Am I entitled to a refund of miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by brucewil, Sep 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I should just be grateful that I got a much better routing home, but I was wondering if I was entitled to a refund of 10K miles? I was originally booked on a UA award ticket TLV/IST/ORD/PHL.That award priced out at 80K miles as it was on TK. Due to a TK schedule change I would have misconnected in IST. I was able to get a new routing home on UA metal nonstop from TLV/EWR. There were no saver awards available in biz, only standard awards, but they ticketed me anyway. So now my question is am I entitled to a refund of the difference between the 80K saver and the 70K saver award since I am now flying on UA's own metal?

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Probably not. I think this falls into the category of "they got you home", and with better routing.

vickers and ContinentalFan like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it may be looking a gift horse in the mouth, especially since UA forced the I inventory open for you, technically you are due the refund. Assuming the booking was forced into I (not JN) and that you're willing to have the conversation on the phone, you can probably get the refund. Just call back in and explain to an agent that you changed the flights to be on UA metal and that those awards are less expensive. They also are likely to recalculate the taxes which should result in a refund there, I'd bet.

brucewil and Newscience like this.
  4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:

I almost feel guilty calling, but I figure it never hurts to ask, right?

Wandering Aramean and skyvan like this.
  5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called. It didn't hurt to ask. I got back 10K miles each plus $12 each in fees. I do feel guilty. (A little).

Now if I can only get better routing on the outbound!

6. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never feel guilty, after all, you're butt's the one stuck in a UA business class seat on a long-haul flight.