/c you were getting your full FCC credit so to speak in OBC. now you only get back a portion. if you can follow my math on that. [​IMG]

the other thing i mentioned in another thread here is the Carnival (CCL) shareholder benefit. as it stands right now, every cruise with any of the cruiselines under the CCL stock gives you additional OBC. which is awesome if you cruise even once a year, depending on the length of the cruise. this makes cruising even more enticing, if that was even possible.

20. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I
    I think the part they changed was the ability to purchase one future cruise credit on the ship for $100, then call up to book the cruise and give them another $100 for the second person. Now you have to use a certificate for both people, but you still both get the credit. This affects people who like to stack their future cruises, so they have to have multiple certificates on hand at a time. We still aren't at that point where we would have more than one cruise booked at a time, so we are fine just buying our FCC's on each cruise as we sail it. $200 per couple for advance bookings (and getting a credit onboard) still beats $500 per couple upfront if you have several cruises booked at once LOL.

21. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    agreed at the FCC being valuable for booking instead of plopping down more money. hmmm, reading over your post, i think i got lost. my last cruise booked, for summer this year, i used one FCC and then made up the other $100 needed by just paying for it, not using a FCC (we were short one FCC). maybe that was just some mojo my agent used?

i took a cruise last January with my sister in laws. (they have never cruised before) I tried in vain to talk them into buying a FCC. I even explained they had 4 years in which to use it and even if they didn't use it, they could get the money back. No go. [​IMG] I even explained that the reason we got OBC and a better deposit option was b/c i had used MINE for the cruise. They just couldn't see the value. *headdesk*

it is much like explaining FF programs or hotel points to "outsiders". they just don't "get" it. needless to say, i am tired of trying to explain this stuff. thankfully my kids have caught on very well. [​IMG] they love the free breakfast, executive lounges or airline lounges and other amenities. spoiled? maybe but they at least get the value of getting extras. ;)

22. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding, which can just as likely be mistaken, is you have to use 2 FCC's for both to get the OBC. I thought they had done away with the second $100 deposit if you only used one FCC. But what you described above is exactly what people used to do with future bookings, just use one certificate at a time, and pay the $100 for the second person at time of actually booking.

23. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    we are talking around each other. LOL

you are correct. if you both want OBC from the FCC, then yes, you each have to use one. in my case, i had one FFC, that got us into the room and one OBC, but since i didn't have another one to use, i was given the option to just pay the add'l $100. the second person in the cabin does not get any OBC from this. so i guess it is still possible to do what you described. perhaps this is a perk they offer to their previous cruisers or ones with some sort of status?

24. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    What you describe is the way I thought it was now, other than I didn't know you could still pay the $100 deposit for the second person when only using one FCC.