Am I E+ eligible on a Biz award redemption?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mikus33, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got a TATL award ticket to DUB booked through UA on UA and US. Am I eligible for free E+ on the domestic flights to get me to the CLT-DUB leg?

If I'm not eligible in the case above, then what about this situation: If I was booked in first on the TATL leg and Y on the domestic flights (due to availability), would I then be eligible for free E+? (I'm actually booked in First on the way back on all legs, but I was just curious about the answer)

Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a UA MP member? If so, do you have status (Silver - 1K)? If the answer is "no" to both then you must purchase E+. Purchasing an F ticket for a segment does not qualify you for E+ in any other segment. To travel in E+, you must have status in MP or pay for it. There have also been cases of *A Golds getting complimentary seating in E+.

AZjohn likes this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other thing, I think if a MP premier booked your award you get the same status as them on your flight (I think this is a oldCO thing).

4. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm a UA MP member (if by that you mean I have a mileage account with them), but I have no status. I figured I wasn't eligible for the E+, but I figured it was worth asking the question. Thanks for the help.

I booked it myself, so no luck there, but thanks for the info.

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    This doesn't make much sense. If you have redeemed a C class reward, and domestic C is waitlisted, how can UA justify putting someone in Y- and not Y+? It may follow the rules, but certainly doesn't feel like the spirit, at least IMHO.

theBOAT

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to elaborate about what it is that you feel "doesn't make much sense" because I do not understand what you are objecting to in my response...

7. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cut down your previous quote to the part I was specifically commenting on in my post above.

What I was trying to say is that the OP is indeed "paying" for a premium class ticket, and is only not flying in domestic F because of lack of award bucket space. Therefore, I would argue that the next best (and I use the word best loosely) class of service should be provided, since he's a displaced passenger in my opinion, even though by their policy UA does not agree.

theBOAT

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP described two scenarios: one actual or real case, and one hypothetical.
    a) Actual case: I've got a TATL award ticket to DUB booked through UA on UA and US. Am I eligible for free E+ on the domestic flights to get me to the CLT-DUB leg?

In this scenariio, nothing qualifies the OP for free E+ on any domestic flights to CLT. S/he has got to pay for it.

Hypothetical case: If I was booked in first on the TATL leg and Y on the domestic flights (due to availability), would I then be eligible for free E+?

Because the only reason the OP would not be flying in domestic XF is lack of availability, a case could be made that s/he deserves to fly in E+. But this case needs to be made at the time of booking the award and have the seat assigned at that time at the discretion of the agent, since UA has a specific policy regarding who gets to fly in E+. Once the PNR is generated and the OP is shown to be in Y, the only way s/he can select an E+ seat later is to pay for it because the system will not remember that the OP had wanted to book an XF seat but could not due to availability.

9. United Connection

United Connection Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are not materially different.

To the OP: No, you won't be entitled to E+. Yes, the policy doesn't make any sense.

theBOAT likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only 'material difference' that I wished to suggest was the human element, otherwise the cases are the same...

11. United Connection

Status Points:
    I understand what you meant, and I still don't think an award ticket in F vs an award ticket in C makes any difference even in the "human element." This isn't Aeroplan...

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to belabor this point but if I were in a similar situation, I would have asked to speak with the 'supervisor' to try to have him/her accommodate me given the circumstances (I have the miles but there are no seats). The supervisor could agree or decline but that is the purely human element I am referring to, which not unlike some GA deciding to give E+ access to non-UA *Gs although that is not a benefit they are entitled to...

13. United Connection

Status Points:
    Not disagreeing. Point was that the C/F distinction doesn't make a difference; both situations should elicit the same sympathies given it was not a Y award that was paid for.