Amazing Race #18

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Westsox, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Season starts tonight from Palm Springs, CA. I took a golf trip with my son last May to Palm Springs and had a wonderful time.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to keep up with this series and watch it from time to time, but now hardly ever do.

Think 'cause I rather be on the road and the one traveling instead of watching the folks in the show :)

AmericanGirl likes this.
  3. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to be able to be on this show but I have no one to go with me. I'd have to take time off from work which I can least afford. How do the contestants financially survive without an income?

AmericanGirl likes this.
  4. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go Cowboys!

IMGone and AmericanGirl like this.
  5. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I completely miss the Australian edition, or is that #18?

AmericanGirl likes this.
  6. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's great news - I didn't realize. I wish the Australian one would finally start[​IMG]

AmericanGirl and JALPak like this.
  7. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fairly typical episode last night. Teams split onto 2 planes LAX-SYD, second one 90 minutes after the first. First plane gets diverted to HNL and arrives late, putting the second set in the lead. Cowboys walked around SYD saying "Gracias" to everyone they met?!?!

The very beginning involved running into a field of paper airplanes and finding the one that signified "Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service", and yet several of the teams had no clue they were looking for Qantas.

There was a puzzle that involved nothing more than translating nautical characters on a series of flags into words using a decoder, and yet several teams entirely failed to get the point. At least one team figured out the first few words and then quit saying "we'll figure it out." One team helped out the Globetrotters by giving them the answer, and another gave it to Kent(Kynt)/Vyxen saying "it'll be good to have a weaker team in the running."

A couple interesting twists in the rules. The last team to depart the starting line got an automatic U-Turn in the first sprint (yet to happen, as it is in part 2 of this 2-part episode), and the first team to arrive at the mid-point finish line last night got an "express pass", that they can use to avoid any task of their choice at any point in the race.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  8. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not like the 2 part episode set-up for the start of the season. I think they should make it a two hour first eposiode or end the first night of competition without eliminating a team.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  9. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was a good first episode, though I'm not particularly thrilled with the teams. I do love Mallory -- it was a hoot when Phil told her to stop talking and race. I always thought the Cowboys were annoying. They may be nice guys, but that, "aw, shucks," mouth-breathing, dumb-as-a-post manner of theirs just gets old. "Gracias"? Really? Is it like when Myrna used to speak generic "foreign" wherever she went?

I liked the Globetrotters from their first outing. Can't stand the cheerleaders or wives-married-to-football-players. I was rooting for mother and son last time. I notice that "Kynt" has become "Kent" for this go-round. The name change doesn't help. As a former long-haired, tie-dye-wearing, Peace-and-Love hippie, I have absolutely nothing against pseudo-Goths, but he's just weird and, sorry, Vyxen ain't no vixen in my book.

I guess, for me, it's "Go, Mallory!" this time around, though I really wish she'd stop with the, "Help me Jesus!" every 5 minutes.

nomflyer and AmericanGirl like this.
  10. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the Globetrotters displayed a nice bit of class by commenting that the important thing was that the passenger with the medical emergency was taken care of, even though that made their plane arrive later than the second one to depart.

I was also amazed at the people who didn't figure out the QANTAS clue and were trying random airlines. I can see them having tried other things with Queensland in the name, but Pan Am?

IMGone and AmericanGirl like this.
  11. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    How anyone could confuse Pan Am with the given clue?
    Most of the contestants are not "well traveled" so I guess many of them had never heard of QANTAS.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  12. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved the kangaroo suits - couldn't stop laughing as I watched the racers in them. But do so few people really know Hg is mercury?

Tiki and AmericanGirl like this.
  13. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Globetrotters and the mother/son pair (I forget their names).

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The asian father/daughter can go - like the daughter but the dad? Ugh! I thought that other Dad (dad/son) team was going to have a heart attack!! Hope he makes it through however far they get without any health issues. Bless him for even playing at 70!

I am not seeing the same energy levels across the teams as you see on the original series. I hope that changes as they get further into this.

Go Cowboys and Mother/Son (deaf) teams!!

AmericanGirl likes this.
  15. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a non-scientist who's experience with the periodic table is limited to general science classes that were a long time ago, I must say that I wouldn't have known that Hg was Mercury. Not exactly one of the obvious ones.

The team that found the person with a smart phone who was willing to look it up really scored.

And, yes, I also loved the kangaroo suits - one of TARs better moments. There was an episode of some TAR-like show long forgotten where the men wound up running around some tiny Swiss town wearing lingerie that was equally amusing.

16. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love watching TAR! I'm fairly young and not so well-traveled, so I enjoy seeing many places I may one day like to visit.

IMGone likes this.
  17. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew mercury but definitely not bismuth. (Just had to look up the spelling of bismuth in fact!)

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    is this given online anywhere? or only if i catch it when it airs?

19. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My son and daughter age 16 & 11 knew the answers, I had no idea.

IMGone likes this.
  20. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and IMGone like this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

So I have to ask. Did anyone else notice they kept showing pics of the short ferry leaving to "manly" on the show as stock footage? The Manly ferry is always the longer drive in drive out ferry.

Stupid CBS.

IMGone likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    As it turns out we flew to SYD on the same night the racers did. Except we were ex-SFO and they came out of LAX.

23. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was the funniest episode EVER! [​IMG] I wish they would have filmed that one in Brisbane!

24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I will say is YAY!

Who in their right mind brought back an inept team?

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the teams were chosen on popularity.

I must say I was very disappointed with the HG's bag drop. The right thing would have been to return it to the original place they picked it up from. (That does not excuse Ron for being a prick in general, though.)

After all this time, I do think its funny they subtitle the Cowboys. I can understand them perfectly! [​IMG]

Tenmoc likes this.