Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sharris503, Mar 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are thinking about taking a short 7 day trip to Ireland in September with the kids. By September they will be 10 months and 2.5 years old. We would stopover in Boston for a couple of days and then use avios to go to Dublin and stopover again in Boston on the return leg to PDX. So we would be breaking up the flights and giving the kids some time to adjust. That is the plan as far as the flying goes but am I a crazy to be thinking of essentially taking a 1 year old and a 2 year old and dragging them around Ireland for 7 days? We have traveled with the 2 year old a bunch (not internationally) and unless we decide to go to San Diego this spring this would be the younger baby's first flight.

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We traveled to Ireland many years ago when my kids were 1,3 and 6 years old. We started them traveling from birth and my youngest who is now 20 has been to over 35 different countries.

While they will not remember this trip when they are older, it is a great experience for them and they will have a good time as will you.

We actually rented a motorhome while there (which I do not recommend), although we used it for driving and stayed in hotels. The motorhome was small by our standards, however I could not turn onto another street in Dublin without going on the sidewalk. People looked at us as if we were from Mars.

Even though they were young, the kids really enjoyed Ashford Castle when we stayed there and we were able to take a carriage ride and a boat ride on the grounds.

The kids also enjoyed the waterpark at Tramore.

I would just recommend being flexible with your daily schedule to allow some play time for the kids.

akcae and jbcarioca like this.
  3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how well behaved you feel the kids would be, those are reasonably long flights. I'm not one of those people who says "Oh they're too young to remember it." If you think they can handle the flights and would be relatively well behaved, I'd take them. Just leave plenty of time for daily activities in case they aren't fully cooperative with whatever you want to do at that moment. You know your kids better than we do, just make sure you can work with them!

Also, if you have to ask if you're crazy, in the rest of the world the answer is usually yes, on a frequent flyer forum when asking about flying, the answer is always no! :D

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking back to what I enjoyed as a little kid (according to my parents and their endless slide shows), it was beach vacations and me digging giant holes at the beach.

I now observe the same thing with my young relatives. So personally, that's probably the type of vacation I would choose with little ones.

As for the flights... No way to tell, how the kids will handle it without trying.

sobore, Sweet Willie and MX like this.
  5. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the beach thing, we go to Hawaii every year and the kids love it!. Thinking Ireland for something different. Being on the west coast, Hawaii would certainly be easier.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree fully with this.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.