Amalfi Questions

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Steven Schwartz, Apr 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Looking at a trip to Amalfi next Spring (2016). Would like to add another 5-6 days to the trip and would appreciate some suggestions about where to go. We've done Rome a few times, Tuscany twice, did Rapallo up North. Any suggestions about other parts of Italy that where we can get a nice taste with only 5-6 days?

As always, many thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay in Sorrento:
    1) Day trip to Capri (by ferry)
    2) Visit Positano it nice but can be a bit crowded and touristy and personally doesn't quite live up its reputation. .
    3) Highlight of our Amalfi trip was our Ravello, a must is a tour of Villa Ruffolo in the morning and Amalfi (they are close to each other) in the afternoon with a mandatory visit to the amazing duomo. Also a paper museum.
    Best restaurant choices also in Amalfi..
    4) Further afield the multiple Greek temples of Paestum and the Pottery Museum and workshops in VIetrI Sul Mare.
    5) Salerno: town center is nice< but is really just huge commercial port.

More than five days listed above.:)

Newscience likes this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spent 4 days in Sorrento as a base. Pompei, Capri, Amalfi and Sorrento.

Had I 5-6 days more ,probably would train it down to one region in Sicily.

Enjoy Sorrento.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks and I'm sorry. I was wondering where ELSE in Italy to go for 5-6 days. Sicily? East coast of Italy like Bari? Have never been to the south and wondering if I want an approximately 2 week trip that does not include the usual first trip highlights (as listed above), what people would suggest. Thanks again.

Newscience likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spend at least several days on Capri. If you like islands, do Ischia too--it's different and much more local.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Highly recommend Matera (which believe is scheduled to be the European cultural city for 2017) Town built on the side of a ravine with homes, ancient 13 century churches etc hewn from rock and with cave homes (known as sassi) where people lived for centuries, amazing underground water-works (cisterns) and if you go I can recommend a restaurant were we had one of our two top meals of all the (lots of ) eating we did our three weeks in Italy October, last year.

We also spent four days in Sicily and it was too short. Visited Palermo where we were based, the Norman cathedral in Monreale, Marsala, Enna and the two highlights of the trip both amazing hilltop towns the well known and tourist packed Taormina and smaller but no less interesting ( and far less crowded town) or Erice. There is a nice tramway from the base of the hill up to the town but the day we were there it was too windy to operate.

Should you visit Sicily I would highly recommend you spend a few nights in one of the towns on the East coast, Syracusa or Catania because driving from Palermo makes for a long haul if you want to visit places like Agrigento, (Valley of the Temples) , Ragusa, Modica (known for its fantastic chocolates) or Noto where all the buildings are constructed from a golden colored sandstone and considered the finest baroque towns in Sicily.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I was hoping Sicily was a reasonable addition. Figure we could do a week in Amalfi and a week in Sicily. Sounds wonderful. Just have to figure out which to do first!

milchap and brucewil like this.
  8. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nobody mentioned it, and I can understand why but...we have had a nice time on two day trips to Naples. Yes it is gritty. Yes it is a city. But it is another aspect of Italy. The national archeological museum is a great museum and contains most of the originals from Pompeii. We walked along the street that cuts Naples, and also did a tour of the caves.

We took a car all the way down to Paestum and had a great day doing that.

Capri is nice, but man...the hordes of people to get up the mountain and also into the caves is annoying.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We just really didn't warm up to Naples. There are things to see, no doubt. But it's still our last favorite Italian city. It definitely feels like a day trip city to me, whereas we enjoy being immersed in Rome.