Am I Too Sensitive?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rmokabe, Dec 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rmokabe

rmokabe Active Member

Status Points:
    I switched from AA (million miler) to UA once AA went Chapter 11 as a hedge (I know my miles are safe but am worried about cutbacks in destinations from my base) and have flown over 75K PQMs in 18 months. Yes this is small potatoes for many of you but real for me.

I have 49,837 PQMs for 2013 and no upcoming flights. Thought I would ask UA MP Service Center to see if there was any way to get around a mileage run to get to Star Gold. Answer- we want you to earn it! For 163 miles? Never would have been treated this way on AA. Question- am I too sensitive or does UA just treat every non-Global Services flyer like crap (the reason I have 1MM on AA in the first place)?

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Around mid-February 2012, I was on a trip in which an RPU already cleared. When I was checking in, I learned the aircraft was downgauged and the flight now oversold by 32. This station helped me out before with something they did not have to do, so I volunteered and took an awful re-route that got me a few more mile, a cert (which frankly, I didn't need either of them), Y seats and refunded my RPU. Turns out, my next flight was on March 1st, but the RPU that was refunded had an expiry of February 28th. Called three different times to Mileage Plus to explain the situation and ask for a one-day extension, was denied three different times. And I was 1K and close to 2MM. That was the first "experience" with the new United.

There are tons of these other stories about projected shortfalls here, on Flyertalk and other places. There are three things you can do:
    - Audit your account, make sure you have been properly credited for all of your flights.
    - Fly the 163 miles.
    - Don't fly the 163 miles and be content with Silver.

If the audit is fruitless, then you're going to have to decide whether Gold is worth 163 miles to you.

Today's United ain't gonna give it to you.

3. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see it as treating like crap -- they are just more strict on the rules than AA. They have a ton of elites and want to shrink the ranks (as seen from implementing the PQD scheme). They do have other CS issues (with elites and non-elites) but I don't think this is one of them. Just because they said no, doesn't mean that they are treating you like crap. However, if they wrote a nasty reply/replied to you in a condescending tone over the phone/etc, then (IMHO) that would be an issue.

LETTERBOY and mht_flyer like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is actually true.

It is possible that after the fact they'll give it to you but the only way to guarantee it is to actually fly the miles. And I'm betting there are people saying the same thing about AA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am for sure. I will be 214 miles short of ExPlt and so I will do a return from SJC on 2 American flights just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't take UA's side on many things these days, but if you have not flown 50,000 miles, then I must say that you have not met their qualifying terms for Gold. I'm sorry. This must be very frustrating, but it is what it is.

Take a quick MR and know that the new AA is going to be like the old AA (the one I left over really being treated like crap) and I'll bet that you'll soon be glad to be on this team. Doug Parker isn't going to make AA friendlier if history is any indication of the future.

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about buying Premier Accelerator (on a refundable ticket)? In most cases, it's more expensive than just flying, but the low hassle may be worth it.

Gtitan likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, yes, you are. There are requirements for * Gold, and you haven't met them.

How is being told that you must meet the requirements treating you like crap? :rolleyes:

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm perhaps you should have just said you have no idea how to help the OP :rolleyes: rather than speculate as to what AA may or may not be ...an airline you no longer fly.

But UAL is not AA.

FACT in past there has been well established anecdotal evidence that AA would/will have granted the OP status for being as close as stated to the threshold ....although just like UAL he would not have gotten a definitive answer from them before the end of the year.

Whether AA will allow for the shortfall this year is a matter of speculation what with their new buy up scheme.

To the OP I am sorry you made the wrong decision in airlines and compounded it by posting your opinion here.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP asked for an opinion. You seem to be blaming others for offering their view. Why? Isn't that the purpose of this site? Or is this the official "rant about UA and praise AA (with a bit of Hyatt rar rar rar sprinkled in)" site?

LETTERBOY, ella and Wandering Aramean like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all my initial response was directed at a specific poster who offered nothing useful relative to his opinion/complaint ( whatever one might think of it) Not sure how you could arrive at me blaming any others for their opinion .. surely I must have missed it if you indeed offered any..if anyone else could be construed as being at fault here it most be the OP no?

As far as this..." rant about UA and praise AA (with a bit of Hyatt rar rar rar sprinkled in)" site" I have absolutely no clue what you are going on about:rolleyes:

I do however find it bit ironic that you find it necessary to tell me " what this site is about" .. seems only those who agree with the herd is allowed to express their opinion here.
    And in case you are wondering THAT is exactly how I currently feel at about MP in general

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

You must be reading a different set of discussions than I am. Then again, there isn't really much content to base such a judgment on so hard to say either way, I suppose.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone is going to post their opinion on the internet, or any other kind of public forum, they'd better be prepared to deal with people telling them they're wrong.

14. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel like this should be issues to everyone who has ever gone online ...

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the same vein oh Wandering One, I just found out everything posted on the Internet is true. It has to be. It said so on the Internet.:p

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And because of KenInEscazu's post alone (one of seven replies the OP got at the time you chimed in) you came to the conclusion that the OP made a mistake posting on this site? You seriously want me to believe that?

Are you saying this site's purpose is not to allow people to express their opinion? I didn't say that you need to share my opinion to express it, and I don't necessarily agree with KenInEscazu's opinion in this thread or elsewhere. But I see nothing inappropriate in Ken's post.

Interestingly, re-reading your post, it seems to not be particularly helpful for the OP either... ironic that you complain about that in regards to Ken's post.

But then, reading the OP, I am not sure that the OP was actually looking for a solution (vs. an opportunity to express his/her frustration and perhaps get others to re-affirm the belief that UA treats everyone below GS as crap).

As for the actual issue of falling slightly short of the published threshold, I stated my view here in this very recent similar thread:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/united-1k-short-by-170-miles.74329/#post-2211996

LETTERBOY and KenInEscazu like this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I thought my reply was gentle toward thee OP. I certainly did (and do) empathize with the frustration of being so close with no help from a rigid airline policy.

I was not gentle toward AA, but that's because I endured 25 years of them being anything but gentle toward me. They earned my dislike for them, and I will continue to express when given the appropriate opportunity. This was indeed an appropriate opportunity, IMHO.

19. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some years ago, before I became a UA 1K, I was short of my 100,000 miles, and UA asked if I would like to "buy" those, to get 1K. As my wife WAS 1K, and had made 1K for the next year, and as I was about 3,000 miles short, I declined the invitation. It was several years ago, but I think that the cost would have been about US $2,000 for those 3,000 miles - maybe more, but maybe fewer.

Now, we plug in all flights, into my spreadsheet, so know fairly early on, whether we will have issues. We have taken a few Mileage Runs, when it got close, but have always made it, so I do not know if that offer from some years back, might still hold up. For 192 miles, I would head somewhere close, have lunch, then fly back - or hope that UA offers a purchase for the missing miles.

20. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't people manage their flying and keep on top of this? :rolleyes:

In the words of the DL apologists, WGFG... (WantGoldFlyGold).

UA didn't change the goalposts this qualifying year and everyone knows what they are. Those of us who fly our 100K BIS to make 1K - or 75k for PP, whichever - are not dissatisfied with UA's position on this. I don't consider their response disrespectful, unless as others have said, they made snide comments in their communications.

You can still fix this problem, though. In the words of Yoda...

Far the quest for status is.
    Buckle up for NRT you should and take it.
    Do it now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...tus-nrt-buckle-up-you-should-take-do-now.html

Even better, from 2006's annual non-requal December moan:

"MR's are cheap at this time of year and the comfort factor in achieving requalification early in the year is great. Get to GE by the end of Feb. That way I know for sure, even with minimal biz travel for 10 months, I'll still return PE at year-end. This way I can schedule a small number of brutal runs early and then back off and pick and choose my trips later in the year.
    And this means I can watch the desperate yet predictable December scramble unfold on Flyertalk with wry amusement:
    COMileHog: It's 9pm on Dec 31st and I live at EWR. I need 58 miles on CO OP to make PE. But there's no CO fare today except full Y at $5500 for a one-way to BWI in the RJ. I can't pay this amount! I don't want the RJ! Help!
    FTJackal1: HappyNewYear!
    COMileHog: Do you think they'll comp me PE with 74942 miles? I'm a CO* and I've been PE for six years now. I spend $$$$ with CO every year and grow their business. I'm a COGoodGuy!
    FTJackal2: I see a bad moon a-rising...from a nonelite seat on the 735...
    [Two months and a day later, the lamentation begins..]
    COMileHog: Aaargh! I'm flying IAH-EWR every week this month and no upgrades will clear as GE. I need to change my reward tix for six and they'll charge me $$$$ for it! Today there was an empty BF seat on EWR-MAD and they op-upped someone on an L fare who held a OP Plat card. I paid Y and I'm in the back. etc. etc."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/642929-such-early-mrs-2.html

Some things never change...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  21. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually at some time in January UA offers the chance to "buy" PQM. If you opt not to fly the miles you are short, this may be an option, if offered by UA.
    Also do you have a UA Chase CC? Some cards offer the possibility of getting PQM, such as the Presidential Plus card and Chase Select cards.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It may be an option, but no guarantees.

So you gotta ask yourself one question, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk? :D

23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    To the OP, the best thing to do is to book a cheap 1 hour flight with same day turn around to earn the needed miles. If you buy this ticket, then take a look and see what the cost is to buy extra miles and Premier Accelerator Miles.

24. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not take it personally, but see United erring on the side of acting as a business who knows that a customer is likely to make that extra flight to get to 50K. If you have any travel planned in 2014, I would book it and take advantage of the PAM offer now.

You can compare to the following last minute weekend fares:
    1) Another option may be to consider the United specials http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/booking/specials/default.aspx to see if anything appeals to you (and is from your local airport). Flights are Fri/Sat-Mon/Tues if you have the time.

2) You could also consider US Airways e-savers since they can be credited (for now) to United - travel is supposed to be for Sat-Tues but they do list Sat-Sun options for some flights - http://shopping.usairways.com/promotion/ESaver/Default.aspx

I know that these options do not answer the question in your header, but United, and all the airlines seem to be taking a harder line wrt to their bottom line (dollars) and it may be reflected in a less caring attitude towards their customers.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  25. rmokabe

rmokabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all who posted. FYI I decided to make the mileage run but will wind down from UA and transition back to AA during 2014. For those interested here's the rationale.

In the end every airline flies relatively similar equipment at about the same speed along the same routes at fairly close to the same fares. One of the reasons to accumulate FF status is to make travel a bit more civilized. I accept that the systems and the rules govern almost all the perks we may get and that my numbers are my numbers but there is something to be said for the company smart enough to add the civilizing influence of the human touch from time to time.

I am going to shoot a day out of my life and spend about $200 on a pair of useless flights because I was 0.326% below a computer's protocols. In 2014 I will use my hard won gold status to get lounge access and free Economy Plus on 2 RTs to Europe for work which will also boost my miles balance to get 3 business seats to Asia for my family.

The human touch buys a hell of a lot of revenue. Just ask anyone who's ever flown on Singapore. The rest of my 2014 travel (30K miles) and spend ($6000) will go to AA. By letting the computer rule the company and not humans UA will get $200 one time and lose $6000 this year and at least $8000 every subsequent year. Good trade.

Flyer1976 likes this.