Am I asking too much?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brucewil, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am lifetime Gold with AA. My wife and I recently traveled from Philly to Puerta Vallarta on AA in F. I thought because we were traveling to another country that we would be entitled to club lounge access. My wife called the Aadvantage desk the night before our flight to verify that. We were told yes we would be given access.

Now the dilemma. When we got there, we were denied access because Mexico is considered Caribbean and that is not considered international for this purpose. I had two complimentary Admiral club passes at home that I would have brought with me had I know I would need them.

I wrote the Admirals club and asked for comp passes for our return, or reimbursement for the purchase, and to my surprise, my request was denied.

Am I expecting too much?

Aktchi and Kalboz like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds frustrating indeed. :(

The AA rep who told you that you'd have access was not correct, and the AAgents at the AC were indeed correct. There's no need to call AA since they post this information on the AA.com website. The section on AC access for premium passenger says:

Customers in First or Business Class traveling to or from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from the benefit of lounge access. Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a First or Business Class ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day or before 6:00 a.m. the following day. Stopovers are not permitted.

Sadly, someone's wires got crossed. I'm a little torn on this one. Yes, it's annoying and bad form that an employee gave you the wrong information. I'm not sold on the idea that you're due much compensation for this misstep though.

My personal opinion? This is something I'd let go. Save your complaints for something bigger. :)

LETTERBOY, MyTravels, Aktchi and 2 others like this.
  3. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not one to look up info like this on a website. I prefer to ask a live person. I totally understand the club's position as it is supposed to be exclusive. The frustrating part is that I had the passes already. I will probably just buy the two passes and let it go. I have an AA gift card that I got from a sign up bonus. Hopefully I can use that at the club when I get there.

zpaul and Kalboz like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    To each their own, but involving another person can sadly mean issues like this cropping up. While ideally employees would say the right thing 100% of the time, they're human and they make mistakes. Going to some place like the website where the policy is written and easily accessed means you can save yourself that trouble.

While perhaps the data on the website is out of date, at least in that case you have written proof that misinformation was given. It's hard to leverage AA into giving you compensation when it's a he said/she said issue.

LETTERBOY, Skye1, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Lesson learned.

zpaul and Kalboz like this.
  6. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    One lesson I learned is that I always carry all my travel perks with me in a small wallet. That way I can be as best prepared that I can be. I hate that feeling of "damn if I had just brought it with me". I would travel with those AC passes at all times. You never know when you will need them.

Personally, I would only complain if I didn't get something I was policy-required/entitled to get. In this case, policy is no to AC. Even if someone told me I would, oh well. Policy is the word. Sometimes policy is not followed and people get benefit. I see lots of people who don't say boo when they accidently benefit from something against policy, but then complain when they don't get something when they shouldn't. I don't roll that way. (This has nothing to do with you personal situation, it's just kinda within subject)

7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    They ended up making a common sense decision in the end. I am going to buy the one day passes and they will reimburse me when I send them the passes that I had at home. No harm, no foul.

MyTravels, anabolism, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite honestly the Admirals Clubs are not worth $50 a shot, there are nicer places at airports today. But let this be a lesson: i) always consult the website, never trust a phone agent; and ii) if you have vouchers, certs, membership cards or anything else related to your trip, take them along! (Do you travel without dental floss and a tooth brush/paste?)

Skye1, Kalboz and funtrainsf like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope I'm wrong but I'm going to predict your "resolution" will not be processed as smoothly as you envision.

10. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an email from a specific person at the Admiral club who is handling this, so I think I will be OK. It's good to see that they took care of someone with lifetime status in what i thought was a prompt and fair way.

anabolism, Mike Reed and zpaul like this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's really annoying is that customers traveling even in F don't get an access to AC.

viguera likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is that annoying? It's not a benefit of domestic F travel but it is included for international travel. The US is much different than Europe and consumers here pay for things differently. AC access is EASY to get aside from simply buying it if you travel enough to make it worth it. AMEX Platinum, for example, gets you quite a few lounges - AA, US and DL, plus no-copay PriorityPass lounges. Several other cards offer a $27 copay PP Select.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get their with AmEx. But still, if someone is paying full F I'm really surprised that AA wants to charge them $50 more to use the club.

14. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC is available to F (and J)-paying customers flying Transcon (JFK-SFO, JFK-LAX, MIA-LAX).

druiddation likes this.
  15. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The capacity is just not there to start something like that. Look at the amount of first class domestic seats flying out of ORD or DFW. I did a quick count of mainline departures from DFW between 5-6pm and count 43 flights. Some of those are international, but even if 35 are domestic, at a minimum 16 seats per flight, that's over 500 passengers in just an hour that would get access. Add in that departing or connecting passengers may show an hour or two early and that 500 could double to 1,000. Just not enough seats.

TravelScrounger, Skye1 and foxberg like this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have a point.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the OP's frustration, since he (?) specifically asked, and based on that information, didn't bring the passes.

If it were me, I'd chalk it up to "Oh well, next time I'll know better" because the passes aren't a huge cost (unlike, say, being unable to fly in booked first class) and the OP can presumably use them another time.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear this, and glad that you're satisfied with the result.

19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines have rather funny ideas about geography. Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean are considered domestic, but (at least for AA) Mexico City is international. Depending on the type of ticket, all of the Caribbean (even Curaçao, which is right off the coast of Venezuela) is considered North America (but if you were to fly ever so slightly west and land in Venezuela you'd be in South America).

20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    How was the trip?

21. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trip was awesome! We stayed at the St. Regis Punta Mita. Awesome place.

anabolism likes this.
  22. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had $50 USD to spend at a domestic US airport, I'm not sure I'd spend it an an AAdmirals Club.

If I had an AA Gift Card in hand, still valid, I'm not sure I'd use it for a day-pass.

I'd put it towards the next flight I'd take on the airline that seems to have "resolved" this quite kindly towards you.

Aktchi likes this.
  23. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a 3 1/2 hour layover at DFW.

24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a lot to do at DFW for 3.5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a confirmation email today from AA stating they were refunding the money I paid for the two passes to the Admirals club. I mailed in to them the passes I had here at home that I would have brought with on the trip had I not been given misinformation the night before by the AADVANTAGE line. Thanks AA.

anabolism and John777 like this.