Am Ex Small Business Saturday--November 26

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by tarheelblue, Oct 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://about.americanexpress.com/news/pr/2011/sbs-soc.aspx

Consumer Incentives to Shop on Small Business Saturday
    FedEx recently announced it would inject $1 million into the small business economy in support of Small Business Saturday by distributing 40,000 $25 Shop SmallSM American Express® gift cards for use at small businesses on November 26. A total of 30,000 gift cards are available, first-come-first-serve, beginning November 1 on facebook.com/FedEx. FedEx will distribute an additional 10,000 gift cards directly to customers.

For the second year in a row, American Express will help drive traffic through the doors of small businesses with a special incentive: a $25 statement credit offer for Cardmembers when they register their Card and spend $25 or more on Small Business Saturday at any qualifying small business that accepts the American Express Card. Cardmembers will be able to register their cards in early November.

Some additional info: https://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday?sk=wall

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this. This was a great promo last Nov.
    I have written myself a reminder for registering on Nov. 1.

alohastephen and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto on both!

4. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if there is a way to participate in this online? I'm going to be overeas on that day. :confused:

5. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You would be better off participating over the phone --- the purchase must process on a particular day.

6. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In 2010, online purchases were not eligible, IIRC. Don't give up hope, though. Last year, on the day after Small Business Day, they extended the offer through the end of the year.
    This is a great program, and a win-win for consumers and local merchants.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. This program indeed is great and I do certainly hope it is extended past Thanksgiving so I an utilize this year. Will be out of country for Thanksgiving.

8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting that. I almost forgot that there are two different promos going on with Small Business Saturday.
    I was able to register both of my AMEX cards. Hopefully I will get credit on both as I did in last year's extended promo.

alohastephen and deant like this.
  10. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Registered both my AmEx cards as well, and I didn't need the extended timeframe last year (there's a wine shop in town) ;). As a helpful note, I could not get the registration to submit with Firefox 7, so I had to break out IE ...

11. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Registered both my Amex cards.
    Also have a Citi Amex and decided to try and register it as well and got a confirmation email for it too.
    Anyone with experience from last year can confirm that the $25 credit will post for the Citi Amex?

alohastephen likes this.
  12. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will AMEX AU cards be qualify?

alohastephen likes this.
  13. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's the T&C from their facebook page (my emphasis added in the first sentence):
    https://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday?sk=app_183558821725512

"To be eligible for the Small Business Saturday $25 statement credit, you must (1) register any valid U.S. American Express® Consumer Card or Business Card by clicking on the link at www.facebook.com/shopsmall and follow the directions provided, and (2) use that Card to make a purchase of $25 or more at a small business on November 26, 2011. Registration starts November 1, 2011 and is limited. Limit one statement credit per registered Card, regardless of the number of transactions you make using that Card. Additionally, if you received a $25 statement credit in connection with Small Business Saturday through American Express’ offer on Foursquare, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit through this offer.

Eligible small business merchants are independently owned small businesses located in the United States that accept the American Express Card. Purchases made at large or national chain stores, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible. Prepaid, Corporate Cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.

If your registered Card is replaced during the promotional period, please call the customer service number on the back of your Card for assistance. Statement credits are generally issued within 5 business days after your qualifying purchase, but may take up to 2 billing cycles to post to your account. Additional terms apply; see Registration Terms & Conditions for details."

I would suggest to anyone who is not sure if their card qualifies to simply call the number on the back of their card and ask the Am Ex Customer Service rep for clarification. My experience from last year is that the phone reps have a pretty good knowledge of the promotion.

alohastephen and deant like this.
  14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did not have any problem with Firefox.

Was able to register all my wife and my AMEX cards.

Nice to see this promotion come back.

alohastephen likes this.
  15. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just registered all 6 of my AMEX cards. Still have to do my wife's cards. Looking forward to the free spending!

alohastephen likes this.
  16. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had 2 Citi Amex cards last year and got the credit on both

alohastephen and PointHoarder like this.
  17. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice free spending for you! I registered my 6 cards & 4 for my wife.

alohastephen and wheat27 like this.
  18. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! Registered my 4 cards - wish I had more or at least more authorized spenders

alohastephen and MLW20 like this.
  19. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 cards isn't too shabby! Enjoy the $100 free spend.

alohastephen and wheat27 like this.
  20. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    We should definitely make a list of things we used the free credit on when 11/26 comes :)

21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last year I bought xmas presents at a local toy store. Went shopping there because it was a small business and I found neat stuff I would not have found at a big chain store. I may be back there this year.

dhammer53, alohastephen and Jimgotkp like this.
  22. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of getting some gift cards to restaurants & local stores. It would make things pretty easy.

alohastephen and Jimgotkp like this.
  23. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have my eye on a couple of wine stores where I should be able to get a fair number of quality bottles that I necessarily wouldn't buy because of the price tag. This will give me a good excuse to 'test' them out.

alohastephen and Andyandy like this.
  24. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I did last year. This year, I've got six cards registered, so I'm including a visit to a new homebrewing shop that a friend just opened.

alohastephen likes this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a number of Amex cards. I've got them all registered...I will be buying $25 gift certificates at a nearby AAdvantage Dining restaurants. Based on how I understand these Amex credits post, I think I'll be able to get the 5 miles per dollar from AD in addition to the full credit from Amex.