Am I being gameified?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by LarryInNYC, Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Should LarryInNYC Mattress Run?

1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

55.6%
  1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't normally do mattress runs (and have never done a mileage run), but I recently signed up for IHG's Big Win (and a whole bunch of other codes) prior to a business trip in which the client preferred the Intercontinental. By the simple expedient of splitting that week-long stay into two I'm now halfway through the Big Win (or, in my case, more like the Medium Win since my total haul would only be 50,000 points).

I find myself needing two brands and one Saturday stay to run the field, garnering 43,000 more points in the bargain. I have no further hotel stays needed this year, although I do occasional travel to a work location about 2 hours from home where I could reasonably work in a hotel stay.

Should I do it? Two nights for 43K points?

2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the cost? For me that would be the deciding factor. I was able to to my Big Win for 4 nights at $325.00. So I got 201,000 points for that price. It was worth it to me. I hope to use the points in San Francisco and possibly Munich. The San Fran trip I think will give me great value.

LarryInNYC and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember: you don't have to stay in the hotel, just physically check in. Assuming you can get a couple of $100 (or $60) nights, I'd do it. If nothing else, it will top off that account, making it useful for occasional PointsBreak nights.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LarryInNYC likes this.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you are being gameified <;-)

LarryInNYC likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, quite high. I normally Priceline hotels, the one in Allentown I stayed at once on business for about $50 a night is $100 through the IHG web site -- and I assume you have to book through them and have a points-qualifying stay for it to count for the Big Win?

I'm going to keep this in the back of my mind, but not go out of my way to find those two extra nights.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH, $100 to avoid two two-hour commutes doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

B1BomberVB and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were at this facility two days in a row it would be a no-brainer, but I only visit for a day at a time.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprise! I actually completed this game.

We planned a last minute trip to New Mexico which required early morning flights from Philadelphia and Albuquerque. In each case it made sense to stay at an airport hotel the night prior to the flight (in Philadelphia doubly so because for $20 we added free parking for the seven day trip) and in each case a different IHG brand was at or very near the lowest price for four people. The last stay was a 12/29 checkout, and I'm now waiting for the final stay -- which should complete the Big Win -- to post.

So, well gameified, IHG. (Perhaps fortunately, the 1Q 2014 "offer" I received is pretty lousy).