Am I correct? Cannot use BA miles to MFU an I fare on AA 3-class flight

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by DCtrAAveler, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Covering all the bases as I've also asked this over on FT. I think from what I've read that I cannot use my BA miles to MFU into F from an I fare, but would like to confirm with the experts. Scenario: I'm flying MIA-CDG via LHR in late June, with the MIA-LHR leg on AA 56 (777). I've purchased an I fare. I know I could use AA miles + copay to MFU into F, but I'm curious to see if I could use my BA miles. Since it's not full fare, I think the answer is no. Appreciate your confirmation or clarification.

2. ben senise
    Original Member

ben senise Silver Member

Status Points:
    i believe that you are correct. to the best of my knowledge one cannot use BAEC miles to upgrade on any airline other than BA itself.

3. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    I is not an eligible booking class for upgrading on AA using BA miles.
    Not correct any more. With the BA, IB, AA hookup you can now use each others miles to upgrade on the partners in certain situations.
    From BA.com:

Horse and gleff like this.
  4. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, all. Got an answer on FT also, and I was right. Not only is I not a fare I could MFU, I also hadn't purchased the tickets from BA, so I was doubly out of luck. :(

5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had determined some time ago that the ability to use BA miles to upgrade on AA was limited and not a very good value. I would like to be shown that this view is dead wrong since it is possible, I have not seen the light.

6. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So, reading such a chart am I correct that say upgrading and AA flight from USA to South America is 50K miles? Seems a bit rich.

7. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its somewhat comparable to what it would cost to use AA miles to upgrade on AA to South America. The business to first amounts are the same, the economy to business upgrades seem to be a bit more expensive. If you are miles rich, it may be worth it.