Am I missing any ways to get Southwest points?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Lyssa, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I have six Southwest credits that will start to expire this Dec. I want to try to earn the 12,000 points I will need to keep them and this will most likely be without flying. I don't know if this is doable at all or not. I just signed up for their dining program, so will use that. It seems like they don't have the surveys and shopping sites like United and American, unless I'm missing something.

Any other ideas of how to rack up some non-flight points?

TIA!

2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Credit Card!

m. thread

Mikel likes this.
  3. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'm probably going to try later in the year. I received an AA Citi card recently and just applied for the CO Chase card for the 50,000 miles bonus. I didn't get an instant approval for the CO and I have good credit, so I can only assume it was for too many inquires in a short time? It's too bad that so many of the good cards are with Chase, I also wouldn't mind getting the Priority Club, but I need to pace myself. :)

It would be super easy if I could get the card, those bonus points would be enough to make up my points. :)

4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add to that, I also applied and got approved for the Cap One card for the 100,000 mile match, so it has been a few inquiries lately. Ugh.

aitchly likes this.
  5. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are planning on renting cars or staying in hotels, your options are limited. If SPG will come back with a transfer, then you could use that card (unless you are without that one as well).

If you have a business, the application restrictions are somewhat different than personal apps.

As is, I would leave it alone, but plan on applying for the card in Oct/Nov . . . spacing out any new apps to Summer at the latest. If you want to apply for a bunch at the end of the year - AOR!

Mikel and Lyssa like this.
  6. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas! I will have several hotel stays this Spring/Summer, so I can try to set them up for Southwest miles. I've always been a traveler, but am a total newbie to the whole miles/points thing. I really just started with it this Feb when I applied for a Citi AA card, and then I think I got a bit greedy with all of the bonus offers. :) I can honestly say that I have had many, many flights over the years and didn't give a frequent flyer number at all (oh the horror)!

I just knew that I would be flying on Southwest a few times in 2010 so I signed up for their club. I know a lot of people don't like the new program, but for someone like me that only flys a few times a year, now it is actually usuable. Before I don't think I would ever get enough credits before my old credits would start to expire.

BTW, I actually do have a business (I sell Longaberger baskets) so maybe I will check out the business card. I applied for the Citi AA biz card as well and they are putting me through all kinds of hoops to prove my biz name (it's just a home based business so I don't have seperate utlities or anything). Maybe I can apply and use my name as the business name? I do file a schedule C with my taxes, but Citi won't accept tax forms as a document, which seems crazy.

Mikel and miles and smiles like this.
  7. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: If anyone cares, I called Chase and got approval for the CO card over the phone. It was kind of weird, they said I got selected for fraud monitoring. ??? I had to answer all of these questions about my previous addresses, previous jobs, etc. Then I got the approval. They told me they had to make sure no one was stealing my identity to apply for the card. That was a new one for me.

8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lyssa: I am in the same boat as you..not alot of flying etc, but cashing in this year on CC bonuses etc...
    I applied at the end of the year for the AA card (75K)... then also the United card from Chase. Just got that a few months ago with the 50K bonus. I went ahead and took a chance to apply for the SW card from Chase... just got that also. They didn't deny me...which I thought they might since I just opened another card with them. (I also just applied for Cap One card). So you might want to try applying .....

I need to "cap off" the 8 SW credits I have from last year and need 9600 more for to earn a flight. The only way I can do that is the SW credit card and the SW dining program!!!

Lyssa likes this.
  9. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Transfers from Priority Club are still possible. It's not that the rate is good - 10,000 PC points to 2,400 at Southwest - but it's fairly easy to earn PC bonus points. There are plenty of stay promo codes. Additionally, last fall, the Anywhere Challenge earned people 12K-15K. The trivia challenge offered the possibility of a lot, and I earned 25K (we'll see if they post).

Lyssa likes this.
  10. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to get serious and look at the hotel transfers closely. I mainly use Choice or Priority Club and I think they both have transfers. I never know if it's better to choose airline rewards as your earning, or earn hotel points and then use the transfer rate.

11. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or 3rd option: stay in a Hilton property and do both.

12. Hi Lyssa! I have four flight credits from the old program as well expiring in October. I believe we have a full year after they expire to renew them, I would double check that... If its right, you may have some extra time to wait and apply for those CCs.

Anyways though, my question is about you saying you needed 12k points to save them. Where did you hear that from? You only need 2k points/ticket to preserve it? That would be great value as I always thought I would need to pay the $50/ticket to preserve them. Please let me know! and thanks and good luck!

13. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go into your account and click on where are my old credits, then it tells you how many points you need to convert to credits to make your award. I believe 1,200 points will make one old credit.