Aman Hotels looks like the world's best hotel chain

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamAlex, Jul 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I really do think it has the most distinctive and un cooperate hotels of any chain. I think the Aman Venice on the webpage looks stunning as does all the hotels really. The ones in India are on my list as the best a chain has ever produced. I never been to one but they look perfect.

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the high overnight price they charge, I would nothing expect, but perfection.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Plenty of places at that price point that are FAR less than perfect

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which one?

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Here's one I stayed at this year -- Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman was asking $1k/night when I was there in January for a conference. The place is a resort factory. My table was cleared and given to someone else at breakfast while I visited the buffet. You have to get out to the beach by 8am to reserve a beach chair. Housekeeping entered my room despite the do not disturb sign being on the door, while I was getting dressed.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, that's not the experience you / we would wish for in a resort which charges $1K/night. I presume you aren't a fan of the Ritz-Carlton chain then, at least after this? Interesting insights. Ritz-Carlton belongs to Marriott and I have overheard from some people that many RC's feel like JW's instead. IMHO, clearly this depends on location, Grand Cayman ticks after Caribbean Island time, I presume. I now wonder how Aman would handle this location? I know they have a resort on Turks and Caicos, which is also above $1K/night, what do they different with their employees, how are they motivating them to be better and beat the competition and is it worth it for guests?

Disclosure: We have never stayed at an Aman Resort so far, but would be interested, when we had the money to do so.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't believe any property of the size/scale of the RC Grand Cayman can deliver true luxury. And certainly not the experience I would have wanted, though as I say as a result of the conference I was there for it wasn't what I was paying either. (I'd also be surprised if any conference hotel delivered at the level one would expect at that price point.)

Plenty of places in French Polynesia that draw very high room rates and have mediocre service. You're paying for being in a very beautiful place in the middle of the ocean, where labor demand is high and governance is French..!

I guess my point is simply that price alone doesn't dictate quality, nor does it guarantee it. The Aman properties are supposedly in a class of their own as far as chains go, I have't stayed at one yet myself though I do hope to. If the stories that Amanjunkies tell are to be believed, you walk away feeling like you actually got value for the price most of the time.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing what Aman commands per night, I hope that "Amanjunkies" telling the utter truth, there aren't many of them out there, I read they're counting around 300.000 people as "Amanjunkies" of them worldwide and many Aman Resorts have up to 80% repeat visitors. I also presume at least, some guests are maybe Once In A Lifetime Guests too, wanting to experience it. Nothing against this, but it's all about the service, rare locations [ like you said French Polynesia for example ] and individuality, it's expensive and exclusive, for the few, but I'm a strong believer that Aman or not, when it's supposed to be luxury like Aman or RC, whatever the cost, even when it's let's say more like $300USD a night, luxury and service, plus location and individuality can be expected too, it's all in the name IMHO.