Am I the only one donating 1-2-FREE days to my employer?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Sam Axe, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you use One-Two-Free days on expensive work rentals?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2011.
  1. Yes

15.0%
  2. Yes, but only on one-way rentals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

85.0%
  1. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a business trip this week with one of my staff, out prospecting for work and not on a paying client engagement, and she was astounded that I cashed in two One-Two-Free days to knock $190 off of our car rental. She didn't understand why I didn't keep them for my own use.

Now, I do use about half the One-Two-Free days I earn for myself. But I just can't bring myself to waste them on some of my leisure trips where the weekend special rate is $22/day. We have nominal corporate discounts with Hertz/Avis which are worse than my ES rate, but nobody forces me to use them. For that matter, nobody says a word about my choice of airline or hotel, although if the hotel rates got too far north of $300/night they would.

Am I out on my own island on this one?

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enrolled my company in the avis business program, they earn their own benefits as it is. Similar to your ff miles, you get what your time on the road earns. No problem using them for business, but definitely should not be a requirement. IOW, nice of you!

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very certain I do not reside on your island, no way I'm using any of the perks I earn via business travel for the company, UNLESS I'm 99% sure it will generate a sale.

Every company I've worked for has thankfully believed what I believe, that business travel is not fun and the 'perks' (miles/points) should remain the employee's. On a further note, most companies would reimburse me if I were to use miles/points for business related expenses.

4. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't get reimbursed because our overhead rate is audited by various government agencies. My employer definitely believes that the perks belong to the employees. But I definitely get a perk that I don't have to use Hertz and get stuck with a bunch of cars I really won't like, and I don't have to go fly a CRJ-200 on United because somebody priced it $10 less than Southwest for the same city pair. I have friends that have to go through that nonsense, and it would drive me insane.

If throwing a couple of low-value excess free days at them means that they'll be happy with me renting ES and getting upgraded to Grand Cherokees, Journeys, and Escapes most of the time, so be it.

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think what you'll find (unfortunately) is the gratitude is not reciprocal and if they decide to increase controls/limit choices, they will regardless of what you have contributed via the vouchers or not. In the end, are they really making a difference (is anyone even aware of their use) other than you?

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    is my concern as well
    good point, my way of proving to doubting mgr's the benefit of status was to get them put on my flight when theirs had a mechanical or give them an upgrade on an international trip, suddenly all those questions such as "you know, there are cheaper carriers than United" went bye bye.

7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am my own boss, but I recently donated some miles to reduce the cost of an airplane ticket for one of my employees to fly to MCO to supervise a client's job during Spring Break.

Knowing this client was on a pretty strict budget for the show, I was flabergasted when I saw the cost of an AS coach ticket SEA/MCO--$1,645 for a coach ticket. [​IMG] Since it was important to me to have this employee on a nonstop on AS, I decided to used miles to reduce the cost of the ticket. The client knew I had done this and was appreciative of my concern. They are a good client, well worth the investment for their goodwill.

8. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.

The question always will be if the gesture is appreciated of course. But I find that being mindful and sensible has gotten me a lot of leeway. For certain business trips I tag on a couple of days or other flights, which reduce the amount of money the university would've had to spend on flying me back. Often there's absolutely no qualm for an extra night or two at a hotel, since they've seen that it can drop an airfare by double the amount spent on those nights...

I've used my miles to get a friend/co-worker to a conference / job-site, and my boss (for that trip ;D) was very appreciative.

9. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    My way was to buy a hotel room at $1/night on priceline back in the golden days, and then ask for only 1/2 the reimbursement (e.g. $3.70 instead of $7.40) because one of the nights was for personal reasons. The CFO thought I was a flipping idiot, but she has never questioned my decision-making on any of probably 250 expense reports since then. :) My former manager (now the CEO) just admonishes me from time to time to remember not to spend more time thinking about how to save money than the money I'm saving, and leaves me alone.

Back in the day, I'd also offer various SVPs who were just UA 1P expiring UA CR1s for transcon use. That helps too.

10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One of my employees did this recently and I told her she was CRAZY! After all, we have a corporate account with National and already get free day certificates with them. I tell my folks to KEEP their free days and use them on vacations. After all, my toughest road warriors regularly log 1,500+ miles on their five day trips to prospect or see clients and I believe it's my responsibility to pay for that. Their free days are theirs to use. (And the free days I get for the company... those get gifted to some of my star non-travel employees so they too can have travel perks on their vacations... and I do the same with our company's Business ExtrAA perks.)

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that you are the management is a whole different scenario than an employee putting up some of their own miles/points/free days for a business purpose..

Just curious, would you expect an employee (who you knew had miles) to pony up for the trip (w/no reimbursement to the employee) like you did? (if you didn't have the miles)

12. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I would most certainly not expect them to pony up their own miles or points, nor would I want them to do so, unless it was for something they particularly wanted for themselves--like an upgrade.

Yesterday and today I was on a business trip with an employee (who also happens to be my son). A couple of times I caught him ready to pay for something with his own cash and told him to just put it on his corporate card. I figured I had taught him better. ;)

This reminds me of a really funny employee who used to insist on returning his unspent per diem. :D :D Our accountant had a heck of a time trying to explain to him that once he had chosen per diem , rather than using his corporate card for food on a trip, that the government simply did not provide a method for the company taking back any unspent funds. He was overall the very best employee we ever had all the way around, but, of course, I feel that way about a number of my employees. ;)

13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat. I donate my travel benefits to my employer (me) all the time. Sometimes I'll use miles, free rentals, etc. to offset costs of conferences or prospecting trips. Sometimes I'll use them for leisure trips. Sometimes I'll combine the two and go see a couple of potential clients and hit a nearby ski slope or beach.