Always late to the game...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by goheerow, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems I'm always late in taking advantage of the best credit card promos. I just received my shiny new hhonors Amex last week and was really excited it came with a 20k point bonus after first purchase. It's got other bonus points but that entails actual stays, which I won't be doing anytime soon (due to my newborn). Anyways, I saw an old blog post that mentioned a nice bonus for the same card with 20k points on first purchase and something like 30k more after a certain amount spent (I'm sure you're all familiar with this 3 month old and expired promo).

Any pros out there that can give me some input or advice on somehow sweet talking Amex into giving the extra points up? I'm already a loyal Amex customer with a different card, but after an email to them, no dice. I've asked for Chase Sapphire points on occassion (as I'm sure some of you new Sapphire holders have) and they always seem to care about my loyalty.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there an offer code attached to the one you want? If so, send a secure message to AMEX or give a call to a CSR agent. AMEX CSR agents seem to have more "power" in terms of granting an offer match from what I've been reading with the Gold and Platinum cards.

Otherwise, you are out of luck and will have to churn that card in order to qualify for the additional points. Of course, it's a bad decision to churn a card so early..

goheerow likes this.
  3. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems the promos on most blogs only have direct links to them so no codes there. And unfortunately I'm a lowly Costco Amex holder so no gold or plat benefits either. Looks like I'm collecting hhonors points the old fashioned way. Thanks anyways.

4. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check the direct link - it may have a promo code embedded in it. And don't worry, there are plenty of opportunities for mileage earning via CC signups!

Jimgotkp and goheerow like this.
  5. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Had a similar problem with a friend. I just called and spoke with a customer service rep and said there was a better promotion 20K first purchase and 30K after spending $500 in first 3 months and that I had a print out I could fax in. They said fax it, and a week later the 30K points showed up in my friend's account. good luck!

goheerow likes this.
  6. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    This got me excited again. I'll try it. Thanks.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  7. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can find the link to the application here - so you can tell them you have it to fax in: http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm Look under "Free Cards", Scroll down to Hilton Honors - the AMEX $500 link. Good luck

goheerow likes this.
  8. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I've written them to see if they'd even consider it so I'll update my progress soon.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  9. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's back to the drawing board. Asked nicely and mentioned that I had the promo in hand ready to fax, but no dice. Thanks all for chiming in.